Saddlebags question(s)

• Premium Member
Looking at the saddlebags, I was wondering if anyone has the Yamaha OEM setup and could tell me how wide those are.  I can't seem to find the dimensions anywhere.

Also, anyone have Alu-case Xplorer 30's?  Do you like them?  How long have you had them?  Have they leaked at all?

I live in the Pacific Northwest, so waterproof is a must.

Thanks!

I can measure my OEM hard bags when I get home, I just use my Kriega US-20 for day to day commuting. I have tested the waterproofness a little bit, and while it wasn't a monsoon outside, I did ride in some fairly good rain for 45 min, and my clothes were still dry. There is a gasket that goes around the inside lip, so if that wasn't there they probably wouldn't have worked as well. I'll post up later with all the dimensions.

Just installed my shad sh36 cases and I'm so glad I went with them over the oem cases. Because...they are pink and green and sing the Barney song as you go down the road? Because...they have a built in grille and can make you a grilled cheese sandwich as you motor down the road? Because...they trap the harmful exhaust from the evil ICE powering your bike and emit rainbow farts instead? Please, do tell us why you are so glad, otherwise you post comes across as an ad from the South Park episode. ;)

I can get some pics on here after work. They just fit and function very well. Easy to install. Convenient shelf inside so you don't pinch stuff in the lid. And almost the same width as the bars with guards. And cheaper.

I plan to purchase SHAD SH36 side cases and possible SH48 top case. You can get all three cases with mounting equipment for about the same price as the Yamaha side cases and mounts (no top case).

IMO the SH36s , look better, have more storage, have great reviews, and are more cost effective than the Yamaha cases.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I can get some pics on here after work. They just fit and function very well. Easy to install. Convenient shelf inside so you don't pinch stuff in the lid. And almost the same width as the bars with guards. And cheaper.
And they hold a full face helmet, which the stockers will not accomplish. 

• Premium Member
So no one knows if the OEMs are truly "waterproof"?

I am going to get side cases. The OEMs are the path of least resistance, and the simplest, though I'm not a fan of side loading clamshells. I prefer top loading ones.

The GIVI PLR2122 racks (which will hold 4 different GIVI cases) with the GIVI E22 side cases seem like a good place to start.

PLR2122_zpsibegpwnn.jpg

givi_e22_zpswprfe864.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
20.5" front to back; about 10" wide; and 14.5" tall. Here are my bags installed, along with my Kriega bag. 

10" wide?  Well sh*t.  I was looking at the Alu-case Xplorer 30 and they are 18.9" wide.  Not sure I want them now.  Stick out way too far. 

Also, anyone have Alu-case Xplorer 30's?  Do you like them?  How long have you had them?  Have they leaked at all? 

Thanks!
The Xplorer cases are guaranteed waterproof just FYI! In terms of the 30L cases, I could get you in contact with a customer or two that has purchased these so you can get an idea of their thoughts, if that's something you'd be interested in. 

• Premium Member

Thanks!
The Xplorer cases are guaranteed waterproof just FYI! In terms of the 30L cases, I could get you in contact with a customer or two that has purchased these so you can get an idea of their thoughts, if that's something you'd be interested in.
Sure, I'd be open to speaking to some customers who have these.  

Sure, I'd be open to speaking to some customers who have these.  
Now [em]that's[/em] what I call customer service - so rare in this motorcycling world of ours, in my lengthy experience. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Great, let me see what I can do!

Edit: Sent out a few inquiries, and will update as the replies come in!

Here's the first (regarding the Xplorer Top Case):

"I decided to go with this case after researching several adventure bike forums for input and recommendations. One reason I did not go with the standard OEM case was the argument that if I ever switch to another brand of bike, I could use the case on the other brand of bike. Installation was easy, once I had the Rear Alurack in place. Looks great on my bike! Material seems durable and of a high quality and I liked the all black look. Looking forward to purchasing the side panniers in the near future!"

Archived