Which side of Sport Touring do you prefer, sport or touring?

• Premium Member
As the FJ-09 is characterized as a sport-touring bike, I was wondering which side of the spectrum you all prefer. (sport or touring). With the FJR1300, most of the riders preferred the touring side. I mostly ride the twisties, so I prefer to sport side. I know some of you will prefer both, but choose your favorite type of riding even if you do both.
As this is the first poll, I win, or as some would say, I loose. ;)

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta
hey cool! Our first poll!

You can tour on anything and you can "sport" ride on anything (I suppose) but let's face it, if you can ride, you can keep dammed near anyone behind you.

We've all seen that video of Yellow Wolf leaving a sport bike in the dust at the Gap (a darksider no less but please let us not start that debate right now), and there is a stunt rider out here in LA that riders an 1150GS because one day he was desperately trying to pass one on his Hyabusa and for the life of him could not reel the guy in so he went and bought one.

So for me, I say if you're traveling be comfortable but leave the couch at home. I've done 700 mile trips on the Speed Triple in two days and it was fun but would I do it again? Probably not.
So I fall in the middle somewhere. Prefer something upright preferably with boxes that dont touch down before the pegs

:o

My preference here in Idaho is Dirt Touring, lol. Up here, the most beautiful places cannot be reached by pavement.

But I enjoy sport touring, hitting the twisties, purposely taking the long way to get to places via Mountain roads. Stopping to take pics, stopping at all the little hole in the wall restaurants and bars.

Guest eatpasta
But I enjoy sport touring, hitting the twisties, purposely taking the long way to get to places via Mountain roads. Stopping to take pics, stopping at all the little hole in the wall restaurants and bars.
isnt this essentially the entire purpose of motorcycling?   This is the aspect that my folks don't comprehend - why would you take 12 hours to get somewhere when you could get there in 4? 
.....well if it goes through Big Sur.....

:D

My preference here in Idaho is Dirt Touring, lol. Up here, the most beautiful places cannot be reached by pavement.
and yes I have found this to be true as well.  I wonder who will be the first to use a donor Tiger 800 front end and wheel for an FJ09..... 

:o

I voted for the sporty side of touring. With over 200,000 on 05 FJRs, I also tour, as most of that could have been done in less than 1/2 the miles. The FZ was for the sporty stuff, only to find out that I was as fast or all most as fast on the FJR. But it was so much more work. I find the FJ even easier than the FZ to ride in the corners, but that just may be my perception of what is going on. The throttle has so much to do with it. It appears that the GMs on here also ride FJRs and like me are looking for more sport, therefore FJ-09s. At FJR events, you must attend to really know whether they lean towards sport or touring, you will find those guys that can ride fast, even being on the darkside and unbelievable fast. Of course they are the ones that get the tickets too.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Already wished I would have voted I hate polls! Light Touring is my preferance. No more heavy Sport Touring and especially. Done with GoldWing Touring for sure.
2015 FJ-09 matte gray
2013 Honda CB1100
2004 Triumph T100 Bonneville

I attend about 3 rallies that require some distance over the course of a year but the longest only amounts to at most a week and a half. The rest is a lot of sport riding in the western Carolina mountains where I live but the bike must have an upright seating position because I'm no kid and can't/won't ride hunched over all day. Tomorrow, I'm headed up into the dirt highlands for the day on the DRZ400 then Saturday out in the foothills (less road salt than the mountains) on the FJR. I've been wanting to downsize the FJR for a couple years and the FJ-09 looks like it'll be the ticket. Somebody has to step up and make a Givi compatible top case rack for the FJ-09. My top case clips to whichever bike I'm riding and contains some basic tools, electronics, tire repair, etc stuff I always carry with me.

Guest eatpasta
 I've been wanting to downsize the FJR for a couple years and the FJ-09 looks like it'll be the ticket. Somebody has to step up and make a Givi compatible top case rack for the FJ-09. My top case clips to whichever bike I'm riding and contains some basic tools, electronics, tire repair, etc stuff I always carry with me.
ha - great minds think alike.  my E52 has been on my last three bikes....wife loves it because she can lie back and sleep.
   and I think that's #5 for ditching the FJR

I attend about 3 rallies.................. Somebody has to step up and make a Givi compatible top case rack for the FJ-09. My top case clips to whichever bike I'm riding and contains some basic tools, electronics, tire repair, etc stuff I always carry with me.
Yamaha has a rear rack that looks like you could mount a Givi mounting plate too. But note the weight limitations. Take a look at the rack I made.  It is plenty strong enough to hold what ever you put in a top box. And all I have to do is mount the mounting plate and I am good to go with my top box. Which I use 80% of the time w/my FJR.  I'm trying to downsize too. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I'm not kidding about using the Givi Monokey topcase on everything.  The mount on my DRZ is adapted from one I had on a K,LR650.  The same could be done for the FJ-09 but I'd rather just buy something already made for the job.  Hopefully, Givi is working on it.

FJR%2520NC-80%2520Blind%2520Kenny%252016k.jpg?gl=US

DRZ%2520on%2520Pineola.jpg?gl=US

Guest eatpasta
I'm not kidding about using the Givi Monokey topcase on everything.  The mount on my DRZ is adapted from one I had on a K,LR650.  The same could be done for the FJ-09 but I'd rather just buy something already made for the job.  Hopefully, Givi is working on it. 

Im sure they are - then I'll have to buy ANOTHER one..... 
  but the one that they made for the FJR is nice.  I much prefer it to the stock thingie that was there

Archived