MadStad GPS Mount…

Anyone got a good source for a way to mount a Garmin Zumo XT to a MadStad?

Finally got my MadStad. (What an ordeal.) Order showed up and  it was for a Triumph Tiger. 😠 They sent me another and some of the hardware was wrong. 😡 Luckily I was able to find what I needed locally. Took it out for my first ride of the year today to test it out along with a new Corbin seat. 🥳 The MadStad definitely makes a difference. Get some “fluttering” but no buffeting thankfully. Think maybe I should have ordered a shorter shield instead of going with MadStad’s recommendation. 

At any rate, is there a decent way to do a GPS mount above the instrument cluster with the MadStad?

23 minutes ago, pokey074 said:

Anyone got a good source for a way to mount a Garmin Zumo XT to a MadStad?

Finally got my MadStad. (What an ordeal.) Order showed up and  it was for a Triumph Tiger. 😠 They sent me another and some of the hardware was wrong. 😡 Luckily I was able to find what I needed locally. Took it out for my first ride of the year today to test it out along with a new Corbin seat. 🥳 The MadStad definitely makes a difference. Get some “fluttering” but no buffeting thankfully. Think maybe I should have ordered a shorter shield instead of going with MadStad’s recommendation. 

At any rate, is there a decent way to do a GPS mount above the instrument cluster with the MadStad?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TT8BK

I believe this is the RAM Mount I used to attach to the MadStad. Originally just had the GPS mounted but decided to split the ball to two adapters so I could add my RiderScan mirror just above it. Consider a 'locking' type of RAM mount for a bit of added security.

RamMount.jpg

Edited by Bernard
Adding Picture
  • Thumbsup 1

Yep, all hardware is included with the RAM mount itself. Can't recall but I may have dremeled the screws to be shorter than what was supplied. I don't think the hole spacing is appropriate to use the handlebar mount as I tried a box full of different mounts and realized the clutch/brake mount was the only solution I had which worked out of the box. You might be able to use it by making an additional bracket between the windscreen position adjusters but likely not worth the hassle.

For the Zumo XT I would also suggest some sort of a lanyard just in case you don't get it firmly connected to the mount.  I take mine off at every stop when going to be away from the bike.  On long trips that's 2 to 4 times a day for a couple of weeks.  The Zumo XT mount is not the easiest to mount and know it is done correctly.  One time as I was leaving out for the day it fell off just as I pulled out of the campground onto the main highway!  Lanyard worked perfectly and no damage to the Zumo.  Always try and have some sort of a backup but would have been very inconvenient as many more days and thousands of miles were ahead.  

For a lanyard I bought a package of round disks that are use very good double sided tape to stick to the back of the Zumo XT and have cords that are about 10" long.  Since then have bought some SS wire and made lanyards for GoPro cameras with that.  For the Zumo XT the cord is tied in a loop and then looped around the handlebars and fastened with a carabiner that I 3D printed out of PTE plastic.  Easy enough to fasten but holds securely - I check the security of the double sided tape ever month or so by dangling the Zumo XT from the lanyard to check.  Not all double sided tape is equal but the tape on this really works well and has been on there for over 20,000 miles.

• Thumbsup 1

I think it’s actually the same thing. Just looked and the handlebar mount I have looks identical to your reservoir mount. Just need to find me some hardware now…

14 hours ago, CJ3cyl said:

https://www.amazon.com/Cockpit-Bracket-Yamaha-Tracer-18-20/dp/B07GDG3PZF?ref_=nav_ya_signin&

I know it only shows one ball mount, but there's two, left and right. Bolts right up, plug and play.

I had one of those before. Thought it was kind of a pain to mount, especially if you like to change windscreens. At any rate, it only works with the stock mount, not the MadStad.