Tracer 9 GT 22 Problems after updating software

Hello all,

A month ago I got my new tracer 9 GT, didn’t had to do the recall throttle problem because it’s all ready been updated at the factory. I’ve noticed a strange Feeling when I’m in 4th, 3rd and 2nd gear, when I’m slowing down, I feel like a kick in the engine. It’s like you are driving in automatic robotic gear and the gears shift automatically and you decrease the speed you can feel the shifting and it tilts you. A very strange behavior of the gear/engine. The ride isn’t smooth but only if you are slowing down, around 5k to 3k RPM does anyone has that kind of issue? 

You probably are describing an issue that many here, including me, have commented upon.  It is an odd characteristic of the Tracer motor.  Do some searching on this forum and you will find a good amount of discussion.

Having said that, I don't believe this is a fault.  Yamaha surely programmed this.  It really doesn't bother anything.  It is just an unusual trait.  I've tried to induce it in all gears to see how it acts in all situations.  Seems like it is present even in the higher gears, but is most noticeable when letting engine brake slow the bike in first or second, especially from higher rpm.

Edited by KrustyKush
Clarification
  • Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...
On 05.06.2022 at 16:46, blunir said:

Hepinize merhaba,

Bir ay önce yeni tracer 9 GT'mi aldım, fabrikada güncellendiği için geri çağırma klapesi sorununu yapmak zorunda kalmadım. 4., 3. ve 2. vitesteyken garip bir his fark ettim, yavaşladığımda motorda bir tekme gibi hissediyorum. Sanki otomatik robotik viteste gidiyorsunuz ve vitesler otomatik olarak değişiyor ve hızı düşürüyorsunuz, vites geçişini hissedebiliyorsunuz ve sizi yatırıyor. Dişli/motorun çok garip bir davranışı. Sürüş düzgün değil, ancak yalnızca yavaşlarsanız, yaklaşık 5k ila 3k RPM arasında bu tür bir sorunu olan var mı? 

I have the same problem, is your problem solved?

Known issue, its not a "general" tracer issue, only with the newest gen and only if you'v had the ECU recall done.
My Yamaha mechanic can do nothing about it he says. Its just how its gonna be, which is a shame even if its only a very small nitpick. 

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Sunde said:

Known issue, its not a "general" tracer issue, only with the newest gen and only if you'v had the ECU recall done.
My Yamaha mechanic can do nothing about it he says. Its just how its gonna be, which is a shame even if its only a very small nitpick. 

Did you have this problem after the software?

6 hours ago, Tuncay said:
Did you have this problem after the software?

Exactly
after the software update (reflash) this happend
My bike did not have this issue before the reflash.
In general i think the reflash made the engine better i must say, it did add this unfortunate quirk however.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just glad that I read about this characteristic here before buying the T9.

I'm sure that it's there for a good reason and I am not too bothered by it. The Yamaha engineers have a lot of credit with me right now, they did such a good job with this euro5 engine and I think it's a compromise to get such fabulous fuelling. After a 1000 km I'm even more convinced that I will not need an ecu flash. I also find that I automatically adapt to the behaviour because it happens less often to me while I still believe it to be 100% reproducible. I just seem to stay away from the area where it happens. 

I often used to roll to a stop while releasing the handlebars to release tension from my shoulders and wrists. When the engine brake releases unexpectedly it can be a little scary so I am a little more hesitant to do this but as I said that also doesn't seem to happen anymore. I must have adapted my timing without overthinking it.  So in my case it's a non-issue.

Edited by petshark

On 7/21/2022 at 10:55 AM, Tuncay said:
I have the same problem, is your problem solved?

nop waiting to hear the main factory about it, maybe an update soon? dono...

3 hours ago, petshark said:

I'm just glad that I read about this characteristic here before buying the T9.

I'm sure that it's there for a good reason and I am not too bothered by it. The Yamaha engineers have a lot of credit with me right now, they did such a good job with this euro5 engine and I think it's a compromise to get such fabulous fuelling. After a 1000 km I'm even more convinced that I will not need an ecu flash. I also find that I automatically adapt to the behaviour because it happens less often to me while I still believe it to be 100% reproducible. I just seem to stay away from the area where it happens. 

I often used to roll to a stop while releasing the handlebars to release tension from my shoulders and wrists. When the engine brake releases unexpectedly it can be a little scary so I am a little more hesitant to do this but as I said that also doesn't seem to happen anymore. I must have adapted my timing without overthinking it.  So in my case it's a non-issue.

I do not notice it anymore on mine, all three T9's i'v tried has had this and i personally ( + the owners of the other bikes) do not consider it a problem, as it is SUCH a small jerk that you really only notice it when you really want to notice it. Having recently ridden a 2017 Tracer 900 i can safely say the engine is noticeable smoother on the T9. 

• Thumbsup 2