Why is the stock windscreen so terrible? Angle related?

bubba

6'-0" 32" inseam and the stock windscreen is noisy at all positions. I previously bolted on a left over wind deflector to the top of the stock windscreen and it did help but was still noisy.

The other day I pushed out the top 2 screws of the windscreen by 1.5" or so. I did this by adding 2 washers, a rubber spacer and nut to longer screws then affixed to the top 2 holes behind that black windscreen mounting bracket. I used longer (but shorter than then top 2 screws) on the bottom 2 holes.

I experimented at the 3 height settings and settled for the highest setting. There is a noticeable reduction in the amount of wind and noise around my helmet. If I had to rate my satisfaction with the windscreen on a scale of 1 to 10 then:

Stock = 1

Stock plus deflector = 4

Stock plus deflector plus new angle = 6

YMMV. Could also get better/worse results without the deflector.

I won't be satisfied until I get to a rating of at least 8. I will wait and see what Givi comes out with and am also thinking of purchasing the Madstad kit. I would probably ditch the Madstad screen (it's so ugly) and find an alternate screen to mount to the Madstad bracket as the bracket seems quite functional with its height and angle adjustments.

photo%2B%252875%2529.JPG
photo%2B%252877%2529.JPG
photo%2B%252876%2529.JPG

• Premium Member
I am the same height and inseam as you, and I have the Cal Science Medium, which is good, but not great. I might try that with the cs. Thanks.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest rszk
^^one thing that Madstad advocates is a 60 degree angle on the windshield. Can you test that?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Like others I tried leaning it back more. Can't say it helped, but I didn't angle it back as much as Bubba angled it forward.
Being 5'8" with a 29 inch inseam, I think my only solution is to cut it down.
I noticed if I stood (what I thought was) 2 or so inches up on the pegs, my head was in clear silent air.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Like others I tried leaning it back more. Can't say it helped, but I didn't angle it back as much as Bubba angled it forward. Being 5'8" with a 29 inch inseam, I think my only solution is to cut it down.
I noticed if I stood (what I thought was) 2 or so inches up on the pegs, my head was in clear silent air.

Cheers
I cannot help wondering if some folks are unaware that the screen has three (3) different height positions - see your Owner's Manual under 'windshield'... L

• Premium Member
I cannot help wondering if some folks are unaware that the screen has three (3) different height positions - see your Owner's Manual under 'windshield'... L

I have mine as low as it goes. Instead of cutting the screen down I have decided to drill a matching set of holes 2-2.5 inch up. This will keep the stock width, but drop it down. Will space it off to ensure it clears the nose. 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
So I recently added two spacers (totaling 1/2 inch) to the bottom mounting holes of the windscreen frame. Then I added 3/8 of spacers to the lower two mounting holes of the windscreen. Reduced wind noise and some air flow around the shoulders, but not bad. An improvement for sure.
Next I drilled new holes lowering the screen two inches. I still have wind noise in the helmet (Sh#t!)and more air with slight turbulence around the shoulders.

My thinking was since the double bubble on the Daytona had such a steep angle, that maybe this would help. Now I am thinking that what is needed is a serious bow in the screen instead of the mostly flat slab we have now.

Will post pics in a minute.

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
Btw, the mounting hardware for the plastic sub mount is M6 and for the windscreen is M5. Got the bolts and the spacers at Ace Hardware.
Not thrilled with the look, but will sacrifice look to get rid of the roar in my ears.

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/daleh627/media/Angled%20lowered%20screen_zpsjfrtli8a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

[/img]
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 1 month later...
I have had this bike for 60 days now.  Since day 1 I have been dealing with this windshield.  Highway, suburbs, neighborhood, errands.  Always dealing with this huge amount of turbulence and noise.  I am 6"2".  Sometimes I wear my full helmet and sometimes I wear my half-helmet.  I have tried earplugs, I have tried the windshield in the high, medium and low positions, lots of times.  I have tried moving forwards and back in the seat.

The effin thing was driving me crazy.  No relief.  I am reading all of your posts to select a new windscreen.

It is warm here in Philly this summer.  Friday afternoon, out of work early - oh, boy ride in the country.  But his stinking windshield is killing me, so loud, such buffeting.  I can't stand it.  And I always leave my bikes in stock form.

Saturday morning, I have totally had it.  I took it off.  Took 25 seconds - 4 easy screws.  So easy.

WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE.  Smooth cool quiet air.  What a relief.  I can hear the bike now.  The air is so smooth now.  You gotta try it.

For highway and cooler weather, I'll buy an aftermarket shield, whatever you guys recommend.  But in the meantime, if you are suffering the buffeting and noise like I was - take it off.  It's great.  Really great.

ayrton, it drives me crazy also. And I test rode the bike and did not notice then. I am 5'8", 29" inseam and bought the CalSci large. No joy. Around 70 mph is crazy loud on any of the 3 positions. Crouching a bit, the noise goes away. That is the only reason I did not return the windshield. The madstad is just not to my liking and it needs modification of the hand guards. I wear custom ear plugs but still too loud.

I did the same and ran without the shield until the CalSci arrived. I plan to take some time and do some sound recordings and have a real comparison at different speeds. Sometimes the difference between stock and CalSci was too close.

Good luck in your search

Yeah, that's what I found to be true as well.  I tried an Xcreen Sport with the stock shield and that didn't help much.  But taking off the stock screen and using just the Xcreen is much better.  Still more turbulence then I used to get when riding my FZ-09.  Oh well, the search continues.  Maybe need to do something with the fairing????

Archived