Fork cartridge recommendations ...Andreani / Matris / other?

zine

I'm looking to upgrade the forks on my yamaha tracer, and been given conflicting reports on the benifits of various upgrades?

Whilst I could bite the bullet and purchase a £1k Ohlins fork cartridge, I'm of the opinion its an overkill for my needs, given i'll not been doing track days on it (leave that to the gsxr).

I've narrowed my choices to either the Andreani @ £480 fitted, or Matris @ £700.

Has anyone had previousl experience with either of these manufacturers, particularly the Martis? Is it necessary to spend big?

I'll either be dropping in a Nitron R1 or Matris rear shock, and having the bike properly set up.

Recommend the Matris combo. The fit/finish on the Matris is a significant step up from Andreani. I haven't seen the Matris F12 in person yet but I would guess it's a 4-piston setup (the F15 for the FZ07 is) unlike the Andreani which is 2-piston and the limits on that config rear their head on anything less than smooth road.

I would listen to what Matt said....

-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Thanks guys for the response, and advise.

I've contacted a number of local suspension installers, and received conflicting advise? I could be wrong, but I suspect they are trying to push their suppliers products?

I'm not familiar with either Andreani, or Matris and is it difficult to find detailed product reviews (loads on Ohlin's), and the information I do find isn't clear?
I can't locate any details about the piston set-up, but will post details once I have confirmation.

Based on your recommendations, I'll commit to the Matris F12S and Matris M46KD rear shock.

I'll do a 'install' and product review, when they arrive!

really interested in what you think of the Matris. I have the Andreani's and I am very unhappy with the results. To be clear, they are better than the stock, just wish I had applied that money to something else as they are not that much better than the stock. I bet springs in the stock would have been about the same.

I have read bad things about the ohlin's, which shocks me ( (rofl) ) and the Traxxion are supposedly great. I have the Matris falls on this spectrum, but closer to the Traxxion
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
really interested in what you think of the Matris. I have the Andreani's and I am very unhappy with the results. To be clear, they are better than the stock, just wish I had applied that money to something else as they are not that much better than the stock. I bet springs in the stock would have been about the same. 
I have read bad things about the ohlin's, which shocks me ( (rofl) ) and the Traxxion are supposedly great. I have the Matris falls on this spectrum, but closer to the Traxxion
Tell me your sag number, your weight (if you dare) and I will offer what has been working great for me. I found that the rebound set to stiff caused problems on ripple bumps (packing). I am using 3 turns out from full in and it works great. Way better than stock for me, way better.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

i need to do the sag measuring, but I installed as directed from Andreani and with help from pattonme. I was farting around with the suspension after changing the shock spring and have significantly improved the feel. I am trying to split the plush/racing style setup but it seems to have no middle. Either mush or hard like it's track day.

And I'm 5' 10" at a svelte 200 lbs  ;)

I know you have expressed your satisfaction with them a few times. While I am no expert at suspension I have setup and adjusted 4 bikes that I owned. I never had trouble dialing t hem in like I have with the Andreani's. I may well sell them and go with the pattonme stocker upgrades. But thats down the road. I am trying to get ready for a trip and money is flying out the window right now.

All that nonsense being said, I will never turn down free advice. You may well have the secret to getting it right.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I have the Race Tech on order using .95 springs. They have me using 5 weight oil whereas my previous Race Tech on an F800ST used 15 weight. Have my fingers crossed on the project. Won't be able to report on the results for a couple of months, after the snow is gone etc. Anyone got comments on the Race Tech?

The springs were the main thing I'm after. Also hoping that the damping can be improved, but only cautiously optimistic on this point. The springs are .95, which seems to agree with the other posts on this subject. The valuing product is FMGV S2050C which I believe will be gold valve with improved compression. Don't really know what beyond that. Thanks for your response pattonme !

PS:  The install will be done in my garage or basement depending on the temperatures  :)

Surprised to your dissatisfaction with the results of the Andreani. 

I've seen people state the standard suspension is 'dangerous', which is an over exaggeration in my option. I commute everyday (through rain, hail, ice and sunshine) and go on spirited Sunday blasts, and I've never felt unsafe ... 

I've seen a few people install the Matris, and seemed satisfied with the end result. The choice of cartridges in the UK are not as vast as in the US, though this is slowly improving, but currently the Matris seems to offer best 'bang for the buck'!

The only other option around the same price is from Maxton Engineering, but the specs are not as impressive as the Matris, as they still use the standard Tracer fork caps (only one adjuster?)

Bitubo ECH 29 Gas cartridges are the next step up, but nearing the £1k mark again ... Ohlin's territory.

Race tech & k-tech seems too track focus for my needs.

I was to get the Nitron rear shock, but in my mine, it seems sensible to stay with one brand which will hopefully complement each other?!

Archived