muffler/cat ugliness

I just can't get used to that big blob under the bike that mars it's looks (in my opinion). Am strongly considering painting it flat black. Will leave header pipes and exhaust tip/shroud alone. Anyone else done this? Opinions are solicited.

• Premium Member
It was the low slung exhaust on the MT07 I was given as a loan bike that made me consider the big brother. I prefer this set-up to the huge suitcase strapped onto the side of my Super Tenere. Each to their own etc etc
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Post pics when you do please. I'm with @wessie on this one though. The current setup seems to be one of the lowest profile exhausts I've seen on a production bike, especially for a naked / half fairing bike. It was one of the selling points for me.

It was the low slung exhaust on the MT07 I was given as a loan bike that made me consider the big brother. I prefer this set-up to the huge suitcase strapped onto the side of my Super Tenere. Each to their own etc etc
+1 
Tucked in and flush, it allows *any* luggage to be mounted tight to the bike. I like the look of the 'muffler.' The cat? Just don't look at it, and it will leave you alone...
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
I like the tucked-in muffler. It leaves nothing exposed to the side of the FJ that is hot. You can throw a cover over the bike immediately after a ride without burning it.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Thanks for the input, guys. It's not so much the location of the muffler that I have a problem with, it's the huge size, I think. With catalysts being necessary now I guess the hugeness is unavoidable though. It just looks ugly to me. Would even consider an aftermarket exhaust because of the smaller size and weight but don't want louder. My last bike was loud and I'm burnt on loud bikes. I'm thinking a flat black paint job will disguise the thing a bit. If I do decide to paint it will post pics in case anybody else wants to go that way.

• Premium Member
The bike is less top-heavy with it down low, and there's not so much exhaust tubing. All good things IMO.

If you ride with a passenger the FJ's exhaust location is very good, they are unlikely to get burned. I had to always be so careful when my daughter was riding the SV650S, with its muffler right there ready to burn her leg.

While I would love to have something like the F3 exhaust:

_g208141.jpg

I still think the FJ's exhaust is one of the nicest looking of any stock exhaust out there.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived