trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd while doing wheelies

anyone else have that issue?  while doing clutchless power wheelies, sometimes it simply will not shift from 2nd to 3rd.  or even under heavy acceleration.

and yes, off throttle and all that stuff. i'm not a noob.  

at first, i thought i wasn't being positive enough on the shifter (i normally run reverse shift, but my fj is still standard). i even lowered the shifter position a little bit so that my upshifts would be more positive...  

i've never owned a bike that is as clunky as this one in the tranny.  

anyone else have that issue?  while doing clutchless power wheelies, sometimes it simply will not shift from 2nd to 3rd.  or even under heavy acceleration. 
and yes, off throttle and all that stuff. i'm not a noob.  

at first, i thought i wasn't being positive enough on the shifter (i normally run reverse shift, but my fj is still standard). i even lowered the shifter position a little bit so that my upshifts would be more positive...  

i've never owned a bike that is as clunky as this one in the tranny.  

35.png

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
This has been asked before. Most likely your foot is still loading the shift lever slightly after your initial upshift from 1st-to-2nd. This prevents the next upshift.

Adjust the shift lever up a little and Bob's your uncle. I know this sounds like an impossibly simple fix, but it has already worked for many of us.

This has been asked before. Most likely your foot is still loading the shift lever slightly after your initial upshift from 1st-to-2nd. This prevents the next upshift. 
Adjust the shift lever up a little and Bob's your uncle. I know this sounds like an impossibly simple fix, but it has already worked for many of us.
+1 adjusting the shifter up made clutch less shifts (and clutched shifts) much more smooth for me. I've not tried it during wheelies, but I imagine the same laws of physics apply.

• Premium Member
+1 adjusting the shifter up made clutch less shifts (and clutched shifts) much more smooth for me. I've not tried it during wheelies, but I imagine the same laws of physics apply.
+2 - Also change to full synthetic on next oil change for a big difference. 

I'm not preloading the shifter, I'm 1000000% positive on that. I even took my foot off the peg completely to be certain. :) 
Also, I am running full synthetic. :)
I think it has something to do with the angle instead of the preloading.

• Premium Member
I'm not preloading the shifter, I'm 1000000% positive on that. I even took my foot off the peg completely to be certain. :) 
Yeah, I was about that certain it wasn't me, too. Just give the lever adjustment a try and see what happens. It's free and takes about two minutes.

Is the chain getting tight when you wheelie? Tried slackening it off?

The chain wasn't right from the dealer. Before I even had one mile on the bike, I'd already gone through everything, including slacking the chain properly.

I did it again at 1500 miles (once the chain for fully broken in). And again at 5000 miles.

The chain is good.

Yeah, I was about that certain it wasn't me, too. Just give the lever adjustment a try and see what happens. It's free and takes about two minutes.

I wear size 48 boots. :) I actually lowered the position of the shifter, as it was far too high stock.

I wear size 48 boots. :) I actually lowered the position of the shifter, as it was far too high stock.
Huh. Size 48 here too, and I had to raise it for better function.

Interesting. On my track bikes, I've raised the shifters...but that's because I wanted a more positive upshift (running reverse shift).

Archived