Had a Check Engine light problem

LarryBud

2015 FJ 09

I'm riding, the check engine light comes on and it powers down to an idle, I coast to a stop.   I shut it off., restart with no light.. ride as normal and head for home.  This repeats 3 more times. Each time after I restart, it rides as though nothing has happened.  The final time, I ride 3 miles or so to home ( rides as new ) and park it.

Not sure how to trouble shoot this.  Suggestions? 

I was fortunate to only be a few miles out but now I need to figure it out.

• Confused 1

16k on the clock.  I've been riding it all spring.  Owned it for a couple of years and have just done oil / chain / tires.

Previous owner took meticulous care of it.  I'd have to look at each of the above but nothing done recently.  I've not put many miles on it.  It's my city bike.

Just reviewed the maintenance schedule.  All is in line with manual intervals ( air filter 23 months / 3K ago ).

I did not see an error but it's possible I missed it.  One possibility is the battery.  I know this one is at least two years old.  I keep it on trickle charger and it fires right up but I've had this mask a bad battery in the past.

1 hour ago, LarryBud said:

One possibility is the battery.  I know this one is at least two years old.  I keep it on trickle charger and it fires right up but I've had this mask a bad battery in the past.

Probably a good idea to get it load tested. I've seen this too where an aging battery starts to do weird things even though it starts the bike up. Maybe check the connections are tight including the ground.

Just to close this one out.  I replaced the battery and took it for a good spin.  Looks like that was the problem.  

It had enough to start it every time but the bike did not like it.  The battery was still the factory install.  Not a bad run for a 2015 bike / battery.

Thanks for all who replied and I hope I'm not claiming victory too soon.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1