Is there a way to disable traction control?

• Premium Member
I am starting to get annoyed with the wheelie control during fast take offs and aggressive corner exits. Part of the fun of riding a motorbike is getting those little wheelies here and there, right? That throttle cutting, rev limiter feature feels kind of sickly when you really want to cut loose a little bit.

I know that I can push the TCS button while stopped to disable, but it defaults back to on after every start of the motor. I'm wondering if there is a plug, or fuse or something that would leave it off for an extended period. Wiring in a toggle switch would be ideal. I don't want to kill TCS permanently, just on certain days on occasion.

Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

I *think* this is controlled by the ECU programming and you'd need a re-flash to change the behavior. No biggie, 5 extra seconds every time you start the motah is not much of a hassle, IMHO...
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• 1 month later...
This irritates me as well. Having to stop before a wheelie is stupid. I don't want TCS off all the time, but when I do I don't want to stop. I was talking with a shopowner/mechanic friend about this today. His idea was to put an inline switch on the speed sensor wire. Hit the switch, effectively telling the ECU that the bike is stopped, then turn off TCS, then switch the speed sensor back on so the speedo works again. Sounds like it could work. I'll probably have him try it.

This irritates me as well. Having to stop before a wheelie is stupid. I don't want TCS off all the time, but when I do I don't want to stop. I was talking with a shopowner/mechanic friend about this today. His idea was to put an inline switch on the speed sensor wire. Hit the switch, effectively telling the ECU that the bike is stopped, then turn off TCS, then switch the speed sensor back on so the speedo works again. Sounds like it could work. I'll probably have him try it.
Please let us know if this switch does the trick.  It sounds like a great idea, especially if it doesn't throw up any error codes.  I too would like to be able to disable TCS on the fly.  I asked about it with my reflash but it turns out that this is not currently offered by Flashtune.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• 5 months later...
I haven't tried it yet, but my latest idea is to put a rocker switch on the knockout plate on the left handlebar switch that both turns off the power to the speed sensor and turns the TCS off in one fell swoop. I'll be talking to my tech about it in weeks to come. If I go for it I'll report back.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just started noticing that on every heavy acceleration from stop or quick start with a turn the traction control light flashes. I mean every time... Is this normal? I'm not a psycho rider and I'm talking maybe 70% power on takeoff.

I've just started noticing that on every heavy acceleration from stop or quick start with a turn the traction control light flashes. I mean every time... Is this normal? I'm not a psycho rider and I'm talking maybe 70% power on takeoff.
Wouldn't be able to tell you if it's normal, because I don't think I ever accelerate heavily from a stop into a turn. Can you give an example? It's certainly not normal for 70% acceleration in a straight line.

Try cleaning the speed sensor like below 

Jul 21, 2016 4:42:22 GMT -5 skydvrd said: My 2015 FJ had what appeared to be a traction control issues the other day. Pulling off at low speed, TCS engaged, chopping the throttle. The ABS light came on and left me with no front brake. Shut off and tried again, no change. Disabled TCS and rode home no problem. Next morning, same thing except I had code 069 on the display. Thanks to the forum, I discovered that's a front speed sensor issue. Found a post with pictures of the sensor (thanks again forum) and went to have a look. Removed sensor from housing, removed some debris from the end and wiped off the disk. Replaced everything and started up. No more TCS issues, all warning lights off, code cleared! Cancelled appointment with service department.
Anyone else experience this?

Excellent info, I turned off TC on the way home about 30 miles and it rode great, like new. I then pulled to 2 sensors, the front was clean the back was somewhat dirty. Cleaned them both, rode it again and it seemed to be better but it is still lighting up about 30% of the time on take off. And yes, oddly enough, it does happen on turns, and in 2nd gear. 

Excellent info, I turned off TC on the way home about 30 miles and it rode great, like new. I then pulled to 2 sensors, the front was clean the back was somewhat dirty. Cleaned them both, rode it again and it seemed to be better but it is still lighting up about 30% of the time on take off. And yes, oddly enough, it does happen on turns, and in 2nd gear. 
Are you getting any error codes on the display or any weird readings or flashing of the TC light? Did you have a flash on the ECU? 

Well, its all good, went to the dealer, said it was probably because of the colder temps. However, for the last few days it looked to me like the rear tire was "a little low". Tried to check the pressure and it would not register anything. Put air in it, nothing, put more in it. 10psi. This went on for a bit till I had 38 psi. I have no idea how it got that low in 2k miles since I had my 4k mile service check. I poured water on it to see if any air was leaking, could not find anything
Anyway, guess ill keep a better eye on it. 
Joe

Dude! That nanny system just could have saved your butt. Low tire, cold weather... High side or low side was in your Karma.

I love that this bike keeps my agressive nature in check, it has saved my butt countless times, and I now depend on it to do that... Bad karma on my part I know.. but it's like anything in life, you push boundries right? LOL

Years ago, on previous bikes, I'd have just slid out into a low side... Over corrected and then high sided or worse, ended up under a vehicle wondering how that just happened? And why am I still alive? LOL (And knowing that when the scare wears off.. it's really going to hurt.)

• 3 years later...