New Tracer 9 GT owner - southeastern USA

tgas

Been looking at the Tracer 9 GT for a long while now.  Mainly owned naked bikes over the last few years. Finally pulled the trigger on a leftover 2022 a few days ago.  Hope to put on some miles soon.  So far the only negatives are the same one's everyone else mentions, the buffeting from the screen and the "too" small dual TFT's.  But those are both minor and not a super bike deal.   Bike rides really nice. 

• Thumbsup 6

Welcome and we need/want to see photos 🙂

Traded for my 2020 900 GT in Sioux Falls SD and then rode it back.  The buffeting from the stock windscreen drove me nuts at speed.  It was like someone alternately patting one shoulder then the other and became very tiring on a 550 mile day.  New windscreen with a laminar lip solved that.

I totally understand.  What windscreen did you go with and what type of lip did you use?  Puig?  Other?

And I will post some photos soon.   thanks

You will enjoy it. I sure like mine (2022 model also.) Great engine, excellent handling, etc. I actually have come to really like the dual screen dash; lots of customizable information at a glance, without scrolling through a menu.

• Thumbsup 2

^^^ this ^^^

I agree, honestly the dual screen dash is nice once you're over the vanity and not having to view all the info in 1 screen. And the handling coupled with the lightness and flickability makes it a fun fast ride. After I updated to a LV exhaust with an ECU flash, it truly opened up the bike and made it smoother.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

Welcome @tgas!  Congratulations on the new T9.   There are enough of them in circulation now that we’re starting to see a lot more suggestions & how-to information about them here on the forum.   

I really need to ride one, and see how it compares to my old dinosaur FJ.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I really need to ride one, and see how it compares to my old dinosaur FJ.  

Don't do it, (unless you got the cash). 😁

• Confused 1

• Supporting Member

Congratulations on the new bike! The wind noise and buffeting from the stock screen on my '21 drove me nuts. After researching aftermarket solutions and listening to reviews and opinions I landed on Madstad. Bought one, installed and adjusted it, and the problem completely went away. Quietest ride I have ever had wind-wise. It's a well engineered product. If you're looking for recommendations here's my vote (for whatever thats worth).

I have seen others (specifically TheSunderlands channel on youtube) that recommend the Madstad.  I would like to see some pictures of your bike with the Madstad and also like to know what size you chose.  I am very interested in a replacement screen so any information you can provide will be appreciated.

• Supporting Member

I bought the 22" in light grey. I am 5'9" and it works great. No wind on my helmet just a nice breeze on my chest coming from the side of the screen. It's like riding in a car with the windows open. It comes with its own mounting bracket and small side wings. You can adjust the height and angle using 2 hand turn knots. It is engineered to allow air flow along the back side of the screen making it extremely stable at speed. It's not cheap but IMHO it's worth every penny.

Here's a link to the product:

https://madstad.com/collections/tracer/products/yamaha-tracer-9-gt-2021

20221017_183344.thumb.jpg.16c602918eae81729dcb99052fcd5b97.jpg20230610_154058.thumb.jpg.f7ba417aec2907918721df7638a7580c.jpg20220225_160428.thumb.jpg.83b12d276e1c6be3a77d9a193369a1a4.jpg20220225_160346.thumb.jpg.1384be8af1a55e99734c7d3a7a8ac946.jpg

20220423_093141.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

13 minutes ago, 2NDCHILDHOOD said:

I bought the 22" in light grey. I am 5'9" and it works great. No wind on my helmet just a nice breeze on my chest coming from the side of the screen. It's like riding in a car with the windows open. It comes with its own mounting bracket and small side wings. You can adjust the height and angle using 2 hand turn knots. It is engineered to allow air flow along the back side of the screen making it extremely stable at speed. It's not cheap but IMHO it's worth every penny.

Here's a link to the product:

https://madstad.com/collections/tracer/products/yamaha-tracer-9-gt-2021

Thanks for the excellent information.  Yours looks fantastic.  I rode about 50 miles today and started finding myself letting the screen down when going thru small towns at slow speeds to let more air to my helmet then when speeds picked up I would lift the screen to its high position and actually it is quite good for me (5'8").  Very little buffeting in the high position.

Your 22" looks pretty tall on the bike.  Do you recall the height of the stock screen?  I wonder if the 20" would work well for me.  Thanks again.  If you think of any other details let me know.

I went with a MRA touring windscreen and the laminar lip as an inexpensive unit from Amazon that I added a couple of months later.  Have put 24,000+ miles on them and while not perfect they work well for me.  On my previous bike BMW F800GT it had a Madstead which was excellent but blocked almost all the air - chin vents on my helmet didn’t work well because no airflow.  The MRA was a good compromise in my opinion.  I’m not a Madstad hater its just not at the very top of my list but nearly is.

• Supporting Member

I don't know how tall the stock screen is. I just know the wind noise for me was deafening. The pictures taken inside exaggerate the height. If you look at the one taken outside it doesn't look that tall. I have the Madstad adjusted as high as it will go with an angle that directs the wind over the top of my helmet. You can drop the height and angle to give you air on your helmet if you want. I switched to a white modular helmet preventing the heat from building up inside so I don't need to depend on the vents to keep my head cool . I can also open the chin guard and shield at low speeds to catch some air. Everyone has their own preferences for setting up their bike and equipment and no one is wrong in that respect. This is what works for me.

20210620_182140.thumb.jpg.c086f26bed53ac0ce85bfe078f12f38f.jpg20210620_182219.thumb.jpg.b9a4955f82939a7c0e160f1f2724d5e8.jpg