Mirrors

surfin

I took m FJ-09 on a 3100 mile trip in 8 days last August.  The bike performed excellently overall, however  my biggest gripe is the very small mirrors. Sure they look cool, but they are not very effective for their intended purpose.

I have a slender 6' 1" frame with pretty wide shoulders.  Adjustment range for the mirrors is inadequate to effectively mitigate the problem.  They provide much less rearview then any other bike I have owned.  I cannot usually even see headlight reflections at night (easily seen on all of my previous bikes).

I have not seen any aftermarket products that might help.  Has anyone had a similar problem and found a useful solution?

To me it wasn't the size of the mirrors, it was that I couldn't adjust them to see behind me. My shoulders always were where I wanted to see. At this linked thread I found mirror extenders that get them out past your shoulders so you can adjust them to where you need to.  Here's the link directly to them. 

www.koubalink.com/mirror.html

I hope that helps.

Don't overlook the option to replace the mirrors altogether. I replaced mine with Aprilia Tuono mirrors (BMW sells them too), and the slightly larger head and wider mounting proved to be the perfect thing for me. It did require adapters to change the thread direction on the right side.

Mirrors from AF1 racing in Texas and the adapters from MikesXS. Total cost about $70.

I got a set of the Koubalink extenders and they work great, don't waste $ on a new set of mirrors...
I'll second this.  I found I couldn't get reasonable visibility behind me.  I picked up some 40mm extenders and it completely fixed the visibility issues I was having.  
//QED

• Premium Member
Don't overlook the option to replace the mirrors altogether. I replaced mine with Aprilia Tuono mirrors (BMW sells them too), and the slightly larger head and wider mounting proved to be the perfect thing for me. It did require adapters to change the thread direction on the right side.  
Mirrors from AF1 racing in Texas and the adapters from MikesXS. Total cost about $70.

Do the mirrors vibrate at 60 mph? I use the Koubalink extenders. I like them because I can now see behind me, but the mirrors vibrate when extended. Not a big problem, although they vibrate even more after installing the heated grips.  

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Do the mirrors vibrate at 60 mph? I use the Koubalink extenders. I like them because I can now see behind me, but the mirrors vibrate when extended. Not a big problem, although they vibrate even more after installing the heated grips. 
I believe you but I'm failing to see causation with the heated grips.  The only way they are related is they both are connected to the handle bars.  I don't see how the grips could cause a vibration.  I'm wondering if something just needs tightened down on the mirrors.  I have extenders and heated grips and I don't have any vibration issue.  I hope you can get it worked out.

• Premium Member
I'm failing to see causation with the heated grips.
It doesn't make sense to me either. I went back and rotated the bar a bit and then re-adjusted the mirror angles and tightened it all down again, but it still vibrates more. I also installed grip puppies at the time of the heated grips. I doubt that would affect it either. I may try filling the bar ends with silicone or some weights. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I'm failing to see causation with the heated grips.
It doesn't make sense to me either. I went back and rotated the bar a bit and then re-adjusted the mirror angles and tightened it all down again, but it still vibrates more. I also installed grip puppies at the time of the heated grips. I doubt that would affect it either. I may try filling the bar ends with silicone or some weights.
Yeah. I agree with you on the grip puppies too. I don't see how they could cause anything. I've been thinking about getting grip puppies myself. Is there anything else you did to the bike around the same time period? I'm curious how it all works out.

Archived