New FJ-09 owner from Michigan

Whats up people?  New FJ-09 owner from Michigan, weather sucks so picking it up next Friday.  Very experienced rider coming from various motorcycles, latest one's being a 2014 KLR and 2013 XT 250.  Getting tired of doing the trails, knees wont have it anymore, and looking for more street stuff.  So, I have heard thru the grapevine that I should visit the site also heard that the V-Stream windshield, which I ordered today and having installed next week, is melting parts.  Is this true?  Can someone point me in the direction of that thread?  Has anyone experienced this?  If so what temp?  Anyways, my bike, a 2015 FJ-09, factory side bags, factory heated grips, and I am thinking about getting the ECU re-flashed.  Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.  Thanks for you time.

Welcome aboard, you'll love the bike. Michigan rider here as well (St. Clair Shores), picked mine up 3 weeks ago. As far as the windscreen issue, I read the thread (can't find it), basically just said when sunlight hits the rider side of it and refracts down it can cause issues if the "hotspot" is on the LCD screen. This can happen with any windscreen, so it's important to park in shade or make sure the sun is coming through from the front side of the screen.

Sounds like you've got a nice bike coming soon, the heated grips will be really nice in fall and spring. I've been riding the entire winter, just adding a few extra layers of clothes underneath the gear. 35+ degrees is bearable, upper 40s I can ride all day comfortably. If you ever want to get rid of the factory side bags, I've got dibs haha
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

Welcome aboard, you'll love the bike. Michigan rider here as well (St. Clair Shores), picked mine up 3 weeks ago. As far as the windscreen issue, I read the thread (can't find it), basically just said when sunlight hits the rider side of it and refracts down it can cause issues if the "hotspot" is on the LCD screen. This can happen with any windscreen, so it's important to park in shade or make sure the sun is coming through from the front side of the screen.  
Sounds like you've got a nice bike coming soon, the heated grips will be really nice in fall and spring. I've been riding the entire winter, just adding a few extra layers of clothes underneath the gear. 35+ degrees is bearable, upper 40s I can ride all day comfortably. If you ever want to get rid of the factory side bags, I've got dibs haha

HAHA, wont even see my bags till late April.  Found the thread on the windscreen, but they have had issues with other screens as well.  I will park in the shade or cover it with my coat, problem solved.  St. Clair Shores, I wanna say Detroit area?  I am in Kalamazoo, ride that way a lot.  Also video blog on YouTube, Mike Mike Motorbike.  Gonna do a whole bike reveal for the masses next weekend.  I also ride a great deal, twice this January, 4 times in February and a bunch last month till the f'ing snow came back.  I just dress warm and go for it.  Thanks for the welcome.  Maybe see you around your area sometime when I am in the D.  

Whats up people?  New FJ-09 owner from Michigan, weather sucks so picking it up next Friday.  Very experienced rider coming from various motorcycles, latest one's being a 2014 KLR and 2013 XT 250.  Getting tired of doing the trails, knees wont have it anymore, and looking for more street stuff.  So, I have heard thru the grapevine that I should visit the site also heard that the V-Stream windshield, which I ordered today and having installed next week, is melting parts.  Is this true?  Can someone point me in the direction of that thread?  Has anyone experienced this?  If so what temp?  Anyways, my bike, a 2015 FJ-09, factory side bags, factory heated grips, and I am thinking about getting the ECU re-flashed.  Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.  Thanks for you time. 

Welcome!  Glad you found the forum

Late April, not too bad just a few weeks, hopefully you get sick of them a few weeks after that and post them on eBay as pick up only so I get them for a steal  (rofl)  

I can definitely tell the west side of the state has worse weather than the east side. I've been consistently riding a few times a week.

Yep I'm on the water, 25 mins north east of Detroit. If you're ever down in this area give me a shout and I'm down for a cruise around the bay (nice scenic cruise not too many twisting real mellow ride) 
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r

Yeah, I was suppose to pick her up tomorrow, but snow tonight and in the morning with a high of 32 tomorrow, didn't want to chance hitting ice. Plus, I may get the ECU re-flashed while I am waiting as well install of the V-Stream sport touring windscreen. Its only 7 days, have to cage the kids to school for 5 of that so I really cannot ride till that weekend. I will be in Hazel Park the weekend of the 24, working on the wife's grandmothers house, may be able to negotiate a quick buzz up your way. Will let you know in a PM. Thanks.

FYI I'm not sure I'd get the ECU flashed before I'd ridden it for a while. Although I had mine done by Nels up in the Seattle area you might want to ride it a while first to see what it feels like to you stock. You may be fine with the bike as it is.

Yeah, I was suppose to pick her up tomorrow, but snow tonight and in the morning with a high of 32 tomorrow, didn't want to chance hitting ice. Plus, I may get the ECU re-flashed while I am waiting as well install of the V-Stream sport touring windscreen. Its only 7 days, have to cage the kids to school for 5 of that so I really cannot ride till that weekend. I will be in Hazel Park the weekend of the 24, working on the wife's grandmothers house, may be able to negotiate a quick buzz up your way. Will let you know in a PM. Thanks.
No need to chance it especially with ice. Used to live in HP at 75 & 9 mile on the border of Ferndale. Only 15 minutes away and I ride to royal Oak weekly. Shoot me a PM if you make it out that way.  
Mike
'05 Honda CRF450r

Archived