Heated gear and power availability

I have a 2022 Tracer 9 GT.  I have a Gerbing heated jacket ( max 6.9 amps) and Gerbing heated gloves(2.2 amps for the pair).   I will not use the OEM heated grips.  I run Denali 2.0 Trioptic lamps (1.6 amps for the pair).  Other power consumption is either OEM or trivial. I ran this combination of power consumption on a Honda CB500x, which has, according to reports, a 500 watt charging system. 

Does anyone know the watt rating of the charging system of the Tracer 9?  Has anyone had success with a Tracer 9 with a similar heated gear setup?

Edited by etex

Same '22 T9GT using Gerbings jacket and gloves plus aux/fog lights. I don't know the watt rating but no issues using this setup here all year round in the cold PacNW.  No battery drain or electric loss while riding or start/stop. 

Edited by robzilla

• Supporting Member

I am not sure of the charging output but I use my heated vest controller via the SAE cable direct to the battery.  I also use the factory  heated grips and wired in accessory Denali DRL lights, Garmin GPS, battery voltmeter and USB charger without issue.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I run a heated jacket (home made), Warm-n-Safe pants, First Gear gloves, along with aux lights and phone charger.

I have a volt meter/USB outlet on my dash, and I can watch the voltage drop in cycles as I ride with heated gear. I rarely have the heated gear on full, so the controller pulses on and off to provide the desired heat level. The voltage bounces between 12.8v and 13.4v steadily. I've ridden like that all day without issues. 

All the replies confirm that I can be warm and toasty this winter.  Thanks!

To draco_1967, could you tell us a bit more about your home made heated jacket?  That's intriguing!

I used carbon fiber tape and some extra flexible wiring. It was mostly to see if I could do it. It wasn't for cost savings because once I bought all the parts needed I was pretty close to a Gerbing or W&S liner...However, none of them were using carbon fiber for heating elements yet. It is nice, soft, and easy to fold away without worrying about breaking wires. It was a major PITA, and I will definitely buy a ready made one when this one bites the dust. I made it back in 2016, I can't believe it's still kicking around and putting out the heat! 😆

ADCreHdPyaEuGZbB-juSmnGlpHLtH60QjtDn4egp

ADCreHdSPUhPiSQxQQ1HIcCHmhPz2LySwY5NgitW

I can't take full credit, as there were a few others who made DIY versions years ago on ADV rider. This was a really basic diagram showing how to wire the carbon tape:

ADCreHf5l0RGoMl4C8JO5hujssQ0Yq4Cz2eaihZ_

• Thumbsup 4

Best you have a voltmeter and monitor it.  I don't think you have anything to worry about, should handle all that gear including the heated grips if you monitor the voltage.  Spec in the service manual (2019-20) says charging system is 14V = 29.6 Amps, so loosely say 415 watts, some of which the bike needs to run..... the question is how much excess is available and that's not stated.

Once the charging voltage drops to 12.9, you are now starting to use the battery to supplement the shortcoming.  That's OK for a while, let's say if that voltage drops to 12.5, but you are using battery..... best not let that go on, and dial down your heated gear.  You ride all day but your battery is not likely to have a full charge when you get home, so plug it in to your battery tender.....

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 11/3/2023 at 3:58 PM, Denideul said:

You can also add this kind of device that cuts alimentation under an adjustable volt value.

Cool gadget. I wouldn't necessarily want to use it to drop a circuit at low run voltage (for say load shedding). Wonder if it draws anything at standby.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I run Hotwired heated jacket, heated grips, Corbin heated seat, Givi aux lights, Garmin GPS, phone charger and USB charger with inline volt meter in my top box for charging batteries and various camping electronics. No issues. 

Edited by MarchingOn

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

Meh... doesn't say how much current it can handle.  OTOH, you can easily monitor a voltmeter........

Yeah... I suppose the idea of the gadget would be to have something happen automatically, like disconnect a load.

Looks like you'd have to drive a relay coil with this board rather than actual load. Upon reading of some buyer comments (Amazon)... the display module remains lit, even when the output relay disconnects. So when on a switched circuit this thing would work well to load shed. To follow through with @Ziggy105's idea... would be easy to rig a LED pilot light to alert the rider when that happens.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif