Battery issues

NolaTracer

On my second OEM battery within a couple of months. Won't hold a charge. I just started hearing a clicking noise under the front seat mounting bracket when I hit the start button. Any idea?

Thanks! John

• Confused 1

• Supporting Member

Same question as @Heli ATP have you added any electrical extras?  Anything direct to the battery or on a non-switched circuit?  The battery might be able to hold a charge just fine but something on the bike is possibly draining it.

You could try removing the battery from the bike and charge it on your work bench and then let it sit and see if it drops the charge over time, that would tell you whether it is holding a charge or if something on the bike is draining it.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

16 hours ago, betoney said:

Same question as @Heli ATP have you added any electrical extras?  Anything direct to the battery or on a non-switched circuit?  The battery might be able to hold a charge just fine but something on the bike is possibly draining it.

You could try removing the battery from the bike and charge it on your work bench and then let it sit and see if it drops the charge over time, that would tell you whether it is holding a charge or if something on the bike is draining it.

No extras that would affect battery. I replaced an older battery but it what time. Put in a new battery. OEM from cycle gear and it would only hold a charge if I put a tender on it. I thought it was a bad battery so I swapped it out yesterday for a brand new one. Installed it but when I turn over. There's a clicking noise underneath the seat mount. I'm going to investigate and see what that might be

18 hours ago, NolaTracer said:

No extras that would affect battery. I replaced an older battery but it what time. Put in a new battery. OEM from cycle gear and it would only hold a charge if I put a tender on it. I thought it was a bad battery so I swapped it out yesterday for a brand new one. Installed it but when I turn over. There's a clicking noise underneath the seat mount. I'm going to investigate and see what that might be

The clicking is probably coming from the starter solenoid. Make sure those 2 bolts are secure (usually 8mm bolt head - disconnect the BATT NEG first so you don’t arc out while tightening). 
Follow the positive batt lead from the battery to the starter solenoid if you can’t find it. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, skipperT said:

The clicking is probably coming from the starter solenoid. Make sure those 2 bolts are secure (usually 8mm bolt head - disconnect the BATT NEG first so you don’t arc out while tightening). 
Follow the positive batt lead from the battery to the starter solenoid if you can’t find it. 

-Skip

Thanks!

• Thumbsup 1

29 minutes ago, NolaTracer said:

... it was in fact the starter solenoid a.k.a. relay per Yamaha parts list. Got one in order.

Only 3,000 miles on the bike - how did you determine the part was bad?

Let's say a battery has low voltage (below 12) or is near end of life and just doesn't have the balls to crank the engine. In that case it would be "normal" to hear a click from solenoid, because it is doing it's job of making a connection for the big heavy wire circuit to deliver maximum amps to the starter from the battery, after receiving a signal from the comparatively small wires coming from the starter switch.

Same thing can happen if one of the connections is not tight and clean. It is common on motorcycles and cars to hear a "click" when you try to start it up but it doesn't crank.

When everything is working as it should you don't hear that click because the sound of cranking and running engine are more prominent. 

2 hours ago, skipperT said:

The clicking is probably coming from the starter solenoid. Make sure those 2 bolts are secure...

Exactly. I would suspect a loose connection (after trying multiple batteries).

Doesn't mean to replace the solenoid unless it is bad, which would be rare on low mile vehicle.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

32 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Only 3,000 miles on the bike - how did you determine the part was bad?

Let's say a battery has low voltage (below 12) or is near end of life and just doesn't have the balls to crank the engine. In that case it would be "normal" to hear a click from solenoid, because it is doing it's job of making a connection for the big heavy wire circuit to deliver maximum amps to the starter from the battery, after receiving a signal from the comparatively small wires coming from the starter switch.

Same thing can happen if one of the connections is not tight and clean. It is common on motorcycles and cars to hear a "click" when you try to start it up but it doesn't crank.

When everything is working as it should you don't hear that click because the sound of cranking and running engine are more prominent. 

Exactly. I would suspect a loose connection (after trying multiple batteries).

Doesn't mean to replace the solenoid unless it is bad, which would be rare on low mile vehicle.

Brand new battery, all connections are like new clean. Just watched a video showing the same exact problem. The solution is a new starter relay. If it's not I'm only out 34 bucks. all voltages check out

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, NolaTracer said:

Brand new battery, all connections are like new clean.  all voltages check out

So the battery is holding a charge correctly?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***