Comparison between the Tracer 900GT and BMW's R1200-1250RS?

Anybody have the opportunity to ride the BMW and give me any insight on their impressions? Other then the price difference of course....

cheers

• Supporting Member

Like the Grumpy Goat my previous bike was a R1200RS, It was an amazing bike by all accounts… but always left me wanting in the engine department. The engine in the Tracer is just more fun, especially once tuned with an exhaust.  I did do an exhaust and tune on the RS as well, but it always felt like it ran out of steam quickly once you approached redline… would have been more fun with another 2,000rpm.

The suspension, brakes, and electronics in the RS are orders of magnitude above the tracer though. The electronic suspension is a masterpiece and I would put it in the same class as some of the other high tech / high dollar bikes I have ridden ( Panigale, RSV4, S1000RR )… it is incredibly confidence inspiring in stressful situations.  Also the RS is one of the most stable bikes I have ever ridden in those same conditions.

The tracer brakes leave a lot to be desired, but luckily that’s easy enough to fix… I’m currently getting everything in order to swap basically all of it. With the RS after just a pad swap to a more aggressive pad they were 10 out of 10 for me. It comes stock with braided lines and linked braking… the linked braking is almost invisible to the rider, the only way I could really tell was a bit of extra line tightening when trail braking.

I have not ridden a 1250RS yet, but I hear they wake up a lot more with a tune than the 1200 did.  I’m trying not to test ride one for fear of my wallet getting lighter. 

The bloke that switched to the GS described the tracer as always wanting rip compared to the BMW… this is true… and I like it that way.

IMG_1926.jpeg

• Thumbsup 5

Forgot one more thing… even with an exhaust the sound track on the RS never did it for me. A great bike has to have a good sound… the CP3 uncorked is one of the sweetest sounding engines made.  I’ll probably anger the die hard boxer guys by saying this… maybe it’s from 20+ years of doing track days and loving the sounds of high reving  race bikes… but the boxers sound like broken dirt bikes. 

IMG_1310.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, betoney said:

That post is for the GS though, the RS is completely different.

Oops… that’s a big detail to misread.   I’ve actually looked at the RS in the past; it’s a much more direct cross-shop to the Tracer than a GS. 

• Thumbsup 2

Fantastic bike, lots to like but at the opposite end of the spectrum of sports tourers compared to the Tracer.

Great drive out of corners at any rev, surprisingly agile and sure footed, faster than it actually feels because of a very flat torque curve, but I couldn't feel what the front tyre was doing which seriously tuned me off.

It might have been the stock tyres as the bike only had a few thousand km on it, but it was also why my mate sold it after only six months, He bought an S1000XR instead.

Sound and acceleration feel can't be compared to a Tracer, at least my 15 as I've never ridden a GT.

• Thumbsup 1

Same engine as in my buddy's 23 1250GS, and trust me that bike can rip!!!! Agree the exhaust sounds a bit weird to me, but not unpleasant by any means.......now my CP3 with race exhaust sounds incredible!!! :) 

• Thumbsup 1

Over many years I've toyed with the thought of an RS.  They always intrigued me but weight, power and exhaust note always deterred me - oh and then there is the Bring More Wallet part 🙂   I had a 2004 Yamaha FZ6 and thought about the RS but wound up with a new 2012 CBR600RR.  The CBR was classic 600 sport bike nothing at low revs but screaming power up top and if kept on the boil a fast bike.  In 2016 bought a new old stock 2014 ZX6R because it had ABS.  It was a bit more civilized and didn't need the revs the CBR did but if wound out was quite fast.  When I retired it was traded for a slightly used BMW F800GT to go on long trips.  I could never get used to the "low revving" engine and the exhaust note.  Rest of the bike was nice and it handled well with good brakes.  I traded for the Tracer 900GT in the fall of 2020.  Since then I've said the suspension and brakes can be upgraded and modified but if the engine isn't a jewel it is much harder to change that.  

Last couple of days has seen a lot of contemplation and figuring out.  Going to test drive a Miata and unless it is wretched will buy it and sell my Tracer.  Somewhat sad but as I'm getting older drivers are getting worse so time for a change.  I'm on a blood thinner which make risks from going down even worse.  I used to love to jump on my bike and go for a ride but now find myself not doing it so much and although still loving long trips the getting there part has become more tedious.  Looked at CanAm Spiders and the Vanderhall but came to the conclusion a Miata is open and a pretty good all round view but has a top that can be put up when it is an all day rain and it has a heater and AC.  My wife is happy as she always worries when I go out on the bike and my long trips have been hard for her.  Maybe she will come with me - probably not as she doesn't like sitting in a car for long distances but would probably fly out and meet me.

• Thumbsup 4

Thanks for all your insights🙏. Two weeks ago I had a “mishap” with my much loved Tracer and am on the mend with a broken left hip. Unfortunately my beloved bike also got twisted up and I received the call today that it is a total loss. All this at 20kph. 

• Sad 5

A new bike can be had but harder to fix you.  Sorry to hear about the hip but great you are on the mend!  Do the PT but do not overdo or ignore - I've had injuries and surgeries and think I'm doing good only to realize I'm not as good as I think.  Low speed crashes are tricky, I had a concussion and shattered a kneecap at 15mph on a scooter when I clipped the right bar on a rock wall.  Best part was I dodged the bus that swung wide into my side!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I have both of them. Ok, Tracer is not GT but it'll do it.

RS is far more torquier than Tracer. It is more stabile on fast bends, but less agile than Tracer on tight ones. Riding position on RS is sportier. Distance from pegs to the top of the seat is 5cm lower than Tracers! Fuel consumption and capacity is the same - 4l/100km, 18l.

Husqvarna 701 is a totally different story :D

IMG_20230520_125451616_HDR.jpg

Edited by enx
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, enx said:

I have both of them. Ok, Tracer is not GT but it'll do it.

RS is far more torquier than Tracer. It is more stabile on fast bends, but less agile than Tracer on tight ones. Riding position on RS is sportier. Distance from pegs to the top of the seat is 5cm lower than Tracers! Fuel consumption and capacity is the same - 4l/100km, 18l.

Husqvarna 701 is a totally different story :D

IMG_20230520_125451616_HDR.jpg

Lucky guy!!

When you describe the RS as sportier are you referring to the more forward lean towards the bars? I used  https://cycle-ergo.com/ to compare the two bikes and noticed the Tracer is definitely more a "sit-up" body stance then any other bike I've owned other then my GW. 

I'm slightly concerned at the moment about the ergonomics of  any bike honestly. Not sure how the broken hip is going to bother me when I am healed and get back on the "horse" which ever one I decide to pick up. The RS is definitely pushing on all the right buttons for now but I wouldn't hesitate to get another Tracer either..........

25 minutes ago, NormR said:

When you describe the RS as sportier are you referring to the more forward lean towards the bars?

Exactly. I like a bit of forward lean. It feels more natural.

• Thumbsup 2

• 4 weeks later...

The ergonomics are very different and that does affect handling and highway stability. I have a 2007 VFR and have ridden the GS (not RS) versions of the 1200/1250. The 1250 does have more power and torque, but the 1200 is not lacking. The power delivery could not be different - the BMW is a tractor and when I rode it the riding was between 3-6k rpm. The Yamaha likes to rev and feels sportier and more nimble. The BMW is much better in stability on the highway. The true old school sport touring bike (RS, VFR, etc) have more lean and more weight on the front end which makes them more stable above 70 mph. They are different. I would consider the RS1200/1250 as a more "mature" bike. If you have not ridden a boxer you should try and see if you like it. I find it is a very different riding style - much more time spent in lower RPM's.

• Thumbsup 1