Michelin PR4 Standard or GT tire replacement

Forgot to mention this, but my rear Roadtec is the heavy weight version HWT while front is the standard roadtec. I do more than 24K miles a year, so if I had to change tires every 5K miles, that would be depressing lol and an inconvenience. I ride irrespective of road, weather, whats happening in the world...so on and so forth and on the FJ it is exhilarating every second. /thumbsup I ride other ones when in a more genteel mood. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
There are differences in measurements between manufacturers. There's generally a 5% leeway on the measurement as well, so a 140 width tire could be 142mm from one manufacturer and 135mm from another and both marked as a 140. In the automotive tire world, there can also be some variance in how they take the measurement. IE: usable tread width measurement vs. measuring the width of the tire at its widest points (sidewall ballooning after inflation).

I'm not sure how much variance in measuring practices effect motorcycle manufacturers, but I believe the common measurement is in the cross section by measuring the widest point on the exterior of the side wall to the widest point of the interior of the opposite sidewall. This would also leave some variation in actual width depending on the tire construction.

Archived