2023 MT10SP review

Wintersdark

Thanks for the review.  From all I have read the cross plane four cylinder motor is brilliant.  And I agree with you on the exhaust note of the bike as it sounds fantastic. 

If I ever give up touring, I have thought about the MT09 SP as my next bike, but the MT10 SP is also a contender.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

17 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

The sound.  God, the sound it makes.  The intake noise in particular you *feel* in your chest, and it's awesome.  The CP4 sounds a lot like a V4, not at all like your standard inline 4. Much more growl than whine.

That is what got me *that* close to buying an MT10 over the Tracer. It sounds soooo good, even stock. What held me back was the range and the desire to keep my license (which would have been significantly at risk with the MT10...😈).

The Tracer still makes me smile when I ride, but that MT10 had me giggling like a maniac when I cracked the throttle. 

On 12/4/2023 at 6:43 AM, johnmark101 said:

Thanks for the review.  From all I have read the cross plane four cylinder motor is brilliant.  And I agree with you on the exhaust note of the bike as it sounds fantastic. 

If I ever give up touring, I have thought about the MT09 SP as my next bike, but the MT10 SP is also a contender.

If I'm being honest, I think the 09SP is a more reasonable machine for the vast majority of people.  It's also sporting a good suspension and the new chassis is a lot improved, while being equally wheelie happy.  The 10 is dumb.  But good lord is it fun to ride. 

On 12/4/2023 at 9:12 AM, draco_1967 said:

That is what got me *that* close to buying an MT10 over the Tracer. It sounds soooo good, even stock. What held me back was the range and the desire to keep my license (which would have been significantly at risk with the MT10...😈).

The Tracer still makes me smile when I ride, but that MT10 had me giggling like a maniac when I cracked the throttle. 

It's a real danger.  I mean, you can be doing 200kph in 4th and just be in the middle of the powerband.  It's an extremely, unreasonably, ridiculously fast machine. I did a trip from Calgary - Red Deer and back today, and was rarely below 160kph/100mph, and that just felt like a sedate cruise.  The feel and sound when you get on the throttle is *addictive*.

• Thumbsup 2

So, as today's trip involved a long of long, straight, utterly flat highway, I spent some time on cruise control at various speeds while sitting upright and noted fuel consumption.  If you tuck, you can save a fair bit, particularly at higher speeds, but I wanted to get realistic numbers for a long cruise at speed. 

Speed - Consumption - Range

100kph - 22km/l - 374km

120kph - 20km/l - 340km

130kph - 17km/l - 289km

140kph - 13.5km/l - 230km

150kph - 12.8km/l - 217km

160kph -11.3km/l - 192km

200kph - 8km/l - 136km

Obviously in practice ranges are going to be a bit lower as this would require steady state riding vs acceleration/ stopping / etc, and how it's physically
impossible to not accelerate hard from every stop while screaming into your helmet.

But it's really not bad if you ride the speed limit then you can get ranges that are actually impressive.

On another note, the seat.  It's much maligned, but honestly at least for my big butt it's quite comfortable.  It's very firm, but not hard - as someone who has owned an MT07 and Tenere 700, there is a significant difference.  The MT10's seat is also broad and well shaped, and at a very good angle (I'm looking at you, stock Tracer seat position).  No sore bum whatsoever today. 

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member

Some interesting observations, as always

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount