LED Turn Signals

Maybe I should have posted this in The Garage, but it's more of an "I wonder" than an "I'm doing this" post. 

I won't sugar coat my opinion on this matter, but I do not like look of the bulbous FJ-09's stock turn signals. Feel free to disagree, that's the beauty of a free continent.

Anyone have any experience with installing LED turn signals? The OEM Yamaha LED's aren't bad looking, but not sure how easy they are to install or whether I should look at other types, like flush mount or just brands you'd recommend. I know that replacing the front blinkers with LED's likely means losing the running light function, but the orange side running lights screwed up all my sweet pictures of the white LED running lights in the headlights! Form before safety right? (Mostly sarcasm there, mostly) I also hear there are some relay considerations to make to get LED's to flash like we aren't in Europe. I've always been pretty tech savvy and am good with electronics, but going under the hood (fairing?) on a motorcycle is a new world to me. Pardon any ignorance. 

Anyway, I thought this was cool (it's for an FZ-09, but still), and curious if anyone else has ideas or examples to share. 

No need to sugar-coat it, I agree with you about the turn signals, you can thank our DOT, and the manufacturers needing to adhere to their requirements.

I would think the Yamaha ones would mount easily? Could check into getting the turn signals that come on the MT-09 Tracer, which should be a straight-swap?

@xcsp I didn't realize the Tracer had different signals. Now it all makes sense.

You can only buy 'rear' LED signals from Yamaha Canada, and it says you can use them on the front but don't get the running light function, and they flash the European way (hyperblink). So in Europe, the front signals probably don't work as running lights.

That means the ones in the website would be a straight swap, but there's a relay you need to get as well to slow the blinking back down to what we're used to. Will have to figure out what to buy for that. 

I'll do some thinking, but for the back, I kind of want to wait for that integrated turn signal/tail light combo! That plus a tail tidy would really clean up the back end.

@gsorider that's exactly the info anyone wanting to do this upgrade will need. Thanks! 
I don't know if I'll do this now or in a few months, but after I do I'll post my results.
You'll probably need the turn signal spacer adapters as well. I got mine from Cycle Gear down the road. I believe "Yamaha 1" is correct. I'd have to check the package when I get home. You'll need one package for front and another for the rear as you sandwich 2 of them together on both sides of the OEM plastic. 
Turn Signal Adapters

Good to know I can get those adapters separate. They come with the Yamaha LED's, but I may not go with those ones.  

@gsorider yeah those look alright. Anything clear is better than orange. What ever you decide, I'd love to see pictures.

My brother is trying to convince me to go with flush mount signals on the front and an integrated tail light. That would make things pretty sleek. Still undecided though. I want to wait until I get saddle bags and figure out the tail tidy solution. With bags and a tail tidy, I may not get away with protruding signals at all. Might hit the bags. Might not. Hard to say without trying it.

Can anyone confirm wether or not the FJ09 has running/turn lights on all four corners...or just running/turn front and turn only rear?  Thanks in advance.
The rear turn signals are just turn signals not running lights. The only running lights on the rear is the license plate light and part of the tail light NOT the turn signals.  

• Premium Member
Can anyone confirm wether or not the FJ09 has running/turn lights on all four corners...or just running/turn front and turn only rear?  Thanks in advance.
The rear turn signals are just turn signals not running lights. The only running lights on the rear is the license plate light and part of the tail light NOT the turn signals.

Thanks!!  I am trying to decide on light options while I am waiting for my grey FJ to show up...  It looks like once you delete that fugly plate hanger from the rear and add a FEK, the signals may get in the way of the side cases when equipped.  Interested to see how people get around this.

Thanks!!  I am trying to decide on light options while I am waiting for my grey FJ to show up...  It looks like once you delete that fugly plate hanger from the rear and add a FEK, the signals may get in the way of the side cases when equipped.  Interested to see how people get around this.

Once I'm done my FEK install and front flush mount signal installs, I'll post pictures of how I got around it. Spoiler alert, they're micro signals that attach through convinient factory holes under the tail... ;) gonna look nifty.

• 3 months later...
There are these...

http://www.motodynamic.com/yamaha/turn-signals/flush-mount-led-front-turn-signals-2009-2015-yamaha-fz6r-fj09.html

Has anyone tried any of the integrated rear brake light / turn signals? I found this as well, but can't locate any real user info / feedback on quality or brightness...

http://www.motodynamic.com/2014-2015-yamaha-fz-09-sequential-led-tail-lights-clear.html

I have their integrated taillight. Super easy plug and play install. Works awesome. Way brighter then the stock led tailight. The strobe/pulse effect when applying the brake is really eye catching. It was money well spent 

Archived