Power Outlet

Moderators, if this thread should be in the garage area feel free to move it.

I went and saw my first FJ-09 the other day.  Nice bike.  When I asked about the power outlet the sales person said that one was available as an extra.  The Yamaha coporate site says that the outlet is standard on the FJ-09 and at least one reviewer mentions that there are two outlets near the LCD display.  Does anyone know the true story about the outlet(s)?  Also, is it the US or BMW style plug?  Thanks.

The one on the left of the display comes standard with the bike. Adding a second one is a cheap option for the hardware, since the bike wiring harness makes it plug and play, but there is some labor involved to install it since it required the fairing be removed on that side to knock out the place for it.

It's a standard US style vehicle 12V DC power outlet.

The one on the left side is standard. Comes with the bike. You can add *another* on the right side. I think it's $35 for the part.

I believe it is 12v USA spec. I popped it open the other day, but honestly now you got me thinking. I'm 99% sure it's not the BMW style powerlet ones - which I despise. 

Thanks all for the timely and useful information.   My Powerlet outlets on the current bike are BMW-style but converting the plugs on ends of wires is pretty simple (that's how they all became BMW-style in the first place!).

• 1 year later...
I know this is an old thread.

Anyone installed a powerlet style outlet in their second 12v outlet location? Maybe an oversized washer to span the bigger hole? And buy some yamaha connectors?

Searched my guts out on this and all I can find is someone on ebay that sells a powerlet socket kit for ktm (cigaratte style hole)

I have troubles with my cigarette style plugs vibrating out.

Also I ordered the style 1 powerlet rear set mount outlet kit.. Hoping that will work out with my current heated vest and charger.

I'm going to do the same (powerlet on the left, move the stock SAE to the right) but wired for higher amperage to support an electric vest.

I've already wired up a powerlet that I mounted to a small bracket I bolted between the passenger peg mount and frame.

I use the stock 12V outlet to power up my tank bag. From the tank bag I power up one or two GPS units, R D, phone, auto com. The only other outlet I need is for my heated gear. I wire the heated gear directly to the battery with a in line fuse 7.5-10 amp, all under the seat. I feed the little round plug, which comes with the heated gear, out under the seat on the left side. I installed a modified plastic wire clamp to the side panel and coil the wire from under the seat to that location. The wire clamp allows the plug to be removed so you can plug in your gear. I like this location as when I get off the bike and forget to unplug it will unplug without any issues.  I can also plug in on the go, with care while riding of course.  

4372689.jpg

Tank bag plugs into 12V at dash.

4372682.jpg

Aux. plug for heated gear at left side.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I do much the same as red - 12V socket powers a unit on the bars which has a 12V socket and 5V USB - 12V lead to satnav and a 5V USB lead into the tank bag for phone, camera, headset etc. Separate fused fly lead direct from the battery to power my heated gear.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 10 months later...
I used to run my phone's GPS app (with screen open) with it plugged into the charger via a USB dual plug adapter and it would keep the phone charged 100% no problem, but now it can't keep up and the phone will go dead over time even though it's charging. Not sure when it first happened but near the time I added heated grips. Does the FJ reduce the power output to the plug if heated grips are being used and taking more juice out of the system?

• Premium Member
I used to run my phone's GPS app (with screen open) with it plugged into the charger via a USB dual plug adapter and it would keep the phone charged 100% no problem, but now it can't keep up and the phone will go dead over time even though it's charging. Not sure when it first happened but near the time I added heated grips. Does the FJ reduce the power output to the plug if heated grips are being used and taking more juice out of the system?
the alternator should have no problem providing enough power to run the heated grips & a 2A/3A phone charger. 
I suspect it is more likely that the battery in your phone has aged and is sinking more current so hogging the charger's output - does the phone get noticeably hotter? I had to upgrade my car charger from 1A to 2A recently as the 1A output was no longer enough to keep my phone topped up if using google maps. The phone is a 3 year old HTC One and tends to get very hot nowadays when using google maps.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I normally plug my GPS into the OEM left side cig lighter plug, and installed some peel n' stick loop side Velcro to the left side of the instrument "pod" and bundled up the excess GPS power/traffic antenna cord with one of those Velcro type ties so the hook side of the tie bonds to the instrument cluster to minimize the chance of the plug backing out (though it never did).

In the right side OEM hole (which had to be enlarged slightly with a Dremel drum sander) for I installed a dual USB power port (2.1 amps output per port) that has an fairly accurate LED volt meter between the ports (the rubber weather cover has a rectangular hole in it so the volt meter can be seen with the cover plugged in but I added some black tape to act as a rain visor above this hole just in case). The OEM connectors behind the wind shield power for the USB and a separate 5 volt circuit that serves the RAM X-mount for the cell phone.

For my heated jacket/vest/gloves/tire pump, etc I installed a coaxial power jack with an inline fuse AND a standard SAE power plug for the Battery Tender and any other device powered by an SAE plug about where Redfjniner has his plug hanging out. On tour I carry a Anti-Gravity PPS XP-1 lithium battery kit along with a mini electric tire pump (plus a C02 filler kit and a dozen plus cartridges along with two plug kits, that way I'll knock on plastic, never need them all).

20161028_180019.jpg

20161028_180039.jpg

20161026_223746.jpg

20161026_224031.jpg

20161028_180031.jpg

20160831_204656.jpg

20161026_224721.jpg

Maybe, but it doesn't really get hot and stays charged just fine when plugged into my car's 12v. I'm thinking it must be the adapter or USB cable not signaling to the phone that isn't a high-amp usb for some reason. Maybe got some water in it or something. 

EDIT: Finally figured out that it was a combination of the usb adapter and the usb plug going into the phone getting worked loose and creating a bad connection. Replaced the cable and is working fine now. 

• 1 year later...
I realize that the last posting to this thread was 17 months ago, but I realized that there's some extremely important information missing, especially after viewing the photos 2and3cylinders posted. Before anyone considers installing a second 12v outlet, or ANY additional electrical accessories, you first NEED to know the total combined wattage of EVERYTHING currently running on the bike - this not only means additional accessories you might have installed, such as running/fog lights, multi-color LED lighting, air horn, etc, but also the bike's standard electrical equipment, such as the headlight, taillight, etc. Once you know this, you need to know the electrical charging output of your bike. In the case of the FJ-09, according to Yamaha Motorsports USA, this would be 415W @ 5000rpm (they were unable to provide the idle information). The electrical power draw, under standard operation is probably in the 200-300W range (possibly lower, as Yamaha wasn't able to provide a complete breakdown when I called).

Anyway, based on this, it's estimated (again, based on a 200-300W draw) that you'd have approximately 115-215W MAXIMUM available for user-installed accessories. However, you still need to consider the charging output at idle, which could be as low as half the output under normal operation. Because of this, you could find yourself having a problem if you install too many accessories. If you plan on installing several accessories, I HIGHLY suggest finding out the power draw of everything BEFORE purchasing. Additionally, so as to not have a "spaghetti factory" under your seat, it would be extremely advisable to purchase/install a separate fuse block (most are capable of having up to 5 or 6 accessories wired in), to which your accessories would be wired to the fuse block, instead of directly to the battery. This will not only keep the wiring "clean", but can also help in preventing you from overloading your bike's electrical system.