Grippier footpegs?

• Premium Member
Since I'm a short guy I tend to climb on the bike by using the footpeg and swing my foot over while on the peg, especially if the bike is loaded.  Ordinarily this is no big deal as-is, but I've found that if the peg and/or boot is wet it's like ice.  On my last tour it was pouring and the peg was so slippery I slid off every single time and ended up doing the kick-up-then-hop approach, which is not ideal in lots of ways (and looks ridiculous too).

I've poked around some moto shopping sites looking at possible replacements but it's hard to tell what things actually fit well, which are sprung and which are not, and they're expensive enough that I don't want to be shooting in the dark.

I want something with maximum grip.  Jaws-of-death style is fine, although if one has a rubber surface and is still very grippy that would be fine too, I wouldn't mind having a little vibration isolation.

Puig sells one that's very rubberized and is probably great for comfort, but is it any better in the rain? SW-Motech sells something that looks very similar and claims to have removable rubber, and the SW-Motech version clearly pivots, so right now that's top of my "maybe" list ... but $160, and I haven't been able to find a fitment specific to the FJ.

So: Who has replaced their pegs?  With what?  How well did they fit?  Are they sprung or solid?  Any problem with slippage?  Vibration?

I'm interested in any information, even if the pegs don't seem to match my requirements.  Negative information is better than no information!

Thanks everyone!

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
get some Super Tenere ones, as some others here have done. They are great - they have the metal grippy bits but also a rubber section that is hollow. In normal riding you don't put enough weight on the rubber for it to squash. Stand on the pegs and the rubber compresses so you are on the serrated metal part.

I had a S10 for 4 years so have personal experience of using them.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
get some Super Tenere ones, as some others here have done. They are great - they have the metal grippy bits but also a rubber section that is hollow. In normal riding you don't put enough weight on the rubber for it to squash. Stand on the pegs and the rubber compresses so you are on the serrated metal part. 
That sounds pretty good to me.  What year fits?  (Maybe it doesn't matter.) 
Also, BikeBandit doesn't show it being sold as a complete assembly (I looked at 2015).  Each side has peg, rubber, bolt for the rubber, spring pin and cotter pin.  Do I need all of that, or maybe just the peg, rubber, and bolt and reuse the spring and pins on the stock pegs?

Thanks!

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Also, BikeBandit doesn't show it being sold as a complete assembly (I looked at 2015).  Each side has peg, rubber, bolt for the rubber, spring pin and cotter pin.  Do I need all of that, or maybe just the peg, rubber, and bolt and reuse the spring and pins on the stock pegs?

Thanks!

My bike was an early 2010 model. There was an update in 2014 but I don't know if the peg design carried forward. No idea about the rest of it.

See if you can get a used set from someone on http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum

Some have fitted lower peg kits, off road pegs or maybe crashed & written off. It's a busy forum as the bike has quite a niche following.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
My bike was an early 2010 model. There was an update in 2014 but I don't know if the peg design carried forward. No idea about the rest of it. 
See if you can get a used set from someone on http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum
What a great idea, thanks!

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I got standard Yamaha rubber mount pegs used on a lot of their bikes but definitely the fz6 ones listed on eBay. I got it for myself and passenger for a few bucks. The pillion ones I won the auction st .99cent starting price. Very cheap worthwhile upgrade, a triple does vibe a bit at certain rpms but rubber dampens this slight vibe well. Just have a cutting disk and dremell or something to cut the end of the stock peg pin on one side.
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/321918065987
308132e807418ba24b3acf460fae9a97.jpg

These sw motech on/off rd convertible pegs would be good if the make them for our bikes.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-on-road-off-road-footpegs

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
Damn.  I did a whole write-up and then pushed the wrong key and the stupid browser lost it.

I fit the Super Tenere pegs over the last few of weekends.  For my repeat write up, I'll keep it more to the point.

I originally planned to cut down the STen pegs to fit, and then use the FJ springs.  Unfortunately the spring barrel on the STen pegs is too big for the FJ springs to fit.

I then cut off the STen barrel entirely:

2016-05-08%2018_23_11.jpg?m=1463278955

and tried using a spacer that fit the FJ springs.  That didn't work either because there was only 5mm of space for the spring, but the FJ spring is ~6mm wide.

Along the way I ran across these torsion springs on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/072-WG-Torsion-Spring-pieces/dp/B00L1IRTBI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

2016-05-14%2018_19_13.jpg?m=1463278730
2016-05-14%2018_20_16.jpg?m=1463278766

That'll fit the width, but they won't fit around the spacer.  Then I had the brilliant idea that the spring is close enough to the width of the spacer that it should work fine as a spacer.  After all, the pegs don't really need a whole lot of precision in that hinge.

I bent the spring legs such that one went over the top of the peg and the other over the top of the hinge bracket:

2016-05-14%2018_21_10.jpg?m=1463280856

2016-05-14%2018_22_10.jpg?m=1463278734

2016-05-14%2018_21_42.jpg?m=1463278734

2016-05-14%2018_22_22.jpg?m=1463281088

2016-05-14%2018_23_17.jpg?m=1463281153

I spent gobs of time working on different ways to make this work out, but in the end this one is really simple and effective.  All you need is a dremel with some cutting wheels, a pack of those springs, a couple of pair of needle-nose pliers to bend the spring legs into shape, and a replacement clevis/hinge pin for the left side because it's riveted on for some bizarre reason.  The right side pin is a normal clevis pin, so you might consider buying a second right side pin.  (Then again it might not quite fit, the hinge bracket is cast on that side.)

You'll be pleased with the result.  The STen pegs are much, much better.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member

You should try the MT09 Street Rally pegs, they're great. 53€
Huh.  Those are the spitting image of the Super Tenere pegs that I actually used, but I'm guessing they actually fit. 
I never saw those when I was hunting for things, it might be that they're not available in the US.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived