How to remove the front fender without using ViseGrips.

fredogauvino

Help !
Does any one knows how to remove the front fender ?

I just bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272009349157

And to glue it, I need to remove the front fender.
like this :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Fitting-Your-Carbon-Fibre-Fender-Extender-/10000000012172915/g.html

Maybe Im tired or dumb, but I just can't figure out how to remove the clips that holds the hoses in place, and I am afraid to break them.
3DoXjIU.jpg

Did not find any info on the site either.

Help !

• Premium Member
Help ! Does any one knows how to remove the front fender ?

I just bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272009349157

And to glue it, I need to remove the front fender.
like this :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Fitting-Your-Carbon-Fibre-Fender-Extender-/10000000012172915/g.html

Maybe Im tired or dumb, but I just can't figure out how to remove the clips that holds the hoses in place, and I am afraid to break them.

Did not find any info on the site either.

Help !

They are two halves that overlap. Use a fingernail and pull up on one end. Look close and you will see the ends. It has serrations that keep it on. 

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
4102416.jpg

this should help. Stick a fingernail or small screwdriver and pry up.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

TADA !

Thanks ! That was easier than I though.  8-)
Of course, the tuffest one was the one I tried to remove first.  ::)

Fender extension is glued, and will cure overnight.

I hope that the next time that I ride in rain, it will stop splashing mud & dirt into the radiator.

0NLrGqv.jpg

u4MBGt2.jpg

Thanks again !
Now to reinstall, I will probably have to remove a caliper, because the hose that goes on top of the fender was really tight.

Anyway, that is for tommorow :)

I siliconed the fender, then reinstalled it.
I then started worrying about the fender falling off.
So I took it out again, drilled two holes and put some screws.

Now I can sleep !

I did not ride in rain yet, but this should keep my radiator clean.

PP0XdX5.jpg

• 3 months later...
I am trying to get my front fender off to attach a fender extender. From the above pic it looks like you got the fender off without removing the wheel or the hose clips from the fenders?

I fooled with my fender a bit a bit and didn't see how mine wanted to come out that way.

What is involved in removing the hose clips from the fender?

Thanks for any help, Bill

I am trying to get my front fender off to attach a fender extender. From the above pic it looks like you got the fender off without removing the wheel or the hose clips from the fenders? 

I fooled with my fender a bit a bit and didn't see how mine wanted to come out that way.

What is involved in removing the hose clips from the fender?

Thanks for any help, Bill
The clips have 2 popout prongs that pop out to catch on the inside of the hole.  I used a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze them inward and the clip comes right out of the hole.  Take a good light and look at them and you'll see what I mean. 

• Premium Member
Thanks! 
Now I need to make up my mind if I am going to use rivets and or tape or abs cement to attach extenda
You have to solder it on.  Otherwise Brandon Dis... uhhh.... oops.  Wrong thread.

Mine came with rivets. I am leaning towards using black abs cement and the rivets.  

I used the supplied rivets and a 5/32 drill, it made a perfectly snug hole for the push rivet.  Very satisfactory for me. 

I used black abs cement which worked great and I think is very strong and sealed. But after thinking about it I added the black push rivets that came with it.

Just so I don't have to wonder if I did everything I could to make it as strong as possible (a personal problem)
and I decided it actually looks better with the black rivets. Looks industrial and intentional. I like it.

without the rivets to me it looked like it was just sort of stuck on there as an after thought (which it was).

No need to remove the fender just wedge a bit of wood behind it and take care with the drill , clean fender and glue and pop the black rivets in job done
I agree it's possible.   I'm a bit anal so since it's so easy to get off for me it was worth it. 
That way I could use the existing double sticky tape to really mark where I want things to go with alignment marks on masking tape.  And do dry runs on cement locations and clamping techniques. And remove the existing double sided tape strips before glueing for a better fit and seal.

And after cured and clamps off I sealed the top inner edge under fender with a touch more cement to keep any water from working through anywhere ever (based on other reports).

Once all done I could decide if rivets and where and really make sure the holes were burr free.  All went easy and turned out great looking.

• Premium Member
No need to remove the fender just wedge a bit of wood behind it and take care with the drill , clean fender and glue and pop the black rivets in job done
I agree it's possible.   I'm a bit anal so since it's so easy to get off for me it was worth it. 
That way I could use the existing double sticky tape to really mark where I want things to go with alignment marks on masking tape.  And do dry runs on cement locations and clamping techniques. And remove the existing double sided tape strips before glueing for a better fit and seal.

And after cured and clamps off I sealed the top inner edge under fender with a touch more cement to keep any water from working through anywhere ever (based on other reports).

Once all done I could decide if rivets and where and really make sure the holes were burr free.  All went easy and turned out great looking.

This still gets my vote for best front fender solution. http://fj-09.org/thread/2095/custom-carbon-fiber-front-fender  

Archived