Discontinued bikes

1moreroad

• Premium Member

https://www.webbikeworld.com/honda-suzuki-yamaha-and-kawasaki-to-cut-37-motorcycles-by-2023/

Goldwing gone next year?!

I thought the FJR was already gone. 

Kawasaki is pushing plug in hybrids. Depending on weight, I would not be against these. Charging station access is an issue in Mississippi that would prevent me from buying a pure electric anything (car or moto) right now. I'm also an edge case with a 110 mile daily commute (down from a 250+ mile weekly loop with no charging stations earlier this year).

In other reports I've heard it stated as "certain variants of the Goldwing..." which I took to mean the ones that aren't fully decked out (like the FB6 model). I can't imagine Honda would give up its 25 year throne of luxury touring with such little fanfare. 

• Thumbsup 3

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

I don't have a lot of confidence in this article, seems like they are trying to sensationalize something that is probably nothing.  Goldwing is probably dropping the auto trans base model, gsxr 250 is probably getting bumped to 300.  FJR is probably going to take a year off and come back faster and lighter and even better.  My theory is that  "dropping from lineup" is being taking too literally.

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Jfundo said:

My theory is that  "dropping from lineup" is being taking too literally.

lol, exactly, like the KLR650.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 4 weeks later...

That article is indeed a raft of irrelevant, nearly information-free nonsense... they failed to mention which new models are on the way. Drop/add is perfectly normal, you know.

Semi-related, but yeah, the FJR is WAY WAY WAY overdue for a revamp. It's been a fantastic platform for many years, but it's past time for the next generation.

The last Honda Gold Wing revamp, for example, was a pretty radical re-think.

• Thumbsup 1

Maybe the FJR will become the new Star Venture, an archaic left-over unimproved-for-a-decade dinosaur, like the Kawasaki Concours, or the old Voyager 12.  I bought a new Star Venture in 2007.  It was still being manufactured with a cassette player in the dash.  In 2007.  It was a good bike, I put over 50k miles on it and then traded it for an FJR.

I think the Tracer 9 is the FJR replacement.  The apparent fact that Yamaha is developing a radar adaptive cruise control for the Tracer proves it to me.  Plus, the obvious fact that the Tracer does everything better than the FJR.  Apparently the public is moving away from the monster motors.  

• Thumbsup 2

12 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

I think the Tracer 9 is the FJR replacement.  The apparent fact that Yamaha is developing a radar adaptive cruise control for the Tracer proves it to me.  Plus, the obvious fact that the Tracer does everything better than the FJR.  Apparently the public is moving away from the monster motors.  

I’ll take the FJR dash over the new 9 any day.  That thing is hideous.  Thankful I have the 2019 GT. 

4 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I’ll take the FJR dash over the new 9 any day.  That thing is hideous.  Thankful I have the 2019 GT. 

Always hillarious how so many people bash the T9 dash whilst in fact its 100% fine. Its just such a nitpicky thing that people keep bringing up as if it is somehow a "huge problem". 

Having owned 6 bikes i'v had exactly 0 problems with the T9's dash. Its not beautiful, that much is true... Who gives a crap tho lol, cant imagine choosing or not choosing a bike because of the dash.
The fact that the dash splits in fact means that navigation aid or Phone mount can be mounted in such a way that it sits right in the middle between the displays. Cant do that on any other bike i know of without loosing screen real estate.
Get over it already lol
Thankfully the T9 is also better in every conceivable way compared to the Tracer 900. ;)
So even a below average dash is hardly a deal breaker. Unless you have crap for vision, in that case i can see the issue. Also unsure if you should be riding in that case.

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, KrustyKush said:

What we need is head up display. So we can monitor gear, revs and speed without looking down.

That's what your arse is for, no? 

In unrelated news, I'm heading off to the courthouse to pay another speeding ticket. 

• Haha 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current