How does it sound

13 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

If it is a local bank, you can go to the bank with the seller, give the bank the money, and they will release the lean through the DMV. Make sure they put you as the owner of the title. I had an issue with my car when the bank for some reason put the PO on the title, even though it had my address on it. I had to have the PO sign the new title over to me. A little bit of a pain, but the PO was a good guy. 

Bikes in buffalo, I’m in Brooklyn.  It’s an all day ride in frigid temps so I’m tryin to have it shipped

• Premium Member

I had to do that in 1973 when I bought my first Japanese bike.  Met the PO at HFC in San Francisco and paid off his loan and they signed over the title to me right then and there.  I drove with him to Sausalito over the GGB to get the bike, had dinner with him and his soon to be ex-wife (why he was selling the bike, a cherry aquamarine blue 72 Honda SL350; great bike) and kid.  Stayed there that night, and in the morning he went with me to the Mill Valley DMV, as he knew the lady clerk there; him being an ex-Sausalito cop.  I didn't want to give up my home state license (which in those days were paper with no photo), so he vouched for me and I got a Cali license but without the MC endorsement; again, no photo.  Had to go back later and take the written and field test.  The latter entailed riding around in the DMV parking lot while the tester yelled commands.  5 minutes I had my endorsement.  Only time I had to do that.  In 50+ years since then I think I've had to take the MC written test once more!