Michelin PR4 Standard or GT tire replacement

I wouldn't think so, is it possible that the roundness of the tires is throwing you?
They are narrower.  Fact.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Redfjniner, mind if I ask how many miles you have on the FJR after 26 sets of tires?!!!
That is on two FJR's, 220,000 miles over the last 11 years.  Not riding it much since I got the FJ with only 4,000 as compared to the 38,000 on the FJ.  Riding the FJR now as the FJ is getting repaired after the deer strike.

Redfjniner, mind if I ask how many miles you have on the FJR after 26 sets of tires?!!!
That is on two FJR's, 220,000 miles over the last 11 years.  Not riding it much since I got the FJ with only 4,000 as compared to the 38,000 on the FJ.  Riding the FJR now as the FJ is getting repaired after the deer strike.
That's a lot of riding, I am jealous. I had about 60,000 on an FZ1 over a little over five years, but not matching up to what you're doing! Glad you didn't get hurt any worse with the deer. 

• 2 weeks later...
Bridgestone BT 30 Evo (Non-GT) are the way to go front and back. Dunlop must have one hell of a contract to get their tires stock on so many vehicles and in my opinion they are not the best. When my stock rear tire goes I will replace front and back with the BT 30's. After 9300 KM and my recent road trip the rear is starting to noticeably square off, so it wont be too long now.

Bridgestone BT 30 Evo (Non-GT) are the way to go front and back. Dunlop must have one hell of a contract to get their tires stock on so many vehicles and in my opinion they are not the best. When my stock rear tire goes I will replace front and back with the BT 30's. After 9300 KM and my recent road trip the rear is starting to noticeably square off, so it wont be too long now.
Agree, great tires. Just don't buy the GT's! Designed for heavier sport-touring bikes and the tire has a really stiff sidewall. Made this mistake on the (now departed) VFR750 and had to run the rear tire at 34-35psi to keep the ride from being too brutal. 

Also, it looks like I can get two rears for one front.   I haven't been able to do that with the Michelins or the Dunlops.  The T30's are also very good in the wet, but not quite as good as the Michelins. 

Do I understand you to be saying that you're getting 10k from a rear and 20k from a front T30? 
SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

Also, it looks like I can get two rears for one front.   I haven't been able to do that with the Michelins or the Dunlops.  The T30's are also very good in the wet, but not quite as good as the Michelins. 

Do I understand you to be saying that you're getting 10k from a rear and 20k from a front T30?
I retract that statement.  It may look like I can get two rears to one front, but I most likely won't actually do that.  Now, it will be next year before I can actually run them out to actually determine that.  

No problem. I've been unable to get more than about 6.5k mi on a rear T30, but can get about 8.5-9k with the PR4 on my FJR so that is my favorite overall rear tire. I just bought 2 sets of the T30s since Bridgestone has a $50 per set rebate going on but once they are done it's back to the PR4 rear/T30 front combo.
SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Anyone tried the METZELER ROADTEC 01

http://www.sportrider.com/metzeler-roadtec-01-first-look

http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/products/tyres-catalogue/Roadtec-01.html

Less expensive than the PR4 but about +$50 than the T30, about $303 for the pair.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/750/62735/Metzeler-Roadtec-01-Rear-Tire

I love my Metzler Roadtec set. Way better than stock (in rain and on twisties). Only issue is that the rear started to wear off rather quickly when I took at long trip (2800miles). My rear needs replaced as it is near the wear bars in the middle of the tire (due to trip). I have 5.7K on both. The front can probably go another 5K so I will just replace the rear with another Roadtec 01 this winter.

• Premium Member
I love my Metzler Roadtec set. Way better than stock (in rain and on twisties). Only issue is that the rear started to wear off rather quickly when I took at long trip (2800miles). My rear needs replaced as it is near the wear bars in the middle of the tire (due to trip). I have 5.7K on both. The front can probably go another 5K so I will just replace the rear with another Roadtec 01 this winter. 

5,700 miles is disappointing.  On my VTR which weighs a bit less, puts down about the same ponies and 10+ pounds of torque, I get 10,000+miles from the Avon Storm 2 Ultra and the Mich PR4, so half that from the Roadtec 01 is really abysmal. 
Thanks but your Metzler is misspelled (Metzeler)

Anyone else have experience with the 01??? 

• Premium Member

5,700 miles is disappointing.  On my VTR which weighs a bit less, puts down about the same ponies and 10+ pounds of torque, I get 10,000+miles from the Avon Storm 2 Ultra and the Mich PR4, so half that from the Roadtec 01 is really abysmal. 
Thanks but your Metzler is misspelled (Metzeler)

Anyone else have experience with the 01??? 

I'm on my second set of Avon Storm 2 - a great tyre. Cheaper than PR4 by 30% and the first set was replaced after around 8000 miles. They may have lasted a bit longer but I was off on a trip so wanted to ensure I had tyres to last. I'll stick with the Avons for as long as they have the price differential as they represent great value and work well in all conditions, even at near 0C temperatures on wet roads this AM on my commute.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I got the metzeler roadtec 01s when they had a $50 promotion running. Have about 11K miles on them so far. Still holds a line pretty good. Haven't felt a lack of confidence in any condition yet. Probably got another 3 or 4K on the rear. Front should last more than that, but I always change together. Tire pressures are 39psi back and 35psi front checked weekly. Daily load on the bike is probably around 270 lbs.

I will be getting these again. Keeps my confidence and feel high.

My front Roadtec 01 was done at 6 k miles. Loved it when new but too much quick twisty road riding ate the sides off causing frightening handling characteristics. Longest rear tire has lasted me 5 k (PR4). I think I would be sad if I was getting 11k miles out of a tire cuz it would mean I was riding boring ass roads. I live an hour and a half from the Dragon in NC but have only been there once in the last two years cuz the rest of the roads around here are so awesome. Very fortunate to live here. I'll take the tire cost penalty any day. ?

Archived