Hey, everybody

davesax36

I'm in the process of deciding what my next bike will be. I'm prepping to take another trip to Newfoundland. I went last year on my V-Max (old one). It worked just fine, but I'd like something a bit more compliant with some of those bumpier roads. I know this thing's not designed for big offroading adventure stuff, but whatever. I'm looking for fun in general with the ability to eat up a ton of miles when needed. 

Right now I'm up in the air between this and the V-Strom 1k. Any help with the decision is welcomed.

Dave

I'm in the process of deciding what my next bike will be. I'm prepping to take another trip to Newfoundland. I went last year on my V-Max (old one). It worked just fine, but I'd like something a bit more compliant with some of those bumpier roads. I know this thing's not designed for big offroading adventure stuff, but whatever. I'm looking for fun in general with the ability to eat up a ton of miles when needed.  
Right now I'm up in the air between this and the V-Strom 1k. Any help with the decision is welcomed.

Dave
As has been stated on other similar posts, this is the FJ-09 forum, what bike do you think will be recommended?  8) I never even considered the V-Strom or the Versys.  Just the extra weight alone kept them out of contention.  And they don't have "that" motor.  The CP3 is a giggle factory.   Everything else is just icing.
There are a couple of threads from people who did consider and compare those other "contenders".  So look those up if you need further convincing.  Good luck with whatever you purchase, but you'll find the FJ to be much more fun than the V-Storm.

there are a lot of these threads already but I will say if you are looking at seriously bad roads both these bikes will want a better suspension. I suspect the V will be more complaint on terrible roads. As fzkenm said the motor and weight of the FJ is almost untouchable.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Simple - have an FJ09 and another bike more suited to the types of road you will see for the Newfoundland trip.

There has been a lot of hoo-hah over her in the UK as the first Africa Twins arrived this month so I went to have a test ride. I would love to have that more compliant suspension for some of the roads I ride in the UK (Cotswolds & Brecon Beacons especially) and when on holiday in the lumpier parts of Europe.

That's probably only 10% of the time though and the Tracer/FJ09 is great in general, especially the sub 200kg weight and triple motor.

I could follow my own advice as I have the disposable income and garage space for a 2nd bike but I choose not to, as the Tracer does it for me as a fun if flawed on occasion, bike.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

The FJ is billed as a super sport tourer. It will be happiest anywhere you would take a super sport bike. It can carry a little bit along the way and has ergonomics more geared toward touring. It is very light weight, and along with that, has light weight metals near the underside, especially the oil pan. It is a blast to ride with addictive acceleration, quick handling and a grin per mile rating that's through the roof.

Do you get the feeling I am describing an adventure bike? Didn't think so. Just because it shares similar ergonomics as the adventure bikes does not mean it's built for off roading. Small bumps it can handle, but I'd still go by the adage, if you wouldn't take a super sport there, it's probably not going to be all that fun on an FJ.

Archived