More Tracer 9 GT Problems

BVEBRAD

On 4/14/2022 at 12:11 PM, BVEBRAD said:

Just wanted to update with the latest issue I've been experiencing with my T9.  I have been noticing a "lunging" on the bike when coming to a gradual stop while applying a light front brake.  I had the dealer check it while performing my ECU reflash from the recall.  They found both front rotors warped.  New rotors have been ordered.  I hate to be so negative but this bike has been nothing but a PITA since the first week of ownership.  Hopefully once the rotors are replaced this will be it for a while as far as problems go.

Final Update, in regards to my brake issues, Yamaha replaced my rotors, brake pads and brake assembly (?????) under warranty.  The bike is now the way it should be and I'm loving it.

I have noticed one thing since the reflash from the recall.  While engine braking the bike shows down as you expect it to then all of a sudden the compression seems to "let go" causing a slight surge.  Nothing I'm concerned about but once the warranty expires I will be getting a reflash by 2 Wheel Dyno Works.  They did a great job with my old FJ09.

• Thumbsup 1
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 5:10 PM, BVEBRAD said:

Final Update, in regards to my brake issues, Yamaha replaced my rotors, brake pads and brake assembly (?????) under warranty.  The bike is now the way it should be and I'm loving it.

I have noticed one thing since the reflash from the recall.  While engine braking the bike shows down as you expect it to then all of a sudden the compression seems to "let go" causing a slight surge.  Nothing I'm concerned about but once the warranty expires I will be getting a reflash by 2 Wheel Dyno Works.  They did a great job with my old FJ09.

Exact same issue on mine after the factory recall. 
 Pretty impressed that yamaha just let this slip. So many cant even seem to feel it however, my buddy with the exact same bike claimed he did not have this issue after reflash. Obviously he has, he just does not notice. So whatever, a reflash once warrenty expires sounds like a good idea regardless. 

• Thumbsup 1

Last couple of days, I’ve been paying close attention to this “surging” issue during decel. It occurs consistently on my 21 T9GT. FWIW I ride only in D-Mode 1 and have not tried the other modes to see if it acts differently there. I assume that it does not.

Decel in lower gears, let off throttle the bike decel strongly. Then, a couple seconds later (perhaps speed determined) the engine braking suddenly lightens up, as if compression were released or a tiny bit of gas is given the motor to lessen the effect of the decel. Afterward, normal slow to a stop.

Weird. I can’t recall any other bike in my past that did this. It must be programmed in for a reason. I can’t imagine why. Maybe the designers felt the compression related decel is too strong for a normal slow to stop?  If the decel continues for more than a couple of seconds, add a bit of gas to make it milder. But why?

• Thumbsup 1

I'm plan on having my dealer contact Yamaha to see what they have to say.  My FJ09 never did anything like this so I can't believe it's intentional.  Yamaha seems to be having their share of problems with this revised engine.

Brad
Selbyville, DE