Andreani Questions

docsimple

Howdy y'all,

just received my Andreani cartridges form Omniaracing. Bought them Sunday and they tried to deliver yesterday! So basically three biz days from Italy to Portland, Or. Impressive. and that was about $540 delivered, also fairly impressive.

When I ordered them I sent a couple emails letting them know Im a fat bastard, and Im overweight too :)

They said they would adjust for my weight. The two springs I received are marked 8.3. Does anyone know what this means in 'Merica?

Also on the install guide they show two tools for compressing the springs labeled cod. 1219 and cod. 1224. Anyone have any knowledge of these cod pieces?

Thanks for participating!
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Howdy y'all, 
just received my Andreani cartridges form Omniaracing. Bought them Sunday and they tried to deliver yesterday! So basically three biz days from Italy to Portland, Or. Impressive. and that was about $540 delivered, also fairly impressive.

When I ordered them I sent a couple emails letting them know Im a fat bastard, and Im overweight too :)

They said they would adjust for my weight. The two springs I received are marked 8.3. Does anyone know what this means in 'Merica?

Also on the install guide they show two tools for compressing the springs labeled cod. 1219 and cod. 1224. Anyone have any knowledge of these cod pieces?

Please please please read my install. All questions answered there.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I have read it many times. I found a few pieces missing. My springs are diff than yours and I would like to struggle less on the spring compression. Call me lazy, you woudnt be the first. But I woudl rather save my wrists for twisting throttle :)

Howdy y'all, 

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I have read it many times. I found a few pieces missing. My springs are diff than yours and I would like to struggle less on the spring compression. Call me lazy, you woudnt be the first. But I woudl rather save my wrists for twisting throttle :) 

Mine were 7.8, so 8.3 is definitely stiffer. This is what you want: linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

are you sure about that? Their compatibility list does NOT include our bike. Otherwise 20 bones is a no brainer for me.

this is my fave homemade tool idea so far:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/sport-touring/66545d1271745679-10-home-depot-fork-spring-compressor-fork-spring-tool-009.jpg

also how big are you, and are you happy with your spring rate? Im 200 and add about 20 in gear. Mostly re-adding the data for other people who read this...

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
are you sure about that? Their compatibility list does NOT include our bike. Otherwise 20 bones is a no brainer for me. 
this is my fave homemade tool idea so far:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/sport-touring/66545d1271745679-10-home-depot-fork-spring-compressor-fork-spring-tool-009.jpg

also how big are you, and are you happy with your spring rate? Im 200 and add about 20 in gear. Mostly re-adding the data for other people who read this...

That's what I bought for future use, but never used it. Just looked at the package, almost 200% sure it will work. It just needs to slide over the forks (check, plenty big) and have a small enough piece to screw in the fork spring spacer (check), and must screw in far enough to engage (check). I am 185 and the stock fork springs are light, but work for me. Also the measurement on the springs is N/mm not the normal Kg/mm, so do a conversion. The Race tech fork spring online tool reads high. I would use the Sonic spring tool.  linky
Sonic says you need a .95 kg/mm spring, so the .83 may be a bit light.

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I found a thread where they were sating its in kg/cm which is a simple factor of 10. N/mm is a bit more complicated. I found a Newton calc:
http://www.unitconversion.org/torque/newton-millimeters-to-kilogram-force-millimeters-conversion.html

so basically these 0.846364457 are just ~0.85 springs. I can live with that upfront. I will be light in the back with the 550 spring i have till after the holidays at least, so i can test lighter springs to see if I like. Cant be any worse than stock :)

I emailed Traxxion to ask if the tool is compatible, its probably good but I cant do the install this weekend so I have some time to wait.

Thanks for the feedback. Hard install data and fact checking with someone who has already been there is huge help!
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I dont know the shim sizes but I looked on my package, which looks different from the exiting pictures on the web so far, and it states for rider of 90 KG/ 200lbs. My springs were both 8.3 N/mm and my tops look different than the two install guides (here and FZ-09 place). It appears that they have a spacer at the top which makes me think they have made some changes. I will be emailing the people I purchased form to see if they can verify the differences.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Maybe a pic of the 'changes'? 0.85kg/mm (8.3N/mm) is too low if you're 200lb. No lower than 0.9 and no higher than 0.95.
On my FZ09 (50lb lighter bike) and 235lb rider (my fat ass) I run a 600lb shock spring and 0.9 fork.

The softer the spring the more suspension travel occcurs for a given bump at a given speed which puts more demands on the compression damping which is already known to be a weak spot with the Andreani configuration.

the pic is the one you answered in the adreani install thread. I just finished the install and all went well IE. they fit!

The box they sent is labeled as 90 KB/ 200 lb Rider. I used Belray 7 wt @ 125 mm in the rebound and some 5 wt Spectro Golden in the compression @ 125 mm.

In an FZ09 forum he recommended the 2.5 Redline in the Compression but as that is on order and i had the 5 wt handy I figured I would give it a try.

I see you offer a tuning service for the stockers. Down the road when my wallet recovers from the bike and initial farkle purchases I may send in my stock innards for your super special enabling both sides. I figure the used cartridges should be a break even or so on what I saw you had listed.

However, as 0 miles have been put on the Andreanis I will give it some time to see. They may well perform beyond my skill level anyway. The reviews of the Andreanins had me convinced I was good. It wasnt until I read your tear down that I started to question it. I do some hard and fast backroads riding but Im no pro.

Again, thanks for being willing to help with these questions. I'm handy with a wrench but my knowledge of forks is minimal at best.

And to anyone reading this, get the traxxion tool and have a friend help with the install. If you follow the install guide its easy as cake and pie.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

SO, only a few miles and a few adjustments so far but i am having trouble finding the sweet spot on these. Feeling very pogo-ish right now. Even with everything very dialed down it feels odd. I'm no suspension expert though, and I will need to play some more but a few questions for the community:
1. Is there anything inside the fork/cartridge that I should have set before installing?
2. Any recommendations on setting the preload?
3. Should i move the compression/rebound pin all the way in and then count out turns? There is no click so Im not sure where I am at with them....

thanks
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Preload is set by measuring sag with you onboard. Aim for 40-45mm.

The directions didn't (used to) do a good job of calling it out, but you start by turning the needle all the way out (CCW), then turn it in say 4 turns (you might be able to get 5), THEN you install it on the shaft till it lightly bottoms out, chase the nut upward to the gold part, tighten and then thread cap into fork tube.

If you didn't do that, your needles are probably completely non-functional since they are backed out too far to do any regulating.

Given the design and valving choices Andreani made, start with Comp all the way out (CCW) and Reb 2 turns out from seated. First deal with rebound. You want it as fast as possible without oscillating. Tuning C is more a function of brake stability and test riding it over say washboard/rumble strips and/or hitting the odd non-severe pothole.

Archived