More Tracer 9 GT Problems

BVEBRAD

Just wanted to update with the latest issue I've been experiencing with my T9.  I have been noticing a "lunging" on the bike when coming to a gradual stop while applying a light front brake.  I had the dealer check it while performing my ECU reflash from the recall.  They found both front rotors warped.  New rotors have been ordered.  I hate to be so negative but this bike has been nothing but a PITA since the first week of ownership.  Hopefully once the rotors are replaced this will be it for a while as far as problems go.

Edited by BVEBRAD
  • Sad 1
Brad
Selbyville, DE

I posted elsewhere on this. The way OP describes it as a “lunging” as the bike slows in-gear. I feel this too. I don’t see how this could be caused by warped rotor(s). Warped rotor would cause a rhythmic pulsing I think. Not a sudden “lunge”.

Assuming we’re talking about the same thing. I’ve noticed it in particular since the recall flash. Not sure I recall it before the flash. It isn’t alarming in any sense. I suspect it is a result of ecu programming.

Ok I re-read the OP. I think he may be describing a warped rotor IF the lunging is also a pulse. The pulse slows frequency as the bike slows under light braking. Just a rotor problem. No biggie. Very common. 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, BVEBRAD said:

Hopefully once the rotors are replaced this will be it for a while as far as problems go.

I hope so, too.  I would think your experience to be an anomaly.

Good luck this season - hope you get some trouble-free rides in!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

On 4/14/2022 at 9:11 AM, BVEBRAD said:

Just wanted to update with the latest issue I've been experiencing with my T9.  I have been noticing a "lunging" on the bike when coming to a gradual stop while applying a light front brake.  I had the dealer check it while performing my ECU reflash from the recall.  They found both front rotors warped.  New rotors have been ordered.  I hate to be so negative but this bike has been nothing but a PITA since the first week of ownership.  Hopefully once the rotors are replaced this will be it for a while as far as problems go.

Warped rotors are really not a Yamaha fault either. They are supposed to cleaned of the shipping residue with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner during set-up/pdi. Blame the setup monkey. 

it’s nice they are covering it under warranty however. 

-Skip

Reminds me: The day I picked up my new 21GT last January, my very first impression of the brakes was that they were very weak and needed way much lever pressure. I even commented to my wife about it that evening. However within a couple hundred miles of riding, the brakes became very nice and strong. I thought it had to do with shipping spunk sprayed on, what we used to call cosmolene or such.

And yes this is very common to have new bike with warped rotors. Lots of it among new Harleys the past few years. Also have seen it in the Japanese brands. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, BVEBRAD said:

I picked up my bike last saturday (collected in my van) took it out for the first ride today & have exactly the problem with the pulsating effect when applying the front brake at low speed when coming to a stop. Real shame because everything else about the bike was fantastic. Surprised though that the bike had just been serviced by the shop & thought they would have picked this fault up on a test ride after the service. Will be contacting the shop in morning to see what they are going to do about it as it is still in its 2 year yamaha warranty period. Registered nov 2020. 

I bought a 900GT new in June 2018 that had to have warped rotors replaced under warranty. And here we are 4 years later with the same problem. I know they make bikes down to a price but come on Yamaha. Don’t scrimp on something designed to save your life! I strongly suggest you don’t take no for an answer when you take it back to the dealer. 

The dealer has already ordered the new rotors under warranty.  I took the bike from them to ride until the parts were in.  My dealer, Diamond Motor Sports in Dover Delaware have been great.  Yamaha USA not so much.

• Thumbsup 1
Brad
Selbyville, DE

My understanding is rotors can be warped by being unevenly worn around the surface of the rotor. Wouldn’t be able to see this with the eye but could measure it with a dial indicator tool.

Because rotors are cheap and easy to replace, techs probably don’t measure. If the braking is pulsed they just say “warped” and to keep the customer happy they will quickly agree to replace.

If one we’re to look into the Harley and other brand forums they would find many reports of “warped rotors” among new bikes. It is literally so common one might think all these rotors are made by the same factory in China, and maybe they are. Pretty sure Yamaha doesn’t make rotors, they are supplied from outside. 

• Thumbsup 2

Min 2020 900 GT has pulsating brakes.  Last fall talked with the Golfer rep about it.  Was told off the rotors are warped then at speed you will feel a pulsation in the lever.  If not then it is surface contamination.  Recommendation was good cleaning of the rotors.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:40 PM, KrustyKush said:

I posted elsewhere on this. The way OP describes it as a “lunging” as the bike slows in-gear. I feel this too. I don’t see how this could be caused by warped rotor(s). Warped rotor would cause a rhythmic pulsing I think. Not a sudden “lunge”.

Assuming we’re talking about the same thing. I’ve noticed it in particular since the recall flash. Not sure I recall it before the flash. It isn’t alarming in any sense. I suspect it is a result of ecu programming.

Ok I re-read the OP. I think he may be describing a warped rotor IF the lunging is also a pulse. The pulse slows frequency as the bike slows under light braking. Just a rotor problem. No biggie. Very common. 

Hey guys, I'm the "OP" from the original post (BVEBRAD).  As far as the "lunging" goes, it's as if I were very gently squeezing the brake lever on and off in a constant rhythm.  As previously mentioned the dealer also experienced the problem and their corrective action is to replace the rotors.  I'm now waiting for them to come in.  Hopefully this will be the end of my problems with the bike, it is a fantastic machine.

• Thumbsup 2
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Rotors are not that easy to warp, most the time its a build up of pad material or the rotors aren't floating right or calipers are sticking. Good rotors are also not cheap, hope the OP gets his issues resolved regardless.

• Thumbsup 2

On 4/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, Paddy01 said:

I bought a 900GT new in June 2018 that had to have warped rotors replaced under warranty. And here we are 4 years later with the same problem. I know they make bikes down to a price but come on Yamaha. Don’t scrimp on something designed to save your life! I strongly suggest you don’t take no for an answer when you take it back to the 

Just to update my last posting. Dealer sent me new disc & pads fitted them & the brakes are now fine. Just hope it stays that way

• Thumbsup 4