Replacement Ignition Key

mattileous

I bent one of my OEM keys. I want to make some blanks but no shops around seem to have a matching blank. I see a few on ebay and amazon but not sure if they are an exact match or not. I have emailed those sellers but was wondering if anyone here has ordered spare keys online?

• Premium Member
Where are you located? Yamaha use different keys in different parts of the world - EU keys have an immobiliser transponder in the key. US ones do not.

In the UK there is a well developed aftermarket industry in supplying & programming the transponder type keys as they are used in most vehicles for security.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...
I also bent one of my keys. After not finding a blank at Wal-Mart or Lowes, I just went to a locksmith. After cutting the key twice on his machine, he came out to the bike with a file and spent 10 minutes making sure it worked in all 3 locks no matter which way the key was inserted.

I also bent one of my keys. After not finding a blank at Wal-Mart or Lowes, I just went to a locksmith. After cutting the key twice on his machine, he came out to the bike with a file and spent 10 minutes making sure it worked in all 3 locks no matter which way the key was inserted.
Leaving the ign key in the seat-release lock places it in a very vulnerable position if one is walking back and forth alongside the bike.   It protrudes a long way and is very easily bent.      After a few 'bends' I'm always now careful to remove the key until the job is done. [em]Wordsmith[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...
I gotta say, after my Kawasaki, the Yamaha key is the cheapest key I have ever seen.  It's like those fake keys you get in the mail ( "you could win THIS CAR if this KEY FITS" ).  The Kawa key is very beefy and I'm not sure you could bend it if you tried.  I immediately started looking for something more substantial when I got the bike but there doesn't appear to be any other ( "beefier" ) options.

I gotta say, after my Kawasaki, the Yamaha key is the cheapest key I have ever seen.  It's like those fake keys you get in the mail ( "you could win THIS CAR if this KEY FITS" ).  The Kawa key is very beefy and I'm not sure you could bend it if you tried.  I immediately started looking for something more substantial when I got the bike but there doesn't appear to be any other ( "beefier" ) options.
Gotta be extremely careful when working on the bike and walking back and forth beside it on the lhs if you've removed the seat(s) and left the key in the seat-release lock.   The key protrudes a long way, and a fly landing on it will bend it in two!   [em]'Cheesy'[/em] is an understatement! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...
heading to Ace this weekend!

Had a spare made at Ace hardware. The blank they use is ILCO X248 YM63. So if you don't need an OEM Yamaha key it takes 4 minutes and costs $2.00.

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived