Lean angle questions

I have some questions about the listed lean angle of the fj-09/mt-09 tracer. It's said to have 51° of lean angle. The fz-09/mt-09 is also said to have 51° of lean angle. My understanding is both the FZ-09 and the fj-09 have the same frame and rear sets, but the fj-09 has a center stand and longer footpeg feelers to compensate for the center stand.My questions are...... Does the fj-09 have 51° the same as the FZ-09 lean angle? And does the 51° mean when or just before the footpeg feelers touch down?

I am assuming that the taller ride height on the FJ is to compensate for the center stand so that the lean angles remain the same for both bikes. Longer peg feelers are also needed to compensate for the center stand.

I don't think the bikes footpegs are higher off the ground than the fz09. I know the seat is higher but cornering clearance has mostly to do with engine width and footpeg height.
Plus wouldn't advertised lean angle be with the center stand?

• Premium Member
I thought the tail and the swingarm were different on the FZ? Also who cares about lean angle? Just go ride it. It's not a track bike.
Exactly - there is no need to worry about numbers. I don't recall anyone disagreeing with my real world experience in that the ground clearance for leaning into corners is more than adequate for road riding.

This doesn't apply to the Tracer/FJ09 but anyone that watches MotoGP will see Marc Marquez do everything he can to keep the bike as upright as possible when cornering. That may mean spinning or sliding the rear wheel or hanging off like a gibbon so that his elbows or shoulders are scraping the floor. Or all of the above

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I thought the tail and the swingarm were different on the FZ? Also who cares about lean angle? Just go ride it. It's not a track bike.

Well the subframe is different than the fz's but the swingarm is the same. I'm not so worried about "numbers" to be happy with my motorcycles. I am just wondering how they determine the lean angles considering both the fj and fz heck and r6 have supposedly the same lean angle. Yet the fz and r6 don't have a center stand and extra long pavement feelers.

I replaced my pegs with FJR style so no long feelers. Center Stand still installed.

Nothing has touched down yet with zero chicken strip on rear and small one on the front tire.

Unless you're one of the Moto GP aliens I think you'll be fine. I do get my butt of the seat when riding with my younger friends.

As always YMMV :-)

• 3 weeks later...
I've had the bike low enough to scrape the GIVI cage and still not kneedown, this is after removing the centre stand and peg feelers with suspension set to the stiff side.

They're not built for tracking but they definitely hold their own lol.

Although the bike does share the same optimal lean angle as the R6, the suspension leaves much to be desired and the rebound phucks the lean.

Rearset height doesn't help either.

http://imgur.com/a/dckV0

• 2 years later...
Lean angle is quite poor ...

FB_IMG_1534196400514.jpg

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

I encourage anybody to read Total Control by Lee Parks.

Body positioning has allot to do with lean angle needed. I see arguments about people dragging a knee on the street all the time on the internet. While I don't drag a knee I get off the bike allot after reading this book. I have had people comment that I must think I am in MotoGp... but the truth is that it is a safer way to ride. It keeps your bike more up right with a greater contact patch.

I unintentionally tested this on HWY 36 one trip. I had been practicing the techniques learned in the book and had new tires on the bike. I am not ashamed of rocking some chicken strips, but I was sure that after going one way on HWY36 at a pretty good clip they would be gone. Nope! I still had a good 1/4" left. This was on a Ninja 300 BTW.

On my return trip I was exhausted. I took it allot slower and was not getting off the bike hardly at all. Guess what? When I got back to camp... no chicken strips! So the truth is I was riding safer even though I was going faster and looking like a poser gp rider.

I recently watched a comparison video of the Fj and Tiger from some German (I think) site. One of the riders was scrapping his pegs around the corner like the picture above. However his body was leaned in the opposite direction than it should have been. Clearly he was just trying to get a peg down. I didn't want to flame the guy on his youtube page but I was close to commenting because nobody else had and its just plain stupid.

Anyway my point is that you can gain allot of lean angle by getting off the bike a bit. Technique and form are important to not upset the bike so I recommend reading Total Control or one of the other books that apply racing techniques to the street. It helped me allot. It's not just about going faster it's about being safe and building confidence.

• Premium Member
I don't lean off the side of my bike
I don't try to scrape my foot pegs
I don't worry about chicken strips
I just ride and have fun.........

I don't lean off the side of my bike I don't try to scrape my foot pegs
I don't worry about chicken strips
I just ride and have fun.........
I do lean off my bike
I haven't scraped pegs much since my Harley days... because I lean off my bike.
I don't "worry" about chicken strips either but I do take note of them from time to time. But as I said in my pervious post they do not indicate that you're going any faster just that you are leaning your bike more. 
I also ride and have fun, that is what it's all about right?

I wasn't saying a person needs to lean off their bike, just that it will reduce lean angle and help keep you from scraping things on the ground. I have fun learning new riding techniques and trying to improve my riding skills. I am not leaning off my bike everywhere I go just when I am having fun in the tight twisty stuff. You can carry the same speed with less lean angle which is safer. 

Throw away the feelers, trim the center stand bumper as far as you can so it will tuck up farther and have fun. I’ve done this and rarely drag anything going quite quickly. This bike has all the clearance you could ever use on the street with a couple if simple changes.

Throw away the feelers, trim the center stand bumper as far as you can so it will tuck up farther and have fun. I’ve done this and rarely drag anything going quite quickly. This bike has all the clearance you could ever use on the street with a couple if simple changes.

Archived