Grease nipples

So, showing my age here but have always been sad that grease points gradually disappeared. Any brains trust fitted nipples to appropriate places? Maybe rear linkages etc? 

24 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

... sad that grease points gradually disappeared. 

Have not seen grease nipples on motorcycles, including my 30 year old Honda 750, or 70 year old Harley Panhead. Cars have lost some grease points. But on motorcycles, you pretty much have to gain access to the bearing.

I am also getting older... better than the alternative.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 2
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

It was found that you usually introduce more foreign matter with grease zerks. Now lower tolerance applications you'll still see it, like my snowblower has at least 6-7.

• Thumbsup 1

My old cars and trucks had Zerk fittings for everything, including the U-joints.

Here's an interesting article on lubricating U-joints that says:

Bottom line on wear life: A regularly greased greaseable joint will outlive a non-greaseable joint. But a non-greaseable joint will outlive a greaseable joint that does not get greased properly. 

-------

It's an interesting point for modern cars and trucks, because people just drive them. 

The plugs can last 100k miles. They don't have points and condenser's anymore. There is not that much maintenance going on.

They are lucky to get the oil changed. You have to reset the "change oil" message or it nags you.

So yeah, if no one is going to grease the joints on cars and trucks, they design the newer joints to hold lube in better than older styles. I suppose an analogy for motorcycles is O-rings on chains, my first motorcycles didn't have them.

On a motorcycle, I want to be able to rotate a wheel bearing to see how it feels when I pull the wheel to change a tire. And shoot some more lubricant past the "sealed bearing" plastic shield.

I want to be able to check for steering stem bearing play when the weight is off the front end. If there is an issue it is a pain to access the bearing to lube it - but then again that is the opportunity to inspect.

• Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

My old cars and trucks had Zerk fittings for everything, including the U-joints.

Here's an interesting article on lubricating U-joints that says:

Bottom line on wear life: A regularly greased greaseable joint will outlive a non-greaseable joint. But a non-greaseable joint will outlive a greaseable joint that does not get greased properly. 

-------

It's an interesting point for modern cars and trucks, because people just drive them. 

The plugs can last 100k miles. They don't have points and condenser's anymore. There is not that much maintenance going on.

They are lucky to get the oil changed. You have to reset the "change oil" message or it nags you.

So yeah, if no one is going to grease the joints on cars and trucks, they design the newer joints to hold lube in better than older styles. I suppose an analogy for motorcycles is O-rings on chains, my first motorcycles didn't have them.

On a motorcycle, I want to be able to rotate a wheel bearing to see how it feels when I pull the wheel to change a tire. And shoot some more lubricant past the "sealed bearing" plastic shield.

I want to be able to check for steering stem bearing play when the weight is off the front end. If there is an issue it is a pain to access the bearing to lube it - but then again that is the opportunity to inspect.

Great post and yes, as the fine art of maintenance goes out the window so does the requirements. I do remember a mechanic mate telling me this some years back now you mention it. My worry is introducing a small hole to an alloy casting might cause fatigue cracking if not drilled and tapped in the correct place.

11 hours ago, Darren69 said:

My worry is introducing a small hole to an alloy casting might cause fatigue cracking if not drilled and tapped in the correct place.

Yeah, if a pivot point or bearing didn't come with a grease fitting - the effort to create one would be about the same as dismantle to inspect and lube the bearing.

I just got curious why those fittings are known as a "Zerk fitting" - You can thank Oscar Zerk and his 1923 patent for a special fitting.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1