New Tracer 9 GT owner - southeastern USA

tgas

• Supporting Member
On 6/8/2023 at 4:30 PM, robzilla said:

^^^ this ^^^

I agree, honestly the dual screen dash is nice once you're over the vanity and not having to view all the info in 1 screen. And the handling coupled with the lightness and flickability makes it a fun fast ride. After I updated to a LV exhaust with an ECU flash, it truly opened up the bike and made it smoother.

Can you give some info on your ECU flash? I have been waiting for Ivan to come out with one for the '21 and up models but haven't seen one yet. I am looking for one that will address the flat spot in the torque output in 2nd gear and I want to be able to engage the cruise control in any gear and at lower speeds.

• Thumbsup 1

My buddy has a 22 and doesn't mention any bad buffeting with the OEM screen, so much of it is subjective and how we are built and the helmet we wear......"many factors". I have an MRA on my 20 and it's the smoothest airflow of any shield have had on multiple bikes, the tinted version looks damn good too. I see some barn door size shields on this forum, reminds me of a Goldwing. :)

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, 2NDCHILDHOOD said:

I don't know how tall the stock screen is. I just know the wind noise for me was deafening. The pictures taken inside exaggerate the height. If you look at the one taken outside it doesn't look that tall. I have the Madstad adjusted as high as it will go with an angle that directs the wind over the top of my helmet. You can drop the height and angle to give you air on your helmet if you want. I switched to a white modular helmet preventing the heat from building up inside so I don't need to depend on the vents to keep my head cool . I can also open the chin guard and shield at low speeds to catch some air. Everyone has their own preferences for setting up their bike and equipment and no one is wrong in that respect. This is what works for me.

I agree about the look of the pictures.  Certainly can make things look taller, shorter, bigger, smaller...........

I also have a modular helmet (Scorpion) that I really like but I am considering a modular like the LS2 that will let you pull the front all the way over and back so that you can ride with it open if that is what you want.  Especially at slower speeds and for short periods.  Not to change the purpose of this topic but how do you like the LS2?

48 minutes ago, 2NDCHILDHOOD said:

Can you give some info on your ECU flash? I have been waiting for Ivan to come out with one for the '21 and up models but haven't seen one yet. I am looking for one that will address the flat spot in the torque output in 2nd gear and I want to be able to engage the cruise control in any gear and at lower speeds.

I am also interested in a good ecu flash not for higher performance but to remove flat spots, smooth out throttle response, engage the fan at lower temps, and any other nice gains.  I am familiar with Ivan.  How about Moore Mafia?  There are others as well.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, 2NDCHILDHOOD said:

I found 3 ECU flash folks with 2 being here in WA. I chose vcyclenut (Dave) as he was able to provide first-hand experience & testing including charts and various methods with steps on each performance upgrade. Also any future ECU upgrades from him are free. 2wheeldyno works are good too but seem to do flashes like a factory. I do go to 2wheelsdyno for advanced moto maintenance that is out of my realm like valves, etc.

1. https://2wheeldynoworks.com/

2. https://www.vcyclenut.com/2021---23-mt09--tracer-gt2022-xsr900.html

3. https://www.mooremafia.com/  ...vid of him flashing T9GT w/Akropovic => 

Who ever you choose to flash, you'll definitely see a vast improvement in all ranges and gears especially with an aftermarket exhaust. The one caveat with this flash though is it will not engage CC in lower gears, only 4th and up (default) which is probably a limitation by Yamaha. I didn't ask Dave about overcoming that but maybe its possible and will follow up later.  He does disable the O2 sensor but his notes say our bikes need the O2 sensor for CC to activate.

Hope this helps and let us know which one you choose!

-Robert

Edited by robzilla
CC info
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tgas said:

I am also interested in a good ecu flash not for higher performance but to remove flat spots, smooth out throttle response, engage the fan at lower temps, and any other nice gains.  I am familiar with Ivan.  How about Moore Mafia?  There are others as well.

ECU flash has definitely remedied the flat spots in 1st and 2nd gear IMO with no lag anymore. Seems the RPMs were capped at a lower range but now I'm able to take off from a stop much quicker and easier without any hesitation. Throttle response has also improved and is much smoother. And yes the fans are turned on now at 195. 

See my post to @2NDCHILDHOOD for other ECU flash options to Moore.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, robzilla said:

ECU flash has definitely remedied the flat spots in 1st and 2nd gear IMO with no lag anymore. Seems the RPMs were capped at a lower range but now I'm able to take off from a stop much quicker and easier without any hesitation. Throttle response has also improved and is much smoother. And yes the fans are turned on now at 195. 

See my post to @2NDCHILDHOOD for other ECU flash options to Moore.

That is good to know.  I have found an owners site that has a lot of good knowledge and is very helpful.  I think most Tracer 9 GT owners are older guys (like me) that have had quite a number of bikes.  No crazy teenagers on this site 😆

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, tgas said:

I agree about the look of the pictures.  Certainly can make things look taller, shorter, bigger, smaller...........

I also have a modular helmet (Scorpion) that I really like but I am considering a modular like the LS2 that will let you pull the front all the way over and back so that you can ride with it open if that is what you want.  Especially at slower speeds and for short periods.  Not to change the purpose of this topic but how do you like the LS2?

Love it. This is my 2nd one. I had an accident with the 1st one on an FJR and the helmet was damaged but the chin guard held up. The price is right too. I recommend it.

• Thumbsup 1