• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Footpeg feelers

Funny thing happened today as I was exiting my place to go to work. Riding across the slightly off-camber grass to the driveway at ultra slow feet down pace, my right boot top (SIDI type mid length road boot) got caught in the right footpeg feeler and I couldn't repostion it for balance etc. At first i had no idea what happened till I looked down and saw it. I had to lean the bike to the left so as to assist in releasing it from the boot. Upon reflection, this could have ended somewhat worse than it did and maybe a little more embarrassing if it had happened at a stop light. As with previous bikes owned, I removed these that evening. They easily unscrew from the pegs. I understand that they are my first warning of approaching lean angles that could touch something more unforgiving (centre and side stand) but as extreme lean angles are rare on the street, and track use would absolutely necessitate removal of the centre and side stands, I figure its a fair trade-off from it happening again at a less forgiving place and time.  Thoughts anyone?

• Premium Member
Funny thing happened today as I was exiting my place to go to work. Riding across the slightly off-camber grass to the driveway at ultra slow feet down pace, my right boot top (SIDI type mid length road boot) got caught in the right footpeg feeler and I couldn't repostion it for balance etc.  [...] Thoughts anyone?
I found that they're so long that the left one interfered with putting the sidestand down, so I removed them pretty quickly too.  I'm not surprised to hear that it's possible for it to get stuck on something.  I've never seen feelers that long on any other bike. 
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I caught a boot lace in the left one when riding a short distance (normally use zipped Daytona boots but was dropping the bike off for the recall work) so they have been removed now. I had to buy a 7mm spanner (£1.20 on Ebay) as both of my adjustable ones have a wider jaw than the flat slot.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I did the same, first time a lace got caught in the feeler, I plucked them off. I have thought about putting the shorter ones from the FZ-09 on, so there is at least something there... but I do think it looks better without them on there.

Yeah they are kinda long, but don't you think they were put there for a reason? Maybe a warning before you lever the rear wheel off the ground with something more solid? And while true that in most street riding situations it would be rare to get that far over, I can guarantee you that riding the twisties of West Virginia or N. Carolina at a spirited pace (not even squid/stupid fast)you could certainly touch them down.

Just a thought. :)

• Premium Member
Yeah they are kinda long, but don't you think they were put there for a reason? Maybe a warning before you lever the rear wheel off the ground with something more solid? And while true that in most street riding situations it would be rare to get that far over, I can guarantee you that riding the twisties of West Virginia or N. Carolina at a spirited pace (not even squid/stupid fast)you could certainly touch them down.  
I think they are a safety hazard at low speed or a standstill. As stated, you can catch a boot lace in them. Same might apply to the velcro strap on my waterproof overtrousers. This is a more likely occurrence than grounding something whilst cornering - my toes hit the deck before those feelers to remind me I'm maybe getting a bit too exuberant. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Yeah they are kinda long, but don't you think they were put there for a reason? Maybe a warning before you lever the rear wheel off the ground with something more solid?
Oh I know they were put there for a reason, and there is good intention behind them. I would rather save myself from going down because my boot lace caught a feeler. I'm no moto gp rider. So i'll let them do the hardcore leaning, and enjoy the little bit that I do lean.

Guest bmidd
I removed mine a long time ago and I ride the NC/TN mountains all the time. When the toe slider on my boot scrapes, I know I'm getting down the road.  Your foot pegs fold and won't lever you off the ground. They are literally twice as long as any feeler I have had on a bike.

Bmidd-

Ok, you've got me curious. I'm trying to figure out how the tips of your toes are ever hitting the pavement? By chance do you ride with the pegs on the arches of your feet, with your toes BELOW the shifter and rear brake?

I find that when riding the twisties, I've got the balls of my feet on the pegs, and when leaned way over, I am not shifting at all, so have my left toes above the shifter and right toes above the rear brake. Its then that the feelers can do their job.

In addition, if your pegs have no feelers, and you do touch them down, then my point is that something hard that WILL lever you off is probably touching down then too, if it hasn't already. 

I bet the Yamaha engineers figured that out, and put the feelers at the length they did for that very reason- a safety cushion.  Once you're over so far that the peg itself touches (sans feelers), I bet you are also out of tread on the rear, so that would become very exciting, very quickly too. :)

Go to say these are no where near as bad as the Blackbird which I was always getting caught up in!
I find this one to be OK- also i did manage to touch down the bobbin on a roundabout when we were coming back from a tour, we were two up with panniers! My girlfriend was asking `what was that`? LOL

Think they are so long to offset the center stand. Have managed to get my right boot lace caught a few times, ground the right feeler and my left boot!

• Premium Member
Curious, what boots do you guys wear that have laces? I can see how the laces can get caught in the feelers, but come to think about it, a motorcycle has lots of bits that can tangle a boot lace, at various stages of mounting or dismounting.

• Premium Member
Curious, what boots do you guys wear that have laces? I can see how the laces can get caught in the feelers, but come to think about it, a motorcycle has lots of bits that can tangle a boot lace, at various stages of mounting or dismounting.
It happened the first time when I rode the less than a mile to my local dealer - I was wearing Clarks loafers as I was walking back home via a trip to Gregg's for breakfast and Sainsbury's for groceries.  
I sometimes ride in Doc Martens boots in the summer if doing a bit of walking around during the day, although the short Daytona bike boots I now wear, that have a zip fastener, reduces the number of times that happens.

My main concern would be around home, moving the bike in/out of the garage wearing non-bike clothing. I wouldn't want to get a lace of my best moccasin slippers caught up in one of the feelers and headbutt my drive whilst not wearing a helmet or whilst wearing shorts :)

Archived