Seat Question

ssdan

• Premium Member
It also stops any loose items under the pillion seat working their way into the latch mechanism and releasing the seat latch just as you apply the brakes.

You wouldn't want to go around a corner, drop your arse off the edge of the seat to find the seat succumbing to the forces of gravity...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I always thought that the block might be there so that someone couldn't fit a wire down there and release the seat without the key. At a minimum that would allow a thief to steal the battery. Other than that it didn't seem like it did much.

Does the latch block actually keep the latch from rattling? I didn't think it fit tightly enough to do that. For that matter it didn't seem like it necessarily stopped the latch from moving. I thought the edge by the latch was flat and didn't extend under the rider seat enough to provide interference with the latch. Admittedly I never looked THAT closely at it, so I could be mistaken.

I can see Wessie's warning about something falling down into the latch from the pillion underseat, although there is a plastic barrier that would make that relatively difficult for anything that's not tiny, and you shouldn't be putting tiny loose stuff in there anyway -- too much mischief could happen if it worked its way down on top of e.g. the battery. I keep a couple of things under the pillion seat but nothing has ever moved around enough to be a concern.

I ended up cutting out most of the plastic barrier at the bottom of the pillion underseat so that I could stuff a fuseblock in that area, which is otherwise just dead space. Even if I had loose stuff under the pillion seat it would have trouble getting past the fuseblock and all its wires. :-)

Even though I don't pull the rider seat all that often I had been thinking of removing the latch block permanently anyway because it is a pain in the ass to get out when I do. I've been pulling the seat regularly while I experimented with different seats and upholstering. I decided not to toss it because I didn't know if it did something substantive that wasn't immediately obvious. In my case it's not just that the block is a pain in the neck to get out of there, but the fuseblock stuffed in the area underneath the pillion seat support bar has to be removed too. I hate having to pull the fuseblock out and then screw around poking at the latch block to get it out.

Recently I've been considering drilling a hole through the latch block and running a loop of cord through it so I can pull the block straight out. Really, Yamaha ought to have designed the block to be removed from the top anyway.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
It's not that hard to get out if you tickle it from the bottom. I discovered this after lacerating a finger as the metal bits are sharp.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Recently I've been considering drilling a hole through the latch block and running a loop of cord through it so I can pull the block straight out. Really, Yamaha ought to have designed the block to be removed from the top anyway.
now that's a thought!! 

The metal bits are sharp. I cut myself messing with the seat on a bike in the shop back in January long before I bought it. I've seen no need to mess with it though. Easy enough to get out from underneath for me now that I know how. I don't mess with it much either though.

Archived