Which HJC helmet do you like?

cjbrian

I have always had good luck with HJC helmets. I have dirt,street and auto racing versions and all have been great. Yesterday I bought a new HJC RPHA ST. On paper it sounds great. Lightweight, good air flow, internal sun shade and designed to be a sport touring helmet for upright sitting position. But in reality it's the worst helmet I have ever owned. Its crazy loud, it feels like wearing a rudder that wants to snap your neck if you turn your head and starts to lift off my head at freeway speeds. So I'm going to return this one and buy a different model. Going to stay with HJC because they fit my head the best. Can anyone recommend a good model? Price not an issue.

• Premium Member
They look lovely and in the UK the Triumph branded ones are rebadged HJC. This makes it impossible for me to buy a helmet in my local Triumph dealer as they only stock HJC in addition to Triumph helmets. I just don't have a HJC head.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I have a HJC RPHA and also a AGV pista carbon ($$$)

I use the HJC on long ride because it's quiet and I don't care to scratch it. I have a sena 20S on it and it's perfect.
My AGV it's just for city driving since it's veryyyy light and a lot of airflow.

• 3 months later...
When I was shopping around for a new bike I purchased the HJC FG-17 helmet. I can't wait to buy my bike. I have finally decided on the bike I want. Now it is just a matter of finding the time to go and pick it up. I am starting to buy all my gear now and get ready for the big day. 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I've been wearing a HJC modular helmet for a few years. The old one was a IS-Max-BT the new is a IS-Max 2

new
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-is-max-2-style-helmet
I like this helmet. It's a bit noisy (many modulars are) but it has good air flow in the helmet. Very important here in hot, humid South Florida. Worth the trade off IMHO

Old

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/134-471?utm_source=none&utm_term=%5B74946199090%3Aproduct_type_l1%3D%3Dvehicles%2520%26%2520parts%26%2520product_type_l2%3D%3Dland%2520vehicles%26%2520product_type_l3%3D%3Dmot&cid=Google+SEARCH+NON-BRAND+PLA+-+Shopping+Campaign&adpos=1o1&creative=42616780450&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiA9JW2BRDxtaq2ruDg22oSJACgtTxcIjf5IjxaOSJ0nZBslCUDrW3dKAiP1vROtXEgPRsA0BoCWn7w_wcB
Just another helmet. Not great, not bad.... Still in good shape after 4 years and almost 50,000 miles.....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 2 months later...
I have the IS-Max 2 as well, in black with High Viz Yellow stripes, and I like it pretty much.
My other HJC is a full face, no sunglasses drop down, but a pinlock shield, and it's served me well, but I ride into the sun far too often, and having the drop down sun glasses are just too nice to live without.

Also a modular is nice to flip up when buying fuel, or in really hot weather, at long stops you can open up, and then ride around in slow traffic with lots of air, but are able to close it down if the speed goes up and you want full protection.

I will say the helmet is shorter in the chin than my other HJC's have been, and that's not cool. I already have 4x helmets to start with, and short chins have me nearly kissing the inside of the chin bar. I'm waiting to see if the liner compresses some, if not, I'm going to go carving some of the memory foam liner to get some extra fore and aft room back. The cheeks are tight too, but it's a new helmet, with less than 100 miles on it yet, and it's much better after just wearing it around the house for a few hours watching TV and doing some light cleaning housework... LOL I'm sure folks would consider me crazy, but hey, you have to break in your boots and gloves by wearing them, same goes for helmets, and a tight fit to start is always better than "just" right out of the box, that's way too loose 1000 miles later.

To me, a helmet that you notice if you just got a hair cut, is just right.

Archived