Least expensive, easiest alternative Exhaust

buckybuk

I plan on getting this exhaust as soon as I can afford to spend money for this and a tuner. Seems there are reports of the bike running lean without a tuner. I'm not willing to take the chance on damaging my engine.This is the least expensive one of the best sounding I have found so far.

FZ-09 same applicationVideo of install here.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=36217
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any issues of retaining the centerstand with an aftermarket exhaust?

I could see an alternative to the stock 'heavy' system but wouldn't want to give up the centerstand and personally wouldn't want to increase the loudness too much over stock.

I plan on getting this exhaust as soon as I can afford to spend money for this and a tuner. Seems there are reports of the bike running lean without a tuner. I'm not willing to take the chance on damaging my engine.This is the least expensive one of the best sounding I have found so far.
It loses the oxygen sensor, which affects the closed loop fuel injection system. So you'll need some sort of fuel reprogrammer between the ECU and the injectors. He says it save 8 lbs. Personally, I really like the look of the stock F[Z/J]-09 system vs a traditional muffler hanging off the side which might interfere with luggage options.
Are you looking to save weight, or just want a louder exhaust? Not sure why a sport-touring bike needs more noise.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Guest eatpasta
It loses the oxygen sensor, which affects the closed loop fuel injection system. So you'll need some sort of fuel reprogrammer between the ECU and the injectors. He says it save 8 lbs. Personally, I really like the look of the stock F[Z/J]-09 system vs a traditional muffler hanging off the side which might interfere with luggage options.
Are you looking to save weight, or just want a louder exhaust? Not sure why a sport-touring bike needs more noise.

one of the problems with having the cat there, is that it cooks the transmission.  Lots of GS owners lose the CAT because of this very reason.  If you like the look of the stock system you could cut the cat out and have a cross through pipe installed I suppose.
    and as far as weight savings, if losing the stock system saves 8 lbs, if you couple that with a Shorani battery, that could be 15 or 16 pounds right off the bat..... that's pretty significant IMHO
    lose a few more do-dads and you're looking at maybe 30 lbs of weight maybe?

Guest eatpasta
I lost 9 lbs from my FZ-09 when I changed to an M-4 exhaust, it was well worth it. You dont really notice just how big and heavy that damn thing is until you remove it.
yeah, that much weight doesnt seem like that much until you're holding it - THEN it hits home     I often thought about ditching the stock exhaust on my GS because the weight savings was something stupid like 20 lbs but then you realize on that bike, that's like a drop in the bucket

:P

on this bike 20 lbs would make a HUGE difference

I lost 9 lbs from my FZ-09 when I changed to an M-4 exhaust, it was well worth it. You dont really notice just how big and heavy that damn thing is until you remove it.
Did you add a tuner ? if not how is the backfire ?
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

[span]He says it save 8 lbs. Personally, I really like the look of the stock F[Z/J]-09 system vs a traditional muffler hanging off the side which might interfere with luggage options.[/span]
one of the problems with having the cat there, is that it cooks the transmission.  Lots of GS owners lose the CAT because of this very reason.  If you like the look of the stock system you could cut the cat out and have a cross through pipe installed I suppose.
I may look into that if the CAT heat causes problems. I may be the only person who likes the location and shape of the stock muffler...
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

The tuner has nothing to do with backfire. Backfire is caused by the AIS or EIs, forget the name but it's an emmisions device pumping air into the exhaust. You can get block off plates or simply block the hose.

I did install a fuel programmer, the EJK by Dobeck Performance.

Did you add a tuner ? if not how is the backfire ?

Guest eatpasta
I may look into that if the CAT heat causes problems. I may be the only person who likes the location and shape of the stock muffler...
yeah - hey you like what you like.  You should see the cat for the GS, it's got to be twice the size of this FJ one.... just insane.      Eliminating the CAT will also give the bike a beefier sound.  Probably not much louder but less like a sewing machine....

Keep an eye out from Remus, they do a lot of "through pipes" and they might make one for the FJ.

Hell you could email them and they may tell you that if you get 6 or 7 orders together, they will make a batch.  Elka did that for us for shocks.... in fact I wouldnt mind having a three way Elka shock on the back of my FJ if I ever get one.  Not cheap but, man do they make great stuff

yeah - hey you like what you like.  You should see the cat for the GS, it's got to be twice the size of this FJ one.... just insane.      Eliminating the CAT will also give the bike a beefier sound.  Probably not much louder but less like a sewing machine....

Keep an eye out from Remus, they do a lot of "through pipes" and they might make one for the FJ.

Hell you could email them and they may tell you that if you get 6 or 7 orders together, they will make a batch.  Elka did that for us for shocks.... in fact I wouldnt mind having a three way Elka shock on the back of my FJ if I ever get one.  Not cheap but, man do they make great stuff

Ok so backfire isn't a big deal to me but no cats and it running lean is.. would you say that a tuner is required or could I get away without it. 
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

Guest eatpasta

Ok so backfire isn't a big deal to me but no cats and it running lean is.. would you say that a tuner is required or could I get away without it.

Im no expert but from what I understand, the bike should compensate by itself at least to a certain degree.  The computer just notices a change and adjusts the fueling.  Similar to climbing a mountain - the bike should be making fueling changed along the way.
    I've ridden my GS without the cat and it didnt seem to bother it and I added slipons to my SV1000 when I had it and it didnt seem to bother the bike either - and it didnt backfire.
    Having said that, adding a computer wouldn't hurt.  In fact im sure it would probably increase your fuel mileage slightly but I think if you cut the cat and the bike runs fine....just go with it.

It's the beauty of fuel injection

Thanks for the Remus tip. Elka: Rode a friend's Vstrom with the Elka 4-way, very nice shock! Their prices have recently dropped 20 - 25 %.I might be in for a group build Elka for the FJ after I hit 30K kms in 2 or 3 years.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Guest eatpasta

Thanks for the Remus tip. Elka: Rode a friend's Vstrom with the Elka 4-way, very nice shock! Their prices have recently dropped 20 - 25 %.I might be in for a group build Elka for the FJ after I hit 30K kms in 2 or 3 years.

ok cool.  I was very pleased with mine for my GS - not cheap - but very nice shocks.
    We did a group buy over at ADV and Im still in contact with my guy over there so as a few more people get interested I can try and orchestrate something.
     It will be a lot cheaper for the FJ as we only need the rear.  I think I paid something like $1300 for the pair for the Beemer....
:o

• Premium Member
Personally, I really like the look of the stock F[Z/J]-09 system vs a traditional muffler hanging off the side which might interfere with luggage options.Are you looking to save weight, or just want a louder exhaust? Not sure why a sport-touring bike needs more noise.

I actually like the look of stock also, but want to save weight and add some sound. I personally like to hear my bike in the twisties so I know what the motor is doing. I guess I am more sport than tourer. I put louder pipes on my FJR, and it sounds nice. Sounded like a sewing machine before.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived