Penske 8983 & GP Piston Fork Kit

badger

Over the winter I upgraded the suspension in my FJ with Penske 8983 double-clicker shock and re-did the fork internals with the GP Suspension piston kit / revalve / resprung.  Unfortunately, living in Wisconsin, today was the first time I had the opportunity to take the bike for a ride (rode into work, mostly interstate, 25 miles each way).
What I can say is MONEY WELL SPENT!!! Now, this was just a commute into work, but wow what a difference. The bike now feels taught, but very controlled and compliant. Never once did I have a kidney-busting moment from a sharp edged bump, and you really feel the road now. And when you take a bump, the bike reacts and settles immediately. There is seems to be less suspension travel now, but that may be due to having proper, non-progressive springs.  And much less initial fork dive when braking.
I anguished a little on what to do with the forks, and kind of compromised a little figuring that if I still wasn't happy I could have the ForksByMatt treatment (adding compression damping) done next year.  We'll see how this year goes.  But there is no doubt that this upgrade was worth the money for me.

• 4 weeks later...
what info are you looking for @kifakw? IT's a set of Sonic springs, a GP (likely Penske) base piston valved for single-leg duty, and a rebound piston likewise shimmed for handling double the spring force. The only OE part that absolutely needs to be replaced is the KYB rebound piston. Then it's just a matter of putting a shim stack together that doesn't suck - unlike KYB/Yamaha's poor efforts.

If you have a spring compressor, a grinder/file and some calipers and metric wrenches it can be done.

Thanks @pattonme for the technical information. Yes the stock fork really do suck.

I'm looking at the GP piston fork kit upgrade, best bang for buck ?

I don't know much about suspension and will really appreciate if you can advise me on what I can get for a small budget. I might be able to get the right oem fork cartridge (with preload and sag adjustment) from my mates who upgraded their fork cartridge. I got this information from YouTube.

As of now , the front fork doesnt feel right despite the adjustments and all. I have set the correct sag and rebound based on my knowledge. The front fork doesnt feel connected to the asphalt at times and confidence inspiring to throw it into the corner.

What's your recommendations , @pattonme

I have gone through the thread which you have started and your service/product seem to be a better deal than the GP Kit.

Unfortunately, I am not based in the states thus I won't be able to send my fork over to you for a rebuilt.

I am looking for a DIY kit similar to GP kind which will be installed by my local mechanic. I am willing to stretch my budget by getting more out of the fork upgrade. What can you advise and offer me?

Sure!  :-)
Here is a link to the piston kit: http://www.stoltecmoto.com/shop/yamaha/fz-09/14-fz-09-fork-piston-kit-service/
I weigh 190lbs without gear, and the installed .95 springs.  I had a local suspension shop do the installation for me, and while I don't have specific info on the shims installed, they were set up to match the springs. 
Good luck with your setup!

• 3 months later...
Sure!  :-) Here is a link to the piston kit: http://www.stoltecmoto.com/shop/yamaha/fz-09/14-fz-09-fork-piston-kit-service/
I weigh 190lbs without gear, and the installed .95 springs.  I had a local suspension shop do the installation for me, and while I don't have specific info on the shims installed, they were set up to match the springs. 
Good luck with your setup!
Did they set it up as a FJ-09? Or do they just give you the Fz-09's settings?I am likely to go this route too if I don't hear from Pattonme, I am assuming he is silly busy with his quality solutions. 

I'm not sure I understand the question exactly. The GP piston kit was for either the FZ-09 or FJ-09. Then my local suspension shop tailored the valving to the springs for proper action/reaction as well as match the shock. I hope that helps!

I'm not sure I understand the question exactly. The GP piston kit was for either the FZ-09 or FJ-09. Then my local suspension shop tailored the valving to the springs for proper action/reaction as well as match the shock. I hope that helps!

Sorry mate should have worded it better. Last time I checked they only had fz-09 listed. I'll shoot them a email. Cheers mate

the extra weight of the FJ just means you would likely run a heavier spring, add a (likely) 0.15mm shim to compensate and maybe a couple of 0.1's for the Comp piston for the same reason. You can of course run the 'FZ' setup in the FJ, it'll just be on the softer end of the scale and you likely turn in the rebound adjuster a extra 1/4 or 1/2 turn.

Archived