Lane and Douglas county Backroads

2linby

Anyone who has ridden in southern Lane county and Northern Douglas county knows there are tons of great back roads.My route today starts on Lorraine Hwy to Territorial. South to Hwy 38, through Drain left on Hwy 138 to Type Rd. Then to Fort McKay then Melqua south to Melrose, Coos Bay wagon Rd, Looking glass into Winston on Hwy 42, Then Roberts Creek Rd to Dixon Creek, back on Hwy 138 for a short run west to North Creek Rd. Then Hwy 99 through Sutherland to Oakland then Elkhead Rd with a brief stop at Mildred Kanapie Park (peacocks roam the grounds) to Anlauf Rd to Boswell back to Drain then Territorial, Lorraine Hwy back home.  Great Ride about 230 miles round trip Home to home. The entire trip we never touched I-5. 

Map isn't perfect. But close.

https://goo.gl/maps/rLKqQb3GugZ3CQAF9

• Thumbsup 3

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Sounds like a good ride. Its easy to do 200 mile ride out here. 

The west coast has the best motorcycle roads in the country. It is hard to believe unless youve been out here. 
Roads out here put the Tail of the Dragon to shame. 

• Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, duckie said:

Roads out here put the Tail of the Dragon to shame. 

I cannot agree more! Take The Aufderheide and Hwy 242 in Western Oregon come to mind as both incredible roads. Better views, better terrain changes, much less traffic and weekend warriors. The secondary county Roads in Douglas County are unbelievably good. The Alsea Hwy from 99W north of Monroe to Hwy 34 near Mary's Peak then all the way to the coast. Fantastic!  Hwy 20, Hwy 6. You name it! All blow the east coast roads and I haven't even left the western Coastal Range and Cascade Roads.  Hwy 395, 7, ....... never enough time! 

• Like 1

Yea that area is fantastic! Loved every road out to the coast, or to the mountains! Our C14 group had its annual rally based in Canyonville and we were doing so many roads, just want to head back down again with some buddies to do some more exploration.

I've ridden out West and yeah there are indeed some spectacular roads and scenery, but I much prefer the roads overall in Tenn/NC/WV/VA and Northern GA "and it's much much closer for me". The dragon is indeed overrated and over ridden, hell I don't even mention that road when talking about great roads to ride. 

• Thumbsup 1

Any road that isnt just straight for miles and miles is a good road. 

Ive been wanting to do base camp riding, but things keep popping. 

Base camp riding is towing to a central point among a variety of road, and do day rides. Then pack up and move to another spot.

Arkansas is cool in that it promotes its roads are great for riding. Not sure if other states does this. 

On 7/31/2023 at 8:24 PM, robzilla said:

Yea that area is fantastic! Loved every road out to the coast, or to the mountains! Our C14 group had its annual rally based in Canyonville and we were doing so many roads, just want to head back down again with some buddies to do some more exploration.

Damn! I attended the final Banquet!  Used to be a COGGER. 

• Thumbsup 1