Where to Carry the Hard Luggage Key?

Guest zvez

carry it on the key ring with your house keys and such. I never put the ignition key for a bike on the key ring, invariably will scratch the top triple clamp
I have something like this:http://www.mec.ca/product/5002-937/black-diamond-positron-straight-gate-anodized-biner/?f=10+50001+50262Each motorbike key attaches with a small ring, bigger single ring for all the truck keys, another bigger ring for all the trailer keys, another for house, etc. Detach motorbike key from carabiner, rest of keys stay in pocket. I normally only have house & truck keys on it. When I go riding I take off the truck keys ring, add the moto key.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

My XVZ1200 has nine (9) locks. I always use a single key in the ignition. I carry a spare to open the two glove boxes and the two saddle bags and travel trunk. I like to access some stuff without shutting off the engine. On the other bikes I've started caring a spare on a little keyring with my house key. The key in the ignition is always "naked".
Anson
XS650H
XVZ1200
FJ1200

GSOrider:  Nice to know on the keying.  I carry the bag key in the bags when riding. Take out at restaurants and over night. I like to be able to open the bags w/o using the ignition key. Doing it this way you don't have to have matching keys.  (but it is good incase you loose one)  Here are a couple ideas: one, get a short key for the bags. They only use 5 of the wafers, vs. the ign. key using 8 or more.  Two, go to radio shack and get a knob with set screw, cut head off key, insert and tighten set screw, ride with it in the key slot.
Sawed off key stuck in Radio Shack knob.XhM04CC.jpg?1Sawed off key stuck in Radio Shack knob.4BfZFSl.jpg?1Shorten key blank cut with only 5 tumblers.pVl9Bns.jpg?1Shorten key with head cut off and key ring.pGJA8KA.jpg?1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
GSOrider:  Nice to know on the keying.  I carry the bag key in the bags when riding. Take out at restaurants and over night. I like to be able to open the bags w/o using the ignition key. Doing it this way you don't have to have matching keys.  (but it is good incase you loose one)  Here are a couple ideas: one, get a short key for the bags. They only use 5 of the wafers, vs. the ign. key using 8 or more.  Two, go to radio shack and get a knob with set screw, cut head off key, insert and tighten set screw, ride with it in the key slot. Sawed off key stuck in Radio Shack knob.XhM04CC.jpg?1Sawed off key stuck in Radio Shack knob.
Shorten key blank cut with only 5 tumblers.
Shorten key with head cut off and key ring.

Nice mod. I saw this on the FJR forum, must have been you.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

The key in a plastic knob is not mine. I copied it from Facebook, FJR Group. The other two are in use on my FJR and FJ currently and have been since day one when I bent a key.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived