Yamaha -09 Series Beats New Multistrada 1200S in 1/4 Mile!

You have to remember the Multistrada has a shorter powerband, with it's much lower redline. The Multistrada is probably in 4th gear when it passes the 1/4 mile and the FJ probably requires one less shift. Less shifts gives it a big advantage, even though the Multi has bigger horsepower.

Most of the tests I have seen on the American FJ at least, the bikes are going through the finish line on the speed limiter. I bet it would shave off quite a bit of time if they weren't stuck going 112mph for the last portion of the run.

@rogerc: Curious to hear how you would compare the Multi and the FJ around town in particular. My guess is that the FJ is easier to deal with around town? Smoother low-RPM behavior, and a bit smaller and lighter in general. Is this the case?

FJ is a little easier but just by a little. The best Way to describe it is that my FJ is my hooligan bike and my Multistrada is my overall bike.
The multi Strada is more planted has a better suspension is overall faster all the way through all of the gears.
The FJ quick and a little quicker through the corners but not by much.

• Premium Member
My friend has the new Multistrada and it is a frikken' rocket. There is simply no way our bikes are quicker. I have rolled onto the freeway with him and been left in the dust.
I love triples and our FJ, but the MS's engine is in a whole different league.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

The new Multistage only makes 130hp at the wheel, compared to a claimed 160hp at the crank. The new VVT on the Ducati may play a role in the poor performance as well. I did not like the way the power band hit in the middle of the rpm range. It would take a lot of getting used to. I like the engine on the FJ better. 

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/bmw-s1000xr-vs-ducati-multistrada-1200-tested-to-limit-on-two-wheels?src=SOC&dom=fb

Archived