Frogg Toggs

Anyone use these? I bought some overpants as a quick way to stay dry on the way to work and they seem ok.... but the material is very odd. Like something you would get with a re-usable shopping bag. 

I was wondering if there is any real world testing on this product?
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Anyone use these? I bought some overpants as a quick way to stay dry on the way to work and they seem ok.... but the material is very odd. Like something you would get with a re-usable shopping bag.  
I was wondering if there is any real world testing on this product?
Used to do a 40 mile round trip commute on a DL1000 with these in rainy conditions. They flapped around a bit, but kept me dry. Haven't tried them on the FJ, but still have them, and they are still serviceable.  

if you are near a gander mountain, they carry a motorcycle line of frogg toggs. best rain pants ive ever had. they are thicker than the other ones and they have long zippers and the elastic piece that goes under your boots. i wear them on cold mornings for a wind breaker cause they are easy to take off. i have a jacket made of the weird material to but it doesnt flap around much when its over the riding jacket. my first set of frogg toggs lasted many years. this is my second set, so two thumbs up

• Premium Member
I've been using the Road Toad series for years, with good results. Many miles & rain storms in them over my normal gear and stayed dry. They pack very small and just work. I like them. Lighter & much more breathable than traditional rain gear.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

I used these in the rain a couple times on the FJ.  When i first got them i thought no way this will help, but they did keep me dry.  hey feel like paper, and the fitting is really odd and baggy.  I used it in conjunction with a thor waterproof clear jacket, which was one of the cheapest combo's I could get off Revzilla at the time.  That works well too, but has no breath-ability and the zipper is cheapy plastic.  I actually got wet in my armpits where there is some venting with that, and my boots and bottom of my pants got wet from spray.  
I was on a trip for work actually and got caught in what was left from a hurricane/tropical storm.  I was in Ohio so not even close to still a tropical storm, but the worst rain i've ridden in for sure.  I have to say i was surprised how dry i stayed in general.  

wore the pants to work today. Pretty dry out so didn't really get to test them but they seem functional. Considering the number of more expensive rain pants I have destroyed these seem a bargain even if they only get a season per pair.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
OK... so not to derail this thread, but let me say a few things:

Rain gear is a tricky subject. VERY tricky. I've been riding bikes for 35 years. I've been getting wet for 35 years. I'm not claiming to be the expert, but I have some experience I can share.

Rain gear is funny stuff. The most important point I want to make is you must wear it correctly. There is a right way to wear it, and a wrong way. You have to know HOW it should be worn for maximum effectiveness. I've worn it the right way and ridden through hurricane conditions & stayed dry. I've worn it the wrong way and got soaked in very light rain. Understanding how water flows, and proper layering is the key. DON'T tuck pants into boots. Etc.

That said, I've owned all sorts of rain gear in the past ~3 decades, and I feel the Frogg Toggs are good stuff. Perfect? No. But GOOD. The worst stuff I ever wore was solid rubber suits & that sh*t cooked you alive. Even if you didn't get wet, you roasted in it and sweated so bad, you were better off not wearing gear. The beauty of the FT gear is they breathe. Like Gore-Tex, they shed water and allow airflow. So rather than roasting you get airflow through to stay cool and dry.

Do they leak? Well, even the pricey Aerostich suits leak; Google the wet crotch issue with Stich gear and you'll find plenty of complaints. The Frogg Toggs cost much less than most rain gear and are very effective. Sure, some people have had issues, but the cheapo set I bought have been leak-free for years, and I assure you (ask my fellow riders), I have ridden through some ugly storms and rain, and the FTRT have kept me dry. The only leaks I have had were down the back of my helmet, and that was not the FT being faulty, just the fact that I decided to be dumb enough to ride through torrential downpours that would float a car off. :P

I'm not a fanboy nor do I endorse stuff. I only praise products I've been happy with. And I have been very happy with Frogg Togg stuff since I bought it. It works, and I don't die in my own sweat wearing it. It's decent stuff, and it packs real neat in a bag, so I never have an excuse for not carrying raingear. For the cheap price, it's worth a try IMO. My 2 cents. :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived