Ixil Exhaust: Stay Far, FAR Away

zachd

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone post up a dyno chart on the Ixil system? I know everyone bash's them but I don't notice any loss with mine at all? Show me please!
This has been posted in several locations, but here you go: http://fj-09.org/thread/3394/fj-current-exhaust-flash-options

As you can see, it makes 4 HP less than stock.  4 isn't something you're likely to notice, but it's 12 hp less than the best option, which you definitely would notice.

• Premium Member

Can anyone post up a dyno chart on the Ixil system? I know everyone bash's them but I don't notice any loss with mine at all? Show me please!

You get more noise so it feels faster then stock probably.

Danmoto is definitely the boss of the exhausts and it's one of the cheapest, so great value there as long as the craftsmanship, materials used and fit is ok. Still I'd like to see that graph overlaid to see if the bottom end still holds up in comparison and that the great top end is not at the expense of losing power lower down but it doesn't seem that way. Big gains usually add gains throughout the range.

So how often do you guys ride above 8 grand on your fj's with aftermarket exhausts? Any idea how much the stock exhaust weighs? Does everyone's FJ make the same power stock?? Of course not. If Joe had a fj with a graves system on it and he himself weighs 250 lbs. Then take Mike who has the same bike and exhaust but he weighs himself 220 lbs. Who's bike is faster and who's bike is making more power?? So how many guys are still riding above 8 grand?? Often? Only on your way home from work? Or may even a quick ice cream run?

So how often do you guys ride above 8 grand on your fj's with aftermarket exhausts? Any idea how much the stock exhaust weighs? Does everyone's FJ make the same power stock?? Of course not. If Joe had a fj with a graves system on it and he himself weighs 250 lbs. Then take Mike who has the same bike and exhaust but he weighs himself 220 lbs. Who's bike is faster and who's bike is making more power?? So how many guys are still riding above 8 grand?? Often? Only on your way home from work? Or may even a quick ice cream run?
Have you ever ridden this bike? I'm over 8 grand all the time. It's hard not to. And it's not just about power but also about throttle response. It's a completely different bike with the exhaust and flash. 

Another statistic for you guys is if you trim 7 pounds off your bike you should gain 1 hp? True or false?
You're not "gaining" horsepower.  You are simply lowering the weight per horsepower ratio. 
For example if you and your bike weight 640lbs (440 + 200), and your Ixil exhaust bike makes 103 hp, your pounds to HP ratio is 6.213 lbs/HP. 

Losing 20lbs of fat will change that ratio.  620lbs / 103hp = 6.019 lbs/hp

To achieve that same lbs/hp ratio using horsepower, you would have to gain ~3.3 horsepower.  640lbs / 106.3 = 6.020 lbs/hp

So while horsepower and weight are not the same thing, a lower lbs/hp ratio is generally better, and will make for a faster bike in a straight line.  However, a LIGHTER bike will handle better in the corners (everything else being equal).

And because I'm bored today at work: choosing one of the exhausts on here that makes 115hp, gives you a weight per horsepower ratio of (640lbs/115) 5.565 lbs/HP :)

To achieve that ratio using weight loss and the Ixil exhaust, you would have to lose 67 pounds between you and the bike.
5.65 lbs/hp x 103 hp = 573 lbs
640lbs - 573lbs = 67lbs

Somebody on the graphs thread said the Ixil is the only aftermarket pipe with a Cat. Is this true and has anyone tried removing it?
It's not removable. Look at my picture of it from the first page. 
The Akro system has an optional cat you can install. Other than that, I don't think any other aftermarket system has a cat.

The cat on the Ixil is removable, I drilled mine out. This forum I find very humorous like I said before opinions are like butt holes we all have them
Whatever works for you may not work for me and every bike is differant,no matter what exhaust,what flash, and what the air temperature is on any given day. I was on some back roads yesterday south of town air temperature was 53 and I had my FJ pinned WFO 158 mph! I never ride above 6 grand! Lol

I'm not getting the power loss thing - compared to a reflashed stock exhaust, yes, but not standard. Is the graph for the Ixil reflashed?

Those Dan Moto exhausts look to be amazing value - whether shipping and import duty from china makes it less so, I don't know. Tempted by the one with on the fly adjustable baffles - nice and quiet so you don't wake the neighbours, then open 'em up!

Another statistic for you guys is if you trim 7 pounds off your bike you should gain 1 hp? True or false?
You're not "gaining" horsepower.  You are simply lowering the weight per horsepower ratio. 
For example if you and your bike weight 640lbs (440 + 200), and your Ixil exhaust bike makes 103 hp, your pounds to HP ratio is 6.213 lbs/HP. 

Losing 20lbs of fat will change that ratio.  620lbs / 103hp = 6.019 lbs/hp

To achieve that same lbs/hp ratio using horsepower, you would have to gain ~3.3 horsepower.  640lbs / 106.3 = 6.020 lbs/hp

So while horsepower and weight are not the same thing, a lower lbs/hp ratio is generally better, and will make for a faster bike in a straight line.  However, a LIGHTER bike will handle better in the corners (everything else being equal).

And because I'm bored today at work: choosing one of the exhausts on here that makes 115hp, gives you a weight per horsepower ratio of (640lbs/115) 5.565 lbs/HP :)

To achieve that ratio using weight loss and the Ixil exhaust, you would have to lose 67 pounds between you and the bike.
5.65 lbs/hp x 103 hp = 573 lbs
640lbs - 573lbs = 67lbs

You're not an engineer, are you Rocky???  ;-) Good post, BTW. 
I always it was 8lbs = 1hp.  Your math shows it's actually 6lbs.  I like you math better!

Archived