Ixil Exhaust: Stay Far, FAR Away

zachd

The cat on the Ixil is removable, I drilled mine out. This forum I find very humorous like I said before opinions are like butt holes we all have them Whatever works for you may not work for me and every bike is differant,no matter what exhaust,what flash, and what the air temperature is on any given day. I was on some back roads yesterday south of town air temperature was 53 and I had my FJ pinned WFO 158 mph! I never ride above 6 grand! Lol
That's 250+kph.  I'll add that statement to your BS tab shall I?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering about whether I overlooked shoddy workmanship when I installed the Ixil. Anyway, I took it off yesterday to drill out the Cat (a laborious exercise!) and the welding and alignment was faultless. Looks like the OP got a duff one. Will report back on performance/noise changes.

It's a bit grubby from 3000 miles of English winter!

SKUOkL0.jpg

450 miles yesterday - after drilling/ripping/filing the catalytic honeycomb out. Noise is now just about right (with the cat and db killers it was a bit quiet, killers out too loud) Big boost to mid-range, feels a lot stronger than stock. Also notable (if the dash readout is to be believed) fuel consumption at any given speed on a steady throttle has improved by about 5mpg. A bit more popping on overrun but nothing too worry about (I quite like it).

Might get it flashed now to see if further gains are to be had- can anybody recommend a UK company?

• Premium Member
try Geoff at http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/ - no idea of what he offers for the MT09 but he has a great reputation on the UKGSer & Super Ten forums. He's very near Mallory Park in East Shilton, Leicestershire
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

try Geoff at http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/ - no idea of what he offers for the MT09 but he has a great reputation on the UKGSer & Super Ten forums. He's very near Mallory Park in East Shilton, Leicestershire
Thanks Wessie - came across these guys on an MT-09 forum - seem to have done dozens of MT's, and a few Tracers: 
https://www.facebook.com/StecPerformance/

450 miles yesterday - after drilling/ripping/filing the catalytic honeycomb out. Noise is now just about right (with the cat and db killers it was a bit quiet, killers out too loud) Big boost to mid-range, feels a lot stronger than stock. Also notable (if the dash readout is to be believed) fuel consumption at any given speed on a steady throttle has improved by about 5mpg. A bit more popping on overrun but nothing too worry about (I quite like it).  
Might get it flashed now to see if further gains are to be had- can anybody recommend a UK company?

I have the same exhaust, it would be much appreciated if you could explain a bit more detailed how you did to get the catalytic honeycomb out.

I have the same exhaust, it would be much appreciated if you could explain a bit more detailed how you did to get the catalytic honeycomb out.
Well, it was a bit of a job! Firstly, I tried with the headers on the bike - don't bother. With the headers off, I tried drilling into the honeycomb. Drills went in, but  whatever it is made of made the drill bits basically melt after 3 or 4 passes. I enlarged the holes with the biggest bit I had (drilling in short bursts and dipping in a water bath to cool the bit. With 3 or 4 big holes, I got an old wood chisel and hammered it into the holes, then with mole grips (vise grips I think in most countries) turned the chisel enlarging the holes. Basically, it was still firmly stuck at this point but starting to disintegrate (the honeycomb is quite fragile, but annoyingly resilient!) so I got a pair of needlenose pliers and started removing chunks of cat by 'winding it' onto the pliers a bit like opening an old fashioned can of spam! Eventually larger and larger bits broke off, and I continued until right down to the outer wall of the pipe. Not sure how the cat is bonded in but it is pretty well fixed! Took about an hour after removing the headers. 

Archived