Any "good enough" Chinesium goodies I should look for on AliExpress, fleaBay, etc?

It's winter, and I'm bored.

What are some of the weird and wonderful FJ-09/Tracer farkles y'all have found poking around in the grubby far eastern corners of t'intarwebnets?

Yes, I know better than to trust stuff like brake pads, chains, and skid plates of questionable metallurgy. I'm talking about the stuff where "good enough" is good enough.

For example, I've seen assorted plastic "beaks" and flyscreens, LED lighting, etc. and so on. My FJ-09 is wearing a nice little kickstand foot. Stuff like that.

Whatchya got?

Links and pics, please.

Edited by bwringer
clarity

bwringer,

Don't know if you have installed FJR pegs on yours yet, but these really helped the foot vibes on mine!

You probably didn't notice in the short time you rode mine last summer but I like 'em. And, I've stood on them quite a bit without any disastrous results, so far!🤞

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133148490553?fits=Make%3AYamaha&hash=item1f0044bb39:g:edcAAOSwT6pVued~&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4KLp%2BAy%2FdR7gsitytl8L1ZCxVUVnkco1JyX

• Thumbsup 2

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

Just ordered a beak, skid plate, LED lights, tank pads, luggage rack, engine covers protection, wheel strips and mesh seat covers for my new (to me) 2019 Tracer. Should get few of them at the end of February and another few at the beginning of March. Just enough time to have it ready for riding season here in Canada and my first ride on it.

Edited by Rick123
Few additions
  • Thumbsup 1

I bought a "Made in China" kit with a few different cables with SAE connections for a battery tender. I, recently, was changing one of the cables from a cigarette plug end to ring terminals so I can connect my solar powered charger to my sawmill.  I was pretty surprised to see how few, fine strands of actual copper conductor were inside the insulation.  I've done the same with a plug-in that came with an older Yuasa charger and it had about 3x the copper strands.  I'm not really concerned, with the low amperage of the tender, but the difference was pretty stark.

For the most part though, the discount stuff is cheap, and it works.  Just don't be buying anything you plan to pass down to future generations.  😉

• Thumbsup 2

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Thanks for all the specific recommendations, y'all!

I'll agree; you have to be willing to take a good hard look at what you get, and sometimes you have to write off stuff that just seems too janky once you get a good look at it. It's usually more trouble than it's worth to return this stuff. Caveat emptor, and all that. 

On my other bikes and on my cars, I've had very good luck with LED replacement headlight bulbs, but there were also a couple of failed experiments along the way; bulbs that had terrible lighting patterns, poor color spectrum, weren't made very well, etc.

Howdy, stranger! How ya been?

On 2/3/2023 at 3:57 PM, Suzukiguy said:

bwringer,

Don't know if you have installed FJR pegs on yours yet, but these really helped the foot vibes on mine!

You probably didn't notice in the short time you rode mine last summer but I like 'em. And, I've stood on them quite a bit without any disastrous results, so far!🤞

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133148490553?fits=Make%3AYamaha&hash=item1f0044bb39:g:edcAAOSwT6pVued~&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4KLp%2BAy%2FdR7gsitytl8L1ZCxVUVnkco1JyX

I, uh, didn't quite know how to tell you at the time, but my FJ-09 puts a lot less vibration through the footpegs than your Tracer. My bike still has the original aluminum footpegs, and I've never even noticed or thought about vibration. I kinda like them because the slim footpegs make it a little easier to move around on the bike in the sort of rapid riding I like to do.

I don't know whether it's some sort of generational difference, production variance, or what. Next time, we'll trade for a bit and see what you think.

Our friend Greg bought a 2015 FJ-09 last year, so I'll have to trade with him at some point to see what sort of variations there might be.

That said, maybe I just happened to get a "smoothie" -- I know changing the pegs out for rubber-covered FJR pegs is probably the most common modification, and footpeg vibration has always been a common complaint. And some folks just don't like skinny aluminum sportbike style pegs. 

I also know that changing footpegs out is nearly universal on other bikes, especially dual-sport bikes, and I can't recall ever seeing a report of one of the Chinese cheapies breaking off. They might not have the fine finishing of the expensive options, but they seem to hold up just fine. Same goes for control levers, FWIW.

Edited by bwringer

4 hours ago, bwringer said:

...It's usually more trouble than it's worth to return this stuff. Caveat emptor, and all that.  ...

I've had pretty good experiences with returns.  Often, they'll just send you a replacement. 

I've found it's easier to solve issues with failed product when dealing through Amazon, over eBay.

Contact the vendor, send pictures, verify the purchase date and a resolution is, usually, pretty easy.

Edited by Heavy
  • Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.