Wind Noise

My only material complaint about this wonderful bike is the wind noise. It became very clear after riding my 690 Enduro R then my FJ-09 that the FJ is crazy loud in comparison.

I'm not talking about buffeting or turbulence. I'm talking a loud wind roar that is not substantially changed with any of the three windscreen heights.

Rather than throwing windscreens options at it, which may or may not address the source of the noise, I want to try to figure out why it is so loud.

Unfortunately for me, expanding foam ear plugs do not fit into my ear canals so that is not a good option in my case.

This got me pondering what the source of the noise could be. I came up with the following 4 potential sources:
[ul type=disc]
[*]Windscreen
[*]headlights / nose geometry
[*]hand guards
[*]mirrors (with and without extenders)
[/ul]Seems like the hardest to address would be the headlights / nose geometry. The rest are potential bolt-on fixes.

Once the noise is addressed, then "comfort" issues like wind velocity, turbulence, buffeting, rain protection, etc can be addressed.

I'll be away from my bike for a week or so, but I want to experiment and find the source of the noise so that a solution can be found. I hope to try back to back testing with a sound level meter to get some less subjective data.  

Has anyone tried riding with no windscreen?
With the mirrors off?
with the hand guards off?
With all three items off?
Did it have any impact on the noise?
Other possible sources for the noise?

Lets get this noise issue figured out!

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took the windshield off and it is amazingly better.

amazingly? is that a word? anyway, you get the point. I plan to get both the ermax touring and ermax sport screens depending on the weather or riding I plan to do. It is a 2 minute swap to change screens, 4 plastic screws that you don't want to over tighten. Both screens are reasonably priced, so it seems like a good option. I haven't done it yet because I've been trying this new thing of not spending money before I have it. It really sucks. I don't recommend it.

amazingly? is that a word? anyway, you get the point. I plan to get both the ermax touring and ermax sport screens depending on the weather or riding I plan to do. It is a 2 minute swap to change screens, 4 plastic screws that you don't want to over tighten. Both screens are reasonably priced, so it seems like a good option. I haven't done it yet because I've been trying this new thing of not spending money before I have it. It really sucks. I don't recommend it.
I have the Ermax sport screen I don't think the wind noise is much better than stock.  I think even smaller is the call.

I have the Ermax sport screen I don't think the wind noise is much better than stock.  I think even smaller is the call.
How tall are you? I am 6'1". I am curious to know as it may affect my purchasing decision. Come to think of it, rider height may change what is causing the noise.

I'm 6'2" (187cm) with a long torso. Standing seems quieter than even tucking behind the windscreen.

Like Steve, I want to hold off until there is more certainty about making ti quieter.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

How tall are you? I am 6'1". I am curious to know as it may affect my purchasing decision. Come to think of it, rider height may change what is causing the noise.
I'm 6 ft.

Our height could well be a good starting point, I'm 6'1" (1.83m) and have a problem. In a post in the Euro section of the board a rider at 5' 11" doesn't have an issue. However that could be subjective and others of similar or lower height could also be suffering.

I've read dozens of posts on this and its obvious that one person's solution won't necessarily work for the next guy.  I'm 6'3" and the windscreen is perfect (for me) in the low position and I like the look of the stock screen, so I have no desire for a different screen at this point.   Helmets also make a huge difference in wind noise.  My cheap Bell is much quieter than my more expensive Shoei when ridden on the same bike with the same windscreen.  And on each bike I own (three), standing up into free-flowing are makes things even quieter.  It's pure personal preference, IMHO. 

Guest bmidd
I'm 6'4" and have a long torso, 33" inseam. I have the Ermax touring screen and it works great no matter what the position and doesn't matter whether it's my Shoei GTAir or HJC RPHA10's. The stock screen was horrid, bobble head no matter what position it was in.

Has anyone tried riding with no windscreen? With the mirrors off?
with the hand guards off?
With all three items off?
Did it have any impact on the noise?
Other possible sources for the noise?

Lets get this noise issue figured out!

Great post! You've hit all the possibles and ALL may have an affect on wind noise generation. I DO NOT own an FJ yet, but have had wind noise issues with several bikes ... so have a background. Also done sound testing for helmets, I am a Audio Pro, so have a clue how this works. I'll tell you ... it's a tough one.  
First thing I would do in your situation is make sure you're putting foam plugs in correctly. I know some ear canals make this hard, but make sure on this. Next step ... custom molded plugs ... I am not fond of these but they may be your only alternative. You really really need to wear ear protection of some kind.

I use Howard Leight Laser Lite plugs ... very soft, comfortable all day, good noise reduction. Always lick the tip of the plug before trying to insert into ear. Put them all the way in. ALL THE WAY ... and then HOLD until they expand. I've been using plugs of ALL kinds over 20 years (at work and riding).

For a quick fix, remove the shield. That's what I've done on my Triumph Tiger 1050, another nasty noisy bike.
Could be hand guards and front cowl too (as you've mentioned). Pull the shield. Do test run. Go from there!

Good luck. All new bike forums go through this process. This one appears to be a TOUGH one to crack. No one solution will work for every rider. That much is nearly certain.
Cheers,
Patrick
Noob member.

First thing I would do in your situation is make sure you're putting foam plugs in correctly.

Patrick, possibly easier said than done. In my case I do not get on with them at all, firstly they hurt my ears and more importantly I am totally deaf when I have them in - helmet on and still off the bike I cannot hear a word anyone is saying to me let alone hearing the emergency services sirens, which by law requires us, in the UK, to pull over and let them pass. I have a large bag of ear plugs which I can't use  :'( 
My previous solution was to go with a Shuberth helmet, supposedly one of the quietest available, it did the trick on my YZF600R's but was unbearable on this bike - OK so the helmet was a bit long in the tooth so I got a new one,  not  the same model but the later version from the same manufacturer. If anything the problem got worse, moving the screen down to the lowest position, effectively switching it off,  helped.

I am hard of hearing and have been since birth, never thought I'd be suffering hearing too much noise :-/

There's no simple solution to this, pity, wish there was 

First thing I would do in your situation is make sure you're putting foam plugs in correctly.
Patrick, possibly easier said than done. In my case I do not get on with them at all, firstly they hurt my ears and more importantly I am totally deaf when I have them in - helmet on and still off the bike I cannot hear a word anyone is saying to me let alone hearing the emergency services sirens, which by law requires us, in the UK, to pull over and let them pass. I have a large bag of ear plugs which I can't use  :'( 
My previous solution was to go with a Shuberth helmet, supposedly one of the quietest available, it did the trick on my YZF600R's but was unbearable on this bike - OK so the helmet was a bit long in the tooth so I got a new one,  not  the same model but the later version from the same manufacturer. If anything the problem got worse, moving the screen down to the lowest position, effectively switching it off,  helped.

I am hard of hearing and have been since birth, never thought I'd be suffering hearing too much noise :-/

Sorry about that Steve! That's a tough problem, but I contend can be worked out with trial/error. You must have the right plugs. Normally, you will actually hear important sounds BETTER with plugs in ... but I get you situation, so it's a tricky one. The irony of your situation is astounding. Damn.
Shuberth is quietest helmet made (for now) beat out even the best Arai. I know, I tested them all on moving bikes. (40 helmets)

OK, have an idea. As you probaby know, most wind noise comes up from under your chin. If you can wear a neck barrier and block the opening as much as practical, it may help with noise. Also, perhaps just a partially inserted ear plug to reduce wind roar.
As you probably know, it's the low frequencies that do the real damage. Do protect against those most of all or you'll lose MORE
of your hearing. Hey, don't feel bad, I can't hear conversations with my plugs in either ... but I ride SO MUCH better with them in, I cannot ride without them in.
Studies done in Britain back in the 90's proved that plug wearers ride calmer, better and had less fatigue. They monitored racers too ... all did better with Plugs, lower heart rate and BP, and faster lap times. I know all of this to be true from my own experience.
On long rides the fatigue part is especially important. Loud wind noise is exhausting .. not to mention the hearing damage.

Keep trying. A soft supple plug like the Howard Leight is worlds better than most.

Cheers and good luck!
Patrick

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

I wonder if you have tried custom-fitted 'plugs, as opposed to off-the-shelf items... L of S

Archived