Drain bolt not tightening

kamalv

Don't know if this is something common, or I just screwed up(quite literally). 

At 8K miles and doing my fourth oil change(did an extra one before 500 miles), when I took out the drain bolt I noticed strips of metal between the grooves. Mind you, I don't tighten the bolt anywhere close to yamaha specified torques(that spec is way too tight imo). I didn't think much of it, but when I put the bolt back with a new washer, it wouldn't tighten at the end. Just keeps spinning. Ugh!

If anyone has faced this before, please tell me what you did...Thanks!

That happened to me also. The drain bolt stripped the threading on oil pan. I thought maybe it would still hold little looser? Nope it leaks. Thought I was gonna have to replace the whole oil pan. Luckily my local motorcycle mechanic was able to re thread the oil drain pan. Charged me 75 dlls. for repair. Has been over 2500 miles since repair and no oil leak at all. Just have to be more careful on my next oil change I think. We'll see? Oh and I also had the metal come off my bolt so it has to be that. Good luck mate!

• Premium Member
This is exactly what I did a couple weeks ago. I didn't think I was near over tightening - but stripped just like you described. I went ahead and upgraded to the new oil pan.

Be cautious on this drain plug because those threads are soft!!!!  >:D>:D>:D

Can you re-thread it, using an oversized bolt? 
pt8910m.jpg

be careful with the bolt you showed in the picture.  I assume you would still use the standard bolt with that one.  The drain bolt is already the lowest point on this bike.  You don't want to make it any lower. I personally would take it as an excuse to switch to the new style oil pan.

Guest bruinfj09guy
I went with the Time-Sert kit when mine stripped. There have been a few threads on this issue.
Size is M14 x 1.5. About $130 on Amazon.

The new pan is not a bad idea and probably not much more money (more labor intensive, though). I like that I now have steel threads in my pan.  :)

• Premium Member
There have been a few threads on this issue.
Intended pun? :D 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I went with the Time-Sert kit when mine stripped. There have been a few threads on this issue. Size is M14 x 1.5. About $130 on Amazon.

The new pan is not a bad idea and probably not much more money (more labor intensive, though). I like that I now have steel threads in my pan.  :)
New pan's about $120 at mrcycles.com. Gasket is about $12, but I could have reused the old one with only 5k miles on my bike. Time to swap pans was about 3 hours but I'm no mechanic.  To make dropping the exhaust easier I opted to remove the centerstand (that spring's a mutha)..  I'm glad I did the swap for not much more than the price of re-thread kit. 

Archived