All Valves In Spec @ 21K!

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

Local motorcycle mechanic who was a Kawasaki team racer for years, says that most motorcycle engines he checks need their valves adjusted. Matter of fact he won't leave any valve alone unless is middle spec.......or it gets adjusted. :)

Yup, loved my ZX1100 Ninja and ZRX1100 motors from Kawasaki. Very easy valve adjs even though they were every 7,000 - 8,000 miles. It was SO easy. He will know. I loved that motor and I love my FJ09 motor too. Not as easy on the Valve adjs for sure. Even the VMX1200 I had 3 of those you had a tool from Yamaha to push the valve spring down to pull the shim with a magnet. This will be my 1st bike to have to take out the cams. Even though my cousin and I changed the ZRX1100 to the ZX1100 Cams. Had to move the double valve springs over to the ZRX1100 motor if you wanted to use the EPU. You got 1,000 more RPMs with the ZX1100 EPU. But that motor from Kawasaki was as easy as setting the valves every 3,000 miles on my 1964 VW Bus. Don't want to suck a #3 exhaust valve do ya? I think it was exhaust??? That was late 70s early 80s. I was following the Grateful Dead around. Hum, can't remember just remember having to adj them every 3,000 miles. 

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

5 hours ago, Ride365 said:

All valves being in spec for practically any motorcycle engine on the first interval, is rare as hens teeth. If you or someone are already in there, makes no sense to not adjust them perfectly within specs. My 2 cents.....

I asked about that.  The dealer I used sells lots of MT 09s, Tracers 900s, and has three 9 GTs on the floor now.  So they service the CP3 motor frequently.

He said it is not all that unusual for the CP3 to be in spec at first adjustment.  News to me!!

I do think this forum, like most, is a bit of an echo chamber where individual experiences, pet theories and occasional outright horse hockey gets amplified in dogma.  Don't get me wrong, I love this site.  I just don't believe everything I read here is fact!  :)

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

19 hours ago, nhchris said:

I asked about that.  The dealer I used sells lots of MT 09s, Tracers 900s, and has three 9 GTs on the floor now.  So they service the CP3 motor frequently.

He said it is not all that unusual for the CP3 to be in spec at first adjustment.  News to me!!

I do think this forum, like most, is a bit of an echo chamber where individual experiences, pet theories and occasional outright horse hockey gets amplified in dogma.  Don't get me wrong, I love this site.  I just don't believe everything I read here is fact!  :)

I overall don't trust dealers, I do however trust independent mechanics who literally work on multitudes of engines. High revving higher HP engines in particular don't tend to stay in spec, my guy takes pics of things as well for proof. No doubt that much of what we read on forums is up for debate, but motorcycles unlike cars need more maintenance and upkeep to remain safe and longevity. How many times does a motorcycle dealer also say things like "don't worry that's normal"? ;)