2017 fj-09; ECU remap; cat removal, and exhaust replacement.

howie333

2017 FJ-09

I'm researching any benefits for a remap of the stock ECU and additional suggestions sa. removing cat and IAS, and exhaust mods or replacement. I only notice snachy throttle at times, but may be other noticeable improvements not aware of. I prefer a quiet exhaust note.

Thank You... 

• Supporting Member

I had 2 Wheel Dyno Work's ECU flash on my 2015 FJ-09; benefits across the board:

Smoother throttle with better response
Cooler engine running temp (fans turn on earlier)
Top speed limiter removed
Smoother engine braking (this one was probably the largest difference)
Startup on A mode

As far as a quiet exhaust note the stock exhaust is going to be the quietest. However, I had the LeoVince LV1 full exhaust system with the DB killer in, and it was not much louder than stock but had a better bass sound that I found very pleasing.

2 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

I had 2 Wheel Dyno Work's ECU flash on my 2015 FJ-09; benefits across the board:

Smoother throttle with better response
Cooler engine running temp (fans turn on earlier)
Top speed limiter removed
Smoother engine braking (this one was probably the largest difference)
Startup on A mode

As far as a quiet exhaust note the stock exhaust is going to be the quietest. However, I had the LeoVince LV1 full exhaust system with the DB killer in, and it was not much louder than stock but had a better bass sound that I found very pleasing.

So is exhaust sound the primary advantage to exchanging an exhaust system or mod on air box and such if increased HP performance is not the goal ?

TNX for reply...

A good tuner will not only change the fuel and ignition maps with an ECU flash, but also turn off the AIS and fuel cut off.  If the new maps for fuel are richer than stock, (which they will most likely be) it would be a good idea to get rid of the catalytic converter as the richer fuel map could clog it up a bit over time.  Getting a full exhaust is not a bad idea.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

3 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

A good tuner will not only change the fuel and ignition maps with an ECU flash, but also turn off the AIS and fuel cut off.  If the new maps for fuel are richer than stock, (which they will most likely be) it would be a good idea to get rid of the catalytic converter as the richer fuel map could clog it up a bit over time.  Getting a full exhaust is not a bad idea.

OK; I kind of figured w/ new map; I'd be getting a richer fuel mixture. Which tuner and which full system exhaust would be recommended for similar noise level ? I'll have to weigh total cost and figure if will be worth the expense. Would turning off the AIS and fuel cut off be only if cat removed w/ aftermarket exhaust ?  

TNX... 

Eliminating the closed throttle fuel cut off is important if you want smoother throttle response, regardless of the exhaust.  If you do eliminate the catalytic converter, and the AIS is not turned off you may get a lot of popping from the exhaust on closed throttle. 

From what I have read, Two Wheel Dyno Works does a good reflash of our ECU.  Ivan's Performance is probably one of the best tuners and I had my ECU flashed by him with excellent results.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 8/26/2023 at 4:30 PM, skipperT said:

Yes. 
I would leave the airbox and filter alone. There’s really no benefit to those mods unless it’s performed to the extreme and other changes are made to the engine. 
IMHO. 

-Skip

Wasn't the snatchy throttle problem w/ the 15 models fixed in the 17 models ? 

I may use either Ivans or Vcyclenut for for remapping the ECU. Just not sure if a exhaust upgrade would be of any value if not needing to save weight or wanting to change sound, then may have to upgrade air filter, and if increased fuel could damage Cat.  

TNX... 

Edited by howie333

7 hours ago, howie333 said:

Wasn't the snatchy throttle problem w/ the 15 models fixed in the 17 models ? 

Yes they made some mapping changes on the 17 models. 

don’t even worry about changing the air cleaner, the stock one works just fine with an aftermarket exhaust. 
-S

On 8/29/2023 at 4:31 PM, skipperT said:

Yes they made some mapping changes on the 17 models. 

don’t even worry about changing the air cleaner, the stock one works just fine with an aftermarket exhaust. 
-S

Will a remap give a problem to a stock exhaust w/ cat ?

• Supporting Member
On 8/30/2023 at 9:18 PM, howie333 said:

Will a remap give a problem to a stock exhaust w/ cat ?

No problems at all… just let the tuner know you’re keeping the stock exhaust as part of the remap.  

2WDW did this for my 2015 model, and it made a world of difference in the ridability of the bike (especially in A Mode).    Mine is stock exhaust, with AIS block off plates & the plumbing removed.   

4 hours ago, texscottyd said:

No problems at all… just let the tuner know you’re keeping the stock exhaust as part of the remap.  

2WDW did this for my 2015 model, and it made a world of difference in the ridability of the bike (especially in A Mode).    Mine is stock exhaust, with AIS block off plates & the plumbing removed.   

Isn't the AIS used w/ the cat on a stock system ?