Full exhaust + ECU - what else?

How2

hello

My 15 has been flashed 3 years ago and now I am going with a full system this week.

Tuning steps I heard were sometime before making the decision to go with a full exhaust

Word  back then was  when paring a full system with a ECU flash that other items should be used , such as block off  plates and closing off the "air pump" (what ever that is). Recently, I have seen some vids with opening up the air box (dunno why). A tuner mentioned that after an ECU and exhaust, mid grade fuel is needed.

I would like to know from users who did the ECU and full exhaust what other items you did to fully tune the engine.

No disrespect, am looking for experience wrench heads

PM me if you would.

A lot depends on the ECU tune.  I had mine done by Ivan's Performance.  There is really not any way to extract more power from this engine with an ECU flash and full exhaust.  Might gain a couple horsepower along the way but the real goal is improvement of the throttle response, getting rid of any flat spots and turning off the fuel cut at closed throttle.  

A good ECU flash an full exhaust is really all that is needed.  

Any additional money spent should be on suspension upgrades which pays big dividends when done correctly.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

So my feedback wasn't good enough for ya huh? ;) Agree with upgrading brakes and suspension, any power and torque gains you get from exhaust and a tune will be minimal......it is what it is, and I wrench plenty myself.

Hello

Ivan did my flash which ticked all the boxes I was looking for. Today we talked.

His rec is no other mods (filter, box etc) are needed to be done with his tune.

Just curious what mods users have done, along the lines above with rationale for why

btw I already have steel lines and full Ohlins

thanks

Edited by How2
clarity

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, How2 said:

Just curious what mods users have done, along the lines above with rationale for why

btw I already have steel lines and full Ohlins

Suspension and ECU are the big issues with the 2015, once those are done any other mod would just be creature comforts like cruise control, heated grips or slipper clutch?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

As mentioned before, with Ivans tune there is really nothing else that needs to be done.  He shuts off the AIS so there is no need for block off plates or removal of the AIS valve (or air pump as you referred to).  He also shuts off the O2 sensor. Most of your better tuners do this as well making it plug and play.  Ivans work is without peer.  He is among the very best in the business.

Back in 2013 I had my Ninja 1000 ECU flashed but had to remove the AIS valve, put in a jumper wire to fool the system into thinking it was still there, and install block off plates.  I also had to have a Power Commander and download the proper fuel maps.  Once the Power Commander was installed on the bike, (a real pain as the injectors were difficult to disconnect due to limited space) I had to connect a laptop and adjust the position of the throttle position sensor.

None of this is necessary with the latest mail in ECU reflash as tuners have figured out how to perform all this within the ECU.  Pretty slick I would say!!

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.